(Suggestion Needed) Random shutdown and freeze problem (Windows)

I am using 12 gen model, August batch, i5. Windows 11, 500GB WD 850 SSD, 32 GB RAM.
I am using Windows 11. I can make sure the windows update is paused.

I use the laptop for normal office work. So far I am pretty satisfied until today.

Normally, I am running apps:

• Using vscode for remote development.
  • chrome with 76 tabs open
  • Windows sandbox with 2 small applications
  • pdf reader
  • teams (open, not in use)
  • ms todo list

Using core_temp to measure CPU temperature. All cores are around 45 c.
CPU load 11%, RAM 61%, GPU 5%.

However, today, I locked the laptop for the lunch break. After I come back, the laptop is shut down. When I open the laptop, everything opened apps are gone.

What should I do to check if my laptop has some problem? This is my 5th day using the laptop. Automatically shutdown definitely makes me feel worried.

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎9/‎2/‎2022
OS build 22000.978
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.978.0
Batch August 2022
RAM 32GB. Two Crucial RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (or 2933MHz or 2666MHz) Laptop Memory CT16G4SFRA32A
SSD WD850 with firmware updated from 614600WD to 614900WD(the most updated)

Timeline to fix the Random freeze or black screen issue
Sept 5 - 9 The laptop froze / black screen twice.

Sept 9: I connected with FW support. The first thing FW support suggests is to update the WD 850 firmware. I followed the suggestion and have done that. I thought the problem is solved. However, after two days, the laptop froze again.

Sept 12: Then I start to do a control experiment for ram sticks.

Channel_0, Channel_1
ram_0, ram_1 → Case_0
From Sept 5 - 9 freeze and black screen twice. Even after SSD firmware update.

ram_0, empty → Case_1
Sept 12, 2022, between 11:50 PM - 12:20 PM, while I was away and come back, the laptop black screen, with no response, and hard restarted.

empty, ram_0 → Case_2
From Sept 12,2022 noon 12PM to Sept 13, 2022 11AM, almost 12 hours. The laptop is kind of stable.

ram_1, empty → Case_3
Start Sept 13, 2022 11AM - Sept 14, 2022 12PM. The laptop is kind of stable.

empty, ram_1 → Case_4
Start Sept 14, 2022 12PM - Sept 15, 2022 10AM. The laptop is kind of stable.

ram_1, ram_0 → Case_5
Start Sept 15, 2022 11AM - Sept 16, 2022 2PM. The laptop is kind of stable.

Any conclusion can be drawn from the experiment?
Please give me suggestions and help.

Which version of Windows 11? What are your sleep settings set to?

Windows 11 Pro 21H2. The most recent one.
I did not change, all default.

I think the sleep setting is not the cause of the auto freeze issue right?

12th gen, DIY w/ P31 and 32gb Crucial RAM. W11

Using VS Code running a Selenium script today, laptop went black. Like it shut down but without warning and no shutting down… screen. Could not get it to turn back on with power button. Waiting a few minutes and it finally turned back on. Laptop was plugged in with 60% battery (charge limited) so not a power failure.

Booted with zero issues and opened to windows like a fresh start, ie did not try to open any of my old windows nor did it produce any errors.

Of note I’ve used it pretty heavily over the past week without issue. First time this has happened to me.,

Yeah, similar to my case. It sometimes freezes and needs to have a hard restart.
Sometimes it goes black screen.

The biggest concern is that I have not found a pattern it triggers the problem.

@Jacob_Ma

Are you moving the laptop when it happens or is it stationary?

I have a different hard drive so that isn’t consistent.

Running very simplistic apps, just a few browser tabs and VS Code each time. No fan noise, temp not measured but laptop was cool to touch.

Entire laptop lost power, including the power button. Has Framework gotten back to you with any ideas?

Also my battery life is ridiculous, in 20 mins it dropped 10%, 50% brightness and just had a single browser tab open reading. Behaves like an eight year old laptop battery. I can’t really take it anywhere without a plug.

EDIT: I have zero idea how to quote on here.

It is stationary. I mostly plug it in, using an external monitor on my desk.

The same.

In my case, when it goes black screen, it is the same as it is shutdown. Should be the same as yours.

Just select the content, and you will see the quote button.

Tested it for you on my side. 20mins dropped from 81% to 71%. Mostly the same. I am not too worried about this. Since, I can buy a power bank to solve this issue if I need to. And mostly, I use it with AC plug in. The most thing I want is reliability.

Sorry for the delay, I can confirm I’m having the same issue with Windows 11, 22621.521. I’m experiencing this overnight where I’m leaving my computer docked in the charger, after it falls asleep. The next day the computer is unresponsive and only when I power it back on does it seem to work. This looks to be a sleep issue.

I am experiencing the same thing again.
Last night, I locked the screen of the laptop, AC plug in, leave the laptop on desk and went to sleep.
The next morning. The laptop seems completely shutdown.
I click power button to open it and found that all previously opened apps are closed.

In your case, does all opened apps closed? Like it is completely shutdown?

So, is it a software issue?? What do you think? Should we try Windows 10 and check what’s happening?

My Windows 11 is updated.

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎9/‎2/‎2022
OS build 22000.978
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.978.0

Yes all apps are now closed, as an example, my email app emClient, has a message come up after starting the computer in the morning that says “your app was shutdown unexpectedly” and runs some QC checks. This tells me it completely shutdown overnight on it’s own. I just submitted a ticket to Framework, I suggest you do the same and flag this. It might be a BIOS issue.

Hi, I have already contacted Framework support 10 days ago.
The suggestions are to do some experiments to check if SSD and RAM have some problem, run some test like memtest86, update SSD firmware, swap RAM stick along channels etc.

I have done everything and no problem. But the issue of laptop still exist.

I am wondering, why only us complain here. Do we have a bad unit and need to change?

My system below, got the education license from graduate school.

I think it could be a BIOS issue since we are on different Windows 11 versions. All we can do is report to Framework. You can change the setting to never sleep when plugged in or just shutdown before bed.

Edition Windows 11 Education
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎8/‎29/‎2022
OS build 22621.521
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22634.1000.0
Processor i5- 1240p
Batch 2
Drive SK hynix Gold P31 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 2280
RAM Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (or 2933MHz or 2666MHz) Laptop Memory CT2K16G4SFRA32A

Sure, I will do it tonight and let’s get connected here.

I have updated the SSD firmware and I’m using Crucial memory they suggest. Hopefully it gets escalated.

It can be a few things, one maybe more people use linux rather than windows. Also, I’m docked 6 out of 7 days a week. Maybe people just shutdown and never rely on sleep when plugged in.

Yeah similar to yours. I put my hardware info in the main post just now.

Let me set it to never sleep and have a try.

By the way, do you this issue:
(2) in my case, from Sept 5 - 9 the laptop froze no response, while I was typing an email in the browser.

How frequently the issue appears on your side?

I updated my chart above with the hardware, we are using the same RAM, different HD’s. I haven’t had the freezing issue you’ve described. I have tried the never sleep option which works but it’s not ideal for power consumption.

For the past few days where I switched sleep from never to 1 hour when plugged in, it happens daily.