(Suggestion Needed) Random shutdown and freeze problem (Windows)

At this point, I’m guessing FW support is just getting you through the hoops …to get the laptop onto a known happy path / baseline, with no/minimal deviation so they can troubleshoot this with the least amount of variation / unknown.

i.e. Not so much about ‘finding the root cause’, but more about ‘do it their way that they know will have a high success rate to get to a steady state’.

1 Like

I am using two HDMI expansion cards. Not sure if either of them causes the issue.
Yeah, it was crazying. I have to use external monitors to work.
And it is hard to replicate the issue in my case, sometimes takes 3 days …

The issue may be related to expansion cards in general, for me it was just the DP card. People may want to try a process of elimination by just starting with the USB-C needed for power and adding back cards to see if the problem returns. I would focus testing on any external display cards, DP and HDMI.

One thing I did note, when I did my testing I monitored Device Manager. Although my DP card would not immediately freeze my computer it would have trouble loading and appearing in Device Manager, connecting and disconnecting repeatedly. This may be a way to quickly diagnose a problematic card.

Thanks for your input. I will definitely test my expansion card to see if they cause problems.

Hi All,

I am also experiencing a similar issue. I put my Framework laptop to sleep and I’ll come back later (usually after 8-24 hours, I work 9-5) and find that the laptop has randomly shut down.

Working with Framework Support right now but I heavily suspect its to do with my HDMI Expansion Card.

I removed all Expansion cards and put my laptop to sleep and had no issues.

Testing if its the HDMI Expansion card now by putting my laptop to sleep with the HDMI card removed.

If after 24 hours my laptop does not shut down while in sleep, I think the HDMI card I have is faulty/to blame.

Will keep you guys updated.

1 Like

Thanks, Paul, this information is very important to me. I am using two HDMI Expansion Cards on my laptop.

1 Like

Also, just to clarify, the random shut downs happen even if there is no HDMI cable attached to the HDMI Expansion card…which is quite frankly weird.

If it does turn out that the HDMI Card is faulty and causing the shut downs, I would be intrigued to figure out how an ‘idle’ port is causing the system to crash.

Current Test
So I completed my test of having the HDMI Card removed and putting my laptop to sleep.
After one night, my laptop did not mysteriously shut down/reboot while in sleep.

Tests Performed So Far

1. Test: I have removed all left-side Expansion Cards (HDMI and USB-A). Result: No random shutdown/reboot while in sleep

2. Test: I have removed the USB-A Expansion Card from the bottom-left Expansion bay. HDMI Card was kept inserted in top-left bay. Result: Random shutdown/sleep occurred while laptop was in sleep.

3. Test: I have removed the HDMI Card from the top-left Expansion Bay but keep the USB A Card in the bottom-left bay. Result: No random shut down/reboot occurred in sleep.

HDMI Expansion Card Insertion Removal Sound
Just to add, I am noticing that when the HDMI Expansion Card is unplugged from the laptop, I get the standard ‘device removed sound’ from the laptop.

However, with the other Expansion Cards (USB A or C), I don’t get that ‘device removed’ sound from the laptop when I unplug them.

I have tried plugging the HDMI Expansion card in all 4 bays and the result is always the same: plugging and unplugging triggers the ‘removed device’ sound even if there is not HDMI input cable inserted in the HDMI card.

It kind of sounds like the HDMI Card is never ‘idle’ when its inserted in the bay, even if there is no active HDMI input.

Conclusions
Its either:

• A faulty HDMI Expansion Card. I only have one so I can’t really verify if its just my HDMI Card (seems less likely given other comments).

• Faulty firmware for the HDMI Expansion Card that causes the machine to reboot even if no HDMI source is connected to the card. Given the test results and previous comments, this seems to be the likely case.

Since Framework seems to be developing firmware that could fix this, I may just deal with removing the HDMI Expansion card whenever I put the machine to sleep (to be tested).

Or order another USB C card and connect the HDMI card to that (this idea was from another user).

Either way, a firmware update for the HDMI/DP cards is the best fix for this and hopefully Framework resolves in a timely manner.

On a related note, their support and responsiveness to this issue has been top-notch!

Hope this post wasn’t too verbose!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. It is very logical and clear.
I am using two HDMI cards on the left side of the laptop.
Currently, I really hope that my experiment can be as quick as yours. The issue of my laptop appears much less frequently.
I have been using two HDMI expansion cards with two monitors connected for 5 days. It is very stable. I cannot reproduce the sleep-shutdown and freeze issues. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hopefully, it is a faulty firmware issue, so all our problems can be resolved completely.

I am seeing the same behaviour on my new Framework. It goes into modern standby, and then no events until it starts back up. It’s not hibernating.

Only possible strange things I’m seeing in the event log:

Process C:\Windows\System32\WUDFHost.exe (process ID:1396) reset policy scheme from {390d510a-660a-49c5-b405-5b75487746e0} to {390d510a-660a-49c5-b405-5b75487746e0}
I get these several times a minute active or in modern standby. I created a new power policy and I still get the events (though with a different guid).

The description for Event ID 7021 from source Netwtw10 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

The system cannot find the file specified

And

The description for Event ID 7025 from source Netwtw10 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\NDMP1
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX210 160MHz

The system cannot find the file specified

From Server:

The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{93A0881F-C41C-4181-B192-5B94E5F2024B} because another computer on the network has the same name.  The server could not start.

Then about 3 hours later it shuts itself off. There are no other power events in the log.

There’s nothing too special about my setup, but I’ll try isolating it to only the USB-C charging port tonight to see if it’s the USB-A port or the ethernet+USB-A hub and its devices, or a monitor. I’ll also try a test with disabling sleep, though of course would prefer not to do that.

It’s not clear to me how widespread these issues are and if they aren’t widespread, why not.

1 Like

I just bought this laptop as well and I had HARD CRASHES during OS install. I have swapped memory and SSD. I even tried to install Fedora and that did the same thing with a Hard Crash. These hard crashes happen at various points. Sometimes as soon as I turn the computer on. This is truly a DOA. I tried running 1 memory stick, swapped memory and each time I would get to some stage and then Hard Crash.

I have built computers since the 1990’s and this is the first time I have ever seen such a weird set of issues. In fact I have never had a truly DOA system where swapping memory or storage did not fix the issue or using a different OS. Linux always runs for me when I have windows issues. So this is the first time that I am actually frustrated to the point of posting in any forum and to see others having the same issue truly saddens me.

I think in this case, the FW support can give you a replacement.

Framework’s own QC is really YMMV…and there’s been multiple post / reports / user experiences that stated / hinted / indicated that.

By the way, how is your laptop? Which batch is your laptop? Is it good in general?

I found another problem these days, when I unplug the USB c charging connector, the whole expansion card is pulled out … I tested multiple expansion bays, and it is the problem of one of my expansion bays, which has a loose connection … :joy:

11th Gen batch 2.

Oh boy…long list of rants over the past 12 months or so. I’ve got all [almost all] that out of my system over numerous posts…and have accepted my fate with my particular unit.

I can be very harsh against my particular 11th gen Framework laptop…but that might be because 7 of 12 laptaops I own are Thinkpads (X, P and W line), 2 of 12 are Dell Precision and Rugged Extreme line.

In summary: Depends what your baseline expectation / experience has been with laptops…you may / may not find the Framework Laptop acceptable.

For me (with my probably rather unpopular opinion of my unit): It probably is not the worst CAD$2600 laptop that you can buy, but it’s the worst CAD$2600 laptop that I own. On the flip side, it’s the most repairable laptop I own…except battery replacement (no battery is available in the marketplace yet…for a year now(?) ). But that brings me to “Do I want / need to repair a laptop that I don’t use?”.

For example, from this short video…there are four potential issues one could run into (if we’re being picky):

1. The chamfered edge isn’t deep enough…lifting up the screen successfully every single time could depend on humidity / fingertip grip…or use your finger nails…not comfortable.
  2. Screen wobble / hinge resonance.
  3. Wake time / responsiveness.
  4. Fingerprint reader accuracy / reliability.
1 Like

With everything unplugged, no crash last night. Only the Netwtw10 events appear between the kernel power events. So that’s something of a result but could be correlation only. Can at least try to some shorter tests to see which device is making the events.

1 Like

Hi All,

Just wanted to send some good news!

Framework Support has been helping me and I think this issue may be resolved for me!

Resolution
Essentially, Framework Support told me to do two things:

1. Ensure I have all the latest Windows updates
  2. Download and install the Intel Driver and Support Assistant Tool ( https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html)

I was behind on some Windows updates but more importantly, I had 3 Intel driver updates: BlueTooth, WiFi and a Graphics Driver update.

Results
After making sure my machine was up-to-date on Windows and Intel Drivers, its been two days since my laptop has shut down/restarted while in sleep mode.

I have tested the following scenarios:

1. Laptop in Sleep Mode with HDMI Expansion Card plugged in (but no HDMI Input)
  2. Laptop in Sleep Mode with HDMI Expansion Card plugged in (with HDMI Input)

If this works for a couple more days, I’m calling this a win.

Honestly, I think it was the Graphics Driver update that solved the issue (that’s the only update that has anything remotely to with HDMI).

Although, I can’t be sure and am not a Windows update expert.

What I am sure of, is that it is nice to wake and find that my laptop hasn’t randomly shut down when I put it to sleep the night before :grinning:

I’ve attached screenshots of my Windows Updates and Intel Driver updates (installed around the 24-Sep-2022).

Final Note: I think I started seeing the GPU in Task Manager and the HDMI Expansion Card pops up as a device in ‘BlueTooth & devices’ (although, I’m not too sure if they were there already)

1 Like

Is this the version you installed for the Intel Graphics component?

The first one, yes (31.0.101.3413)

1 Like

@Paul_David_Natarajan Thanks for your information.
My current driver is :

I will update it now.

2 Likes