Tech reviews by professionals

IFixIt Teardown: 10/10

9 Likes

NotebookCheck’s review is out!

• They comment on the hinge rigidity which seems sub-par, hopefully there’s a way for us to adjust that ourselves?
  • GPU benchmarks and gaming results are very impressive considering their single-channel RAM configuration, even beating out the i7 ThinkPad X13 Yoga with dual-channel LPDDR4X RAM in games! Going to dual-channel will put this at the top of the iGPU charts.
  • They easily reproduced the sustained 28W claim at great temps (CPU load, CPU+GPU load, gaming)–this was key for me and it’s amazing to see compared to the vast majority of other Tiger Lake ultrabooks. Great surface temps too!
  • Battery benchmark results are a little below-average but still respectable.
3 Likes

I’m pretty sure we had provided them with two sticks of ram, so I’m not sure why they went with just one! It’s great to see the CPU benchmark results though.

Linus Tech Tips now on Youtube. And he managed not to drop it - just! (For those of you who don’t know Linus, he is adept at dropping things.)

12 Likes

Wow, if that’s not a glowing review, I don’t know what is. He even pre-ordered one while recording! Also looks like frame.work is struggling with the new influx of LTT viewers!

5 Likes

I love it, @FaultedBeing i didn’t think it would be THIS positive. Sending a decent review unit to them was probably the best spent money marketing wise. This will boost sales significantly I imagine. Just hope the supply will last lol

3 Likes

Linus’ review now has half a million views!

3 Likes

“The dells not even ****** thinner” :joy:

6 Likes

Just watched the Linus Tech Tips review, it’s absolutely glowing. Also, it’s got over 700k views in 7 hours… :grin:

Edit: 1.5 million views in one day, and it’s sitting at #46 on YouTube’s trending list…

5 Likes

He didn’t drop the laptop but he did drop one of the expansion cards…

4 Likes

I was hoping we might also get a review from MKBHD, another fantastic influencer. I know he is more an Apple person but he frequently reviews or comments on non-Apple products. He can be very insightful. I guess we’re not getting one as he always tends to be one of the first, if not the first, to issue videos on new products.

1 Like

Ars Technica has published their review as well, which is mostly positive, taking issue primarily with mediocre battery life. Still, I can’t wait to get my Framework in my hands! Review: Framework’s lightweight modular laptop is a winner | Ars Technica

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Another review, this time from Digital Trends. Quite positive although no one can be quite as effusive as Linus! Only criticisms are battery life and, to a lesser extent, thermals.

2 Likes

For those of you with a strong constitution, a pathetic review. Twice as many down votes as up votes. He talks a lot of nonsense and seems to find himself amusing. If you have any stress issues, don’t watch it. I don’t know how exactly Youtube works but if he makes money just from views, then don’t watch it! And by the way, he says nobody’s bought a Framework laptop.

4 Likes

@njf I don’t think he’s getting enough views to be monetized. Don’t think he’s doing it on purpose, he just really doesn’t understand.

I didn’t watch for long, because he seems to be just ragging on the company, not actually reviewing the laptop. Also, I know I’m an old person at this point, but, literally, this guy doesn’t know what literally means. So… hard pass on this channel.

3 Likes

I would very much like to see Framework respond to Louis Rossmann’s points he raised in his youtube video, simply because he is ‘the’ authority in repair and repairability with lots of, well, hands-on experience. And his points / concerns, particularly about screen replacement, are valid. And I’d very much prefer to see Framework come clean, if something is, indeed, not as repairable as it seems (screen, screws?), rather than go in a roundabout fashion, by indirectly confirming that something is, indeed, not as repairable as you might think.

@Naltar Hi. I don’t know whether you saw Louis’ follow up video. He was satisfied with what they told him.

no, I didn’t watch that Louis other video, I watch his videos on and off, I’ll take a look at the new one, thank you!
btw, I’ve just been through the review that you dis-recommend, so to speak. While the video itself is not to my liking, the comments and particularly discussion below, has quite some relevance and yes, some of his points are valid. Though, in a sense, it’s kind of premature to criticize a new business for lack of verifiable history and that they might crash and burn at any moment. I remember that recordig of Wright brothers, with their pathetic-looking contraption that flew this beyond-ridiculous ‘distance’ - why were people getting excited so much it?! Well, that one took off, metaphorically, but many other, equally crazy ideas, have gone down, crashed and burnt, quietly. I think what that review objects to is to putting too much hype and excitement over reality, great today, gone tomorrow. Take his major objection, ‘upgradable motherboard’. Sure, it is, technically speaking, upgradable, but only truly so, when (or IF) such motherboards become actually available. If not, then the only truly valuable upgrades to keep this laptop reasonably ‘modern’, would be extra ram, and new battery. As long as such batteries are still available on the ever-faster market, mind you, because 9 years on, I’m no longer able to source decent 3rd party batteries for my x230, which means, its crippled to stay, for life, on the dock / charger.
Of course, some of his whines show he didn’t actually look into this, even I saw, in passing, something mentioned on Framework, that there are no socketed, laptop-sized motherboards available, so it’s not like they didn’t look at this option at design stage.
p.s. while I very strongly dislike hype and overexcitement if, in the long run, this idea turns into a fiasco, hype can draw people’s attention to a problem of disposable hardware, and the more people think about it, the more chance of some solution. And as to hype, well, I do admire Framework people for being able to hype such an uncool idea as ‘repairable laptop’ (which used to be bleeding obvious only 10 years ago or so). Perhaps this idea appeals to people’s child side, kind of, ‘build’ your lego-laptop - but it actually works, yipee!

1 Like