SSD overheating

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the Framework family and excited to begin my journey with all of you. I just bought a Framework laptop with the following configuration:

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7840U
  • Memory: 16GB DDR5-5600 (2 x 8GB)
  • Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™ M.2 2280 - 500GB
  • Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

I’m a complete newbie to Linux, so I would appreciate any advice you might have!

I have a question about my SSD’s operating temperature. I’ve noticed that the SSD runs at around 70°C during normal use, such as web browsing, typing this post, and watching videos (see image attached). Is this normal?

Additionally, the bottom surface of the laptop feels quite warm, around 45°C, based on my estimation. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Like

Sensor 1 on the SN770 is the controller, which doesn’t mind heat as much. Sensor 2 is near the NAND, which doesn’t like heat.

Pretty much all the sensors in your laptop are in the mid-40s Celsius. What’s your ambient temperature? Is the laptop on a hard surface (like a table) or something softer, like your lap? The intakes might be getting partially blocked.

Hello @Lartigue_Lionel,

Welcome to the community. Congratulations on your Framework Laptop 13! The temperatures you are describing are not out of the ordinary. The SSD you have like most modern quality drives have great response to thermal extremes and will automatically dial themselves back.

Newer systems, especially laptops are designed to run higher temperatures than what was traditionally considered normal. They all have monitoring circuitry to dial themselves back if they are pushing themselves too hard.

Like @Forge said, keeping your laptop on a hard surface will ensure that it is getting proper airflow to keep itself within operating temperatures.

Enjoy the new machine and welcome to the Linux community as well. :grin:

Isn’t it the other way around? Controller needs cooling, flash likes it toasty (within reason).

Though the controller being that warm when not doing anything does hint at the ssd not sleeping when it should or there is actually something going on.

2 Likes

Those temps don’t seem normal to me when not actively writing to the drive, it also seems to be ~25°C higher than anything else in your system including the second temp sensor of the SSD.

I checked a few reviews (1) (2) of this drive and they show idle temps closer to 50°C in a desktop, I would expect idle temps of ~40°C and for both sensors to be reporting similar temps during idle.

I believe Adrian is correct the controller benefits from cooling (to avoid throttling) while the NAND works best warm and something is not quite right here.

I would contact support and backup your data.

Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you for your responses. It seems there is quite a bit to explore, given the diversity of your answers. I did some research on the operating temperature range of the SSD installed in my laptop, and it should never exceed 85°C, which has been approached a few times.

During normal usage, such as web browsing and text editing, the SSD’s temperature is around 67°C. So far, I have not performed any heavy workload tasks on my laptop, and I am concerned that the SSD temperature might increase significantly.

I will contact support and keep you informed of their feedback.

Have a nice day!

1 Like

Yeah, missed that, I think I was sleepy. Controller needs/wants cooling (and sounds like it’s not idling/sleeping properly for OP) and the NAND itself doesn’t care much about temperatures. Thanks for the catch/correction.