Attempting To Update WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe Firmware In Linux

Hey everyone,

I’ve read a lot of threads adjacent to the issue I’m having, but none of them quite address my issue, so I wanted to see if the community had some thoughts. I, like many of us, am dealing with the issue of a faulty WD SN850 SSD drive for my 11th Generation DIY Framework Laptop, on which I have installed Linux Mint. Things were working pretty flawlessly for the last year, but upon doing a cold boot the other day, the Framework BIOS stopped being able to see my drive and I got the infamous Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed error message.

I have already successfully done a BIOS update to version 3.10, hoping it would address my issue, but it has not. I am now moving on to the other common suggested fix, updating the firmware on the SSD, but I’m hitting a bit of a wall here and could use some advice. As I’m on Linux, I can’t directly run the WD Dashboard utility. I attempted to use a bootable Windows 10 USB to download the exe, but unlike my bootable Mint USB (which I’m using to run the computer right now), I do not seem to be able to boot from said USB, I’m getting various blue screen of death error codes (I have successfully booted from this USB on other computers and installed Windows with it).

I found the thread here (Western Digital Drive Update Guide Without Windows/WD Dashboard) explaining how to install the firmware manually on Linux without Windows or the WD Dashboard, but running cat /sys/class/nvme/nvme0/model tells me there is no such file or directory, which isn’t surprising since my whole issue is that the BIOS can’t see my drive. Like another thread suggested, my drive, while mostly invisible to all utilities like Disks and GParted, does appear if I run lspci, although weirdly it says I have an SN 720, which doesn’t match the version on my original order receipt.

Basically, my question boils down to, is there any way to apply the firmware update to the drive when lspci appears to be the only utility that sees the drive in any fashion? I’m well aware the drive may simply be defective and beyond repair, but so many people have had luck fixing this issue with the SSD firmware update that I wanted to see if there was any way to pull this off, as most of the firmware update guides assume you’re working with a drive that the os/bios can still see.

Thanks for your time and help.

Please reach out to support for this. Better suited to get this setup there.