Tech reviews by professionals

so, to come back to the issue of Rossmann, no, he was not satisfied with what they told him. He was satisfied re. schematics, but he said nothing about screen replacement, because, presumably, they told him nothing about that. I’m not happy, when things are not addressed directly. Same as with keyboard: somebody asked in another thread, hey, does it mean you can replace individual keys? Response was: you can replace keyboard easily (or something to that effect). Plain English translation: no, you can not replace individual keys (or did I mis-understand it?). I mean, I do get it that you can’t replace a chip on mainboard, or individual keys, or put 6 modular slots, etc, etc., because it’s technically not possible, or rather, not viable financially, etc., I just don’t want to guess the outcome from a question that is, for example, ignored, or reply that is not straightforward.

What do you want to know about screen replacement? does their guide help? Screen replacement guide. Ill take 4 screws any day. Replacing the screen on my partners XPS required a whole new lid.

As for keyboard replacement. I can tell you that the last laptop keyboard I replaced. It took me 30 minuets and a hot air gun to get the glued down keyboard off of the chassis. That would have been so much nicer if I could just unscrew the keyboard especially since I was swapping two keyboards for troubleshooting.

As someone who has the skills and equipment required to do circuit card repair at any level. I am not satisfied that I can not get the schematics. I do understand though that this is a systematic problem. That chip manufactures regularly participate in locking down information. With that being said. I wouldn’t surprise me if Framework has their hands tied with what they can release to the public because manufactures require it. Every day I am reverse engineering circuit cards because manufactures do not want to provide me with troubleshooting information or operational checkouts. I will take what I can get where I can get it. Right to repair is a marathon not a sprint.

3 Likes

Note that we addressed screen replacement in the comment section of Louis’s original video and he was happy with our response. As TreeFarm noted, we have also since posted our replacement guides for both the display and the keyboard.

5 Likes

Thanks for both responses re. screen replacement, I did not read the comments section under that 2nd video (which I should have). I was concerned, because two issues were mentioned in Louis’ original video, i.e. screen replacement (which seems to be his personal pet hate, though I absolutely get why!) and 2nd being lack of schematics. In his 2nd video the issue of schematics was addressed, sort of, though I I still would have preferred to have it ‘explained’ originally, on Framework site, something along the lines of "p.s. we’d like to make the schematics available, but we’re legally bound by company x, y, z (or generically, ‘our suppliers’) not to share them, awfully sorry, etc.! But Louis second original fetish, i.e. screen replacement, was not addressed in that 2nd video, and I presumed he would have, had he got some feedback from you, given it seems his personal fetish. That said, I realize you can’t be responsible for what other people (basically, the outside world) say, or don’t say, like that ram stick you sent with test unit, but never got used on that German laptop review site, which would have boosted performance, thus review.
As to key v. keyboard replacement, I was just curious to read a question about key replacement, because I remember from a few laptops I’ve had, one key gone / broken, the whole keyboard a nightmare to replace anyway, so yeah, it would be cool to be able to replace just one key, rather than chuck away 80 odd ones, but like I get it that it’s not viable.
p.s. I do hope it’s not just a brief fad (re. current flood or pre-orders and hype on ‘the internets’) and genuinely wish that you stay in business!

Framework already provides a guide on how to replace the screen here. I assume you have looked at that? The screen is not glued to the frame. Obviously, you still have to buy the replacement screen but the whole point of the design is that a reasonably competent user can replace the display without, as in the case of many laptops, being likely to damage something in the process.

1 Like

And as @nrp said, it was addressed in the first video comments section. Rossman’s own information to the video (not the comments) point this out plainly.

I thought I would have a look at any newer Youtube videos. There are another 3 since I last looked. One of them, not really a review, but a nice look at the decision making process from a genuine buyer, a guy with only 15 subscribers. You may like to take a look and increase his number of views and, maybe, Likes.

3 Likes

@njf Thanks for the boost! When I checked my channel this morning I was surprised to see so much external traffic from frame.work and now I know where it came from :smiley: My channel averages about 10 views per day but you sent almost double to a single video, lol.

I did make a mistake in that video where I thought I could get Crucial Ballistix CL16 RAM which a commenter pointed out won’t work because that’s an XMP profile. I pinned the comment and added the info to the description hoping that I’m not leading people down the wrong path. At this point I can’t really flag it in the video unfortunately other than deleting and uploading a new video…

What’s funny is that YouTube is already starting to recommend my video on the one from the “Coil Whine” guy that has nothing good to say and thinks he’s so funny. He’s basically trying to imitate LTT’s TechLinked, with the rude comments and the heckler behind the camera…

In response to @Banana, that channel has over 2.5k subs and 250k views in a little over a year, so they are definitely monetized. What would hurt a channel like that is to click a video, dislike it and click away within 30 seconds.

I’m not saying you should do that, I’m just saying that’s what’s hurting channels.

2 Likes

I should point out that youtube dislikes aren’t like reddit, they help the video, don’t hurt it, at least in the algorithm.

The dislikes are engagement of some sort, but when coupled with low watch time that’s really bad.

The biggest drop in views is always the first minute and that causes YouTube to recommend your video less, which leads to less views and less interaction.

Edit: let’s not make this thread about YouTube comments or videos. You can comment on my channel/video for that…

1 Like

Here’s a new video of someone that got the DIY version

1 Like

And another cool stream of the diy process here, this time by codeHusky

@Dominic_Keen
Thanks for posting this and for him (codeHusky) showing the external shipping box.

But I started to cringe when he obviously had not been reading the many threads on here. The instructions, once he decided to “read them”, he must have just glossed over them too. The details are clear on how to properly open the unit for service. And then going at the input cover ribbon cable. Ouch.

Stopped watching it.

1 Like

I’ve managed to get to 40 minutes. “A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring.” This can be a great video for how NOT to open and install modules in your Framework laptop. Framework offers the best and most comprehensive installation guides I have seen. Please Mr Husky, RTFM!

6 Likes

If codeHusky can manage to put it together without destroying it so can the average Joe :rofl: I’m not a manual reading person but I at least read the highlights.

1 Like

@nrp Could you add some notes on the guide showing the cable that you have to disconnect when you open it up. I feel like the guide does not properly explain that there is a tab on the motherboard side that you pull and that you do not pull on the side of the cable on the keyboard side. Obviously those of us who crawled over every post and video know about the tab and it seems obvious but well apparently some people don’t realize it.

1 Like

I added a couple of new notes on that. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

Following Tomsguide’s updated review, framework is now #3 on their best laptops list!

6 Likes

Strange that the Tomsguide page you linked to lists the Framework laptop RAM as 8GB - 16GB; I believe it is actually capable of 64GB on the high end, and probably is capable of less on the low end as well (though I can’t imagine why you would want to go lower)

Even if they are going be pre-configured models, the high end of those has 32GB, so I’m really not sure where they are getting that range from.

1 Like

@nklb looks like it was done in a hurry. They even forgot to link their review.