SSD Migration - keep it simple & use the OEM migration tool (for SK Hynix drives at least)

I just wanted to share that I initially used Macrium Reflect to clone and migrate my Windows 10 OS from my SK Hynix Gold P31 500GB unit to a new 2TB version of the same model. While Macrium Reflect appears to be versatile and useful software, this resulted in considerable difficulty in resizing the C: partition to maximum capacity, so I went back to the proverbial drawing board looking for a simpler solution. So it turns out (and imagine that) SK Hynix has its own drive migration tool, and in under ten minutes I cloned and resized the partition with a simple windows executable from their website and a budget usb-3 nvme enclosure. I hope this makes things simpler for the next person!

2 Likes

On Linux, I’d do a dd+gdisk+resize2fs (or the appropriate resizer for your FS type). dd to clone the drive, gdisk to resize the partition, and resize2fs to resize the filesystem. Simple, doesn’t depend on which SSD you have, and works from any live distro.

3 Likes

The trick I find is to have a USB drive with Ventoy on it and then have both the Macrium WinPE ISO as well as a live Linux ISO of your choice that includes GParted (I’m personally partial to Linux Mint, though until Mint 21.x is released you’ll likely need to rely on the “Edge” version of Mint 20.3 that comes with a newer kernel in order for it to work properly on the Framework Laptop)

Alternatively I’ve been recently made aware of Hiren’s BootCD PE which includes Macrium Reflect as well as Partition Master which I’ve used for over a decade now to expand and/or shrink NTFS partitions (and I think it might even support various Linux partition formats?).

That’s pretty cool. I just helped my uncle upgrade from an old HDD to an SSH. I used Clonezilla and I had an easy enough time creating a one-to-one replica of the HDD. I didn’t get a chance to move the partitions around, but I was going to use SystemRescue Linux. SystemRescue includes GParted. My plan was to move the partitions around so that I could “expand” the C:\ partition with the Windows 10 Disk Manager.