SSDs with support for LVFS

It may be the case that I don’t understand how LVFS works (current laptop is legacy BIOS, so I have not been able to use it to update firmware), but I have not been able to find which NVMe SSDs have support for it; I’ve heard that some Samsung drives are supported (among other manufacturers), but I have not been able to find any first-hand sources and Samsung does not even show up in the official LVFS supported devices page.

If possible, I would love to buy an SSD with Linux firmware update support, as I do not intend to have windows installed and would rather not deal with getting windows running on a USB just to update firmware. Does anyone know and/or can point me in the right direction to where I can find some information on this?

Thanks!

1 Like

I did see that some Samsung drives are supported but it’s disheartening to see that they’re not on the official supported devices page.

All other drives I have are definitely unsupported because they have official Windows updaters and the manufacturers don’t publish ISOs to upgrade them so that Linux users could do it themselves. That includes:

• Sabrent Rocket
  • WD SN850

How much effort does it take to have a page with an ISO?

Since the firmware updates are locked away inside Windows executables, there’s no way to retrieve the update files except through Windows.

3 Likes