(Suggestion Needed) Random shutdown and freeze problem (Windows)

SO, maybe I spoke too soon…
I just got another random shut down during Sleep mode. This time, the HDMI Card was plugged in and had HDMI input.

What’s weird is that the random shutdown happened in the span of about ~1 hour of being put to sleep.

Will look at logs and see if I can find anything

For me, it happens sometimes in two days or three days. No clear pattern.
And in the past week, 7 days, I was using it with two HDMI plugged into two monitors.
No issue at all. And I do not know the reason. It is before I update any intel driver.

I think probably, it is the HDMI expansion card that causes the issue.
In the very beginning I got my laptop, one HDMI expansion card sometimes cannot recognize the monitor. After one day, it is OK to recognize, but within two weeks, my laptop experienced 4 freeze/shutdown issues.

Do you all happen to have the Display port adapters plugged in? I’m 99% sure that they’re the reason for the freezes.

I have an HDMI Expansion card but I’ve heard similar stories for the DP Card.

Following up, of course as soon as I think I’ve cracked the code, it freezes and dies. So I guess the displayport adapter wasn’t the case. I also have the HDMI adapter in. But I don’t think that’s the case because my wife has it in her laptop and it’s still living. Something else that I’m doing that maybe is different than the norm is running WSL2/Hyper-V what about you all?

I am also running WSL2.

1 Like

Okay, so today, I decided I’m returning my Framework laptop as I’m still within the return period.

I’m kind of debating whether I should exchange it for another model and hope it doesn’t have the same random shut down issues.

Or get a refund and just wait for Framework to sort out this random shut down problem and then buy a new model.

Or use the refund to get an entirely new laptop.

I get the impression that this only affects a small number of people/machines.

If it affected the majority Framework laptops, we’d certainly heard more about it.

What are you thoughts?

(Also, apologies if this comment belongs in another thread)

Get a refund. Try out other laptop / brands. At least get a taste of what you can expect from this year’s offerings. …and wait for [whatever this is] to settle down…then decide if you miss the Framework Laptop.

It’s like dating…don’t commit prematurely.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback.

I got my return shipping label today (pretty quick response time from Framework!).

Part of me still wants to hold onto it because I knew when I bought a Framework I would one day have to tinker around with it and repair/upgrade the machine.

I just didn’t think that day would be within the first month of getting the machine or the problem would be as nebulous as this (is it the HDMI? the RTC battery? the Expansion Cards in general?).

I’m thinking of getting a System76 laptop (the Galago Pro, also 13-inch) with the Linux OS and none of the firmware issues that people encounter.

I’ll look around but hopefully one day a more mature Framework laptop will grace my table!

Hi Paul, I was thinking the same thing, return the laptop. But currently, all my issues have gone otherwise I am in the same position as yours.

I was thinking to return the current one and immediately order a new one and hoping the next one is good. Currently, the most recent batch is on Oct.

I really like FW, because I can freely choose SSD and ram. Having a laptop with the fastest SSD speed and 32GB at a relatively low price is such a cool thing. As a previous mac user, I can never imagine. Think about how much a 2TB SSD 32GB Ram mac will cost.

I will not use a Linux laptop, since the software is very limited to me. Using WSL2 is generally good for me. And most of the time, I am using remote development on the server.

Hope you all the best in shopping for new laptops.

1 Like

I thought about something similar…a rolling unit…batch to batch (and just move the SSD over)…but that’s really d*ck move…against other buyers and the environment (shipping), and Framework. RIght now, I’m just on the fence waiting for issues to iron out…this year…if that. I still have issues with my 11th gen unit…so history isn’t great when I’m looking at “Will I get a solid unit within warranty period / 1-year?”.

I like the marketing message, the support experience…not so much the physical product, nor the current state of the engineering output.

I though my issue has been resolved because it has been OK for 12 days.
BUT today:

• The laptop is locked before I go to sleep and the next day: Oct 1, 2022, 11:00 AM when I get up the laptop is shut down again.
  • Oct 1 from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM, put the laptop to sleep. Go from home to the library. It shut down again.

@Second_Coming are you using Linux or Windows, never have such issues?

Both (Windows 10 Pro 21H2, and RHEL 8.6).

My system has issue with sleep consistency…specifically with entering sleep (not its only issue). Most of the time, it will sleep…but there are random* occasions where it would not sleep successfully / completely…

• Random as in reason(s) unknown to me (no such thing as truly random in the macro world, only lack of details / info / knowledge).

The laptop seems to be very picky about what states it needs to be in (in conjunction with other components) before it can happily enter sleep. It’s not resilient in the sense that if you deviate from its happy path / state, it’ll just not sleep.

It’s almost like the Windows ME / 98 days where you want to shutdown a system…but it’s stuck in shutting down. i.e. Not doing what it’s told.

Right now, I’m just waiting / praying for fixes…if any. For my use cases, it’s not a dependable unit yet. (Hell, I can’t even power a laptop cooler with its USB-A port / expansion card)

…but it’s getting there…at the moment, it’s a cafe-ready, casual browsing laptop.

And, let’s be frank here…do I really care about the ‘why’ behind such issues? Not really, I care that they do / don’t occur. Not every user of any product (be it computers or not) want to be an engineer of that product. Just want to use it, to do what I need it to do. It’s a tool.

I thought I was done with ranting…but I guess there’s still some left in my system. Seems like I need a strink to recover from the disappointment.

So, I think this is still an issue.

I’ve been having random crashes just like described in this forum post.

Laptop crashed and blue-screened a lot after installing windows 11. System became a whole lot more stable after installing SSD and Intel firmware/patches.

However still getting the crash where the laptop will start fresh instead of waking from sleep if I put it away for a while. Anytime this happens I can also find critical Kernel-Power 41 (63) events in the event viewer.

I also have to say that communicating with support has been like pulling teeth. Questions I ask get ignored, information I give seems to not get transferred between different support workers.

Either other support workers can’t read the email chain when a case gets handed over or they’re not reading it.

I’ve been trouble shooting this issue for over a week now. Decided to just ask them to start the RMA process cause I feel I’ve wasted enough time on this. Honestly rather disappointed.

Laptop itself is great however? :upside_down_face:

I’ve started to observe this issue. Random shutdowns, sometime when I am browsing, sometime during software update, sometime during start up, sometime after restore from hibernate.

I am using Manjaro on 12th Gen, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD Samsung. I don’t think this is a software issue (tried different kernels) as shutdown sometime happens before OS gets fully loaded.

Laptop arrived in October and did not have this issue before.

What has been the consensus here? any test I can do to verify the issue? Heard also it happens when CPU usage goes up.

Edit: Just to add, since beginning I had occasional freeze issue that would last for 30s.

Edit: I am now getting a lot more random shutdowns. Once it starts, it keeps happening every few minutes. CPU doesn’t seem hot.

I’ve been in contact with support. They have been very responsive and their instruction were clear.

I still have the random shutdown issue. The longest It stays on for ~30min. Shutdown can happen at anytime: during boot, when I use the laptop, immediately after I press power button, high/low CPU load, high/low temperature. Since I started troubleshooting, I noticed shutdown happens more. When it happens, it often goes to shutdown loop.

Here are things that I have followed for anyone who want to give them try:

1. Run memtest. All passed
  2. Swap RAM stick channels. Operate with one RAM.
  3. Try different OS using live disk (Ubuntu 22.10)
  4. Try different USB-C charging cable.
  5. Try different power brick (65w)
  6. Remove all extension cards
  7. Remove all devices
  8. Upgrade to BIOS 3.06
  9. Reseat SSD.

The issue seems to me is like a power voltage issue. My speculation is that power suddenly gets dropped. Perhaps something wore off after few month of usage?

@Jacob_Ma

Did you ever manage to fix this issue permanently? I have had this issue for many months now and my setup is W11, 12th gen 16gm RAM, 1TB 980 PRO.

I’m part of another thread of people with the same issue and we only recently discovered that it could be faulty expansion cards. My shutdowns only seem to happen 3-4 times a month and I dont have the freezing or black screen issues you mentioned in your original post.

A few weeks ago I was running 3 USB-C cards, (top left: usbc power, bottom left: usbc with a dual hdmi splitter, top right: usbc with hub with 2 usb a and 1 hdmi, bottom left usba with usb switch hub)

One user @Fenghua_Zhao prompted me to try and use all USB C cards as he had experienced it with both a hdmi and usb a card. So far its been about 3 weeks and its hard to tell if it fixed the shutdowns or not I haven’t had any since but mine are quite rare so its hard to say.