The Keyboard

Cannot edit previous post but I wanted to put the mock-up I made with 2/3 arrow keys and a fn lock light.

5 Likes

Up and down keys are way to small.
You use those keys so often.
I am really desperat for full size keys
Like this e590 thinkpad

4 Likes

I think Framework went to form over function with the keyboard and general design choices…

2 Likes

My apologies if it’s already been mentioned previously in this thread.

I’d really like to see a keyboard layout where the ‘Windows Key’ does not have the Windows Logo on it. Maybe even a replaceable cap version if possible, would be cool to be able to swap out the logo’s for which OS you use, whether it be Windows, Linux or even (If someone ever got it working) MacOS.

Also, could someone explain to me the difference between the ISO and ANSI Covers? I’d really like to understand the different option availble in the Marketplace :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The windows key is mandatory for them to be able to sell Windows copies at the price they do. I agree with you, and have watched threads about painting over it, which I might do eventually, but that’s where we are now.

The primary difference from what I saw is the shape of the Enter and Shift keys, and the minor keys on the right side of the keyboard.

4 Likes

Greetings.

Sorry for necrobumping this thread, but I was wondering if there was any chance I could have some diagrams or schematics that detail the size of the key switches and as well as their receptacles.
I am currently prototyping a custom columnar staggered (semi-ortholinear) membrane keyboard to serve as a drop-in replacement for the factory default keyboard.

I am thinking of disassembling the membrane key switches of the factory keyboard and re-align them into a columnar staggered layout on a 3D printed receptacle platform.
I made a test with the thinnest and cheapest membrane keyboard I could find, and it seems doable so far.
As a next step, I would like to study the feasibility of designing 3D printable receptacles for the FW’s key switches, but I am a bit scared of messing with my current laptop as I daily drive it for work.
I thought of ordering an input cover to do some experiments and measurements, but I would greatly appreciate if someone could provide me with those measurements so that can get a better idea if it can work in advance.

EDIT: The awesome Framework Team has gracefully provided me with input covers for further experimentation. Currently working on disassembling the keyboard and re-arrange it into a custom layout.

Best regards.

9 Likes

That’s a great project which also shows how hard it is to build a keyboard for today’s ultra thin laptops. As you suggest in your linked post, perhaps the ideal is to be found with the Cherry switch.

Is there a rationale behind the physical format you have chosen - perhaps it is an adaptation of your usual format to the laptop space constraints? I have previously asked if there are any people who would be interested in an Atreus for Framework. Personally, I still think the Atreus would be a better prospect because the format is already (by the standards of such things) widely used and the two sets of columns diverge towards the user to reduce wrist strain. Of course I happen to own one! Nonetheless I have not the wherewithal to actually make it happen and I wish you the best with your project.

1 Like

@David_Eastham Thanks a lot for the feedback.
Your Atreus post is actually in my references for this project.

The physical format is based on the Charybdis, which I daily drive and am more familiar with.

It is hard to see without the key caps being installed, but the keys are actually rotated 6 degrees inward, for a more comfortable position, similarly to the Atreus.

1 Like

I swapped out my keyboard, so have an extra one lying around. If you tell me how to go about measuring, I can give it a go.

1 Like

Maybe there’s already a post about this, but I really wish for a “standard” Windows keyboard where all cursor keys are the same size : Tastenkombinationen-030 (2)
Since there are also a lot of Linux users, it would also make sense from my point of view to release a keyboard without a Windows logo, or with a Mac layout as an alternative.

6 Likes

Still hoping for more language keyboards. I want Russian. Using something like FW is supposed to be better for the long-tail customer, yes? Well, here I am. :–)

2 Likes

Since there will never be a keyboard that reflects my evolving customization, I’d like a keyboard with blank modifier keys (caps, shift, ctrl, win, alt) but every other key still printed.

1 Like

Would love to see a simple 15x5 ortholinear keyboard module. The problem I’m seeing with all the projects I’ve seen is they all prioritize columnar stagger rather than rows of keys. I have a great deal of trouble typing on a 4 (or less) row board and feel like the option for a full grid and customization of layout would allow for enough keys for anybody and alternate covers could block keys to make for smaller layouts. (12x5 with 2 columns separating the halves or other options)

5 Likes

I am popping in to see if there have been developments on the keyboard choice.

I would be happy to see a grid format. Whilst I have advocated for the Atreus, the QWERTY (ugh!) layout could be very easily applied to an ortholinear format and thus test a market for different physical formats. I am a little disappointed thus far that different keyboard formats have not been made available yet.

Even if the first off-the-peg “ergonomic” keyboard option was not appealing to me, such a development would test latent demand - especially if it were a factory option - and give grounds for optimism that there will be other formats available. As it is I am left waiting for other, much more complex features with less real-world utility, like ARM processors, to provide a compelling reason to upgrade from my intel MacBook.

Making available a range of ergonomic keyboard modules seem ideally suited to Framework’s intention to encourage a lively marketplace for components, as people can try different formats and layouts without having to commit to a new laptop. If they don’t get on with a format they can sell the module on to somebody else and try another or go back to ANSI/ISO. This is not possible (certainly not supported) with any other laptop.

A short run of ergo keyboard modules could be used to trial new technologies that might be relevant for future products, like the new range of ultra-low mechanical key switches for laptop, from Omron or Cherry.

3 Likes

Will there be Simplified Chinese WuBi layout keyboard? I noticed that FW released a CangJie/Zhuyin layout keyboard,I wish FW can consider about WuBi, because there is quite a lot people from China mainland using WuBi input.

2 Likes

As a programmer and gamer the up and down arrow keys are important for me, while the right shift key is rarely ever used, so I really don’t understand why the choice was made to have such a big right shift key and cram the up and down arrow keys into one. Together with the hated windows key, its the only thing I’d change about the keyboard. I would order a new one if you fix those two things.

(I am a Java programmer and use Fedora. I avoid M$ like the plague, so a Windows key on my beloved Framework laptop feels like an eyesore and has to go.)

4 Likes

One way to solve this is to make a custom key through Framework, like Tuxedo Computers does. Not necessarily as a standart on keyboards but like a keyboard variant with any image you want on the windows key (like the ubuntu, fedora or arch logo on the key). It would add a lot more customisation to the laptop.

Sure it would not be used by much so it could be a special quote to make so it could be good to ask for community feedback before going into production.

2 Likes

Still waiting for you to throw a bone to the left handed, and give us real arrow keys. You won’t get an order from me until you do…

1 Like

Another vote for better arrow keys and page up, page down. Thinkpads are the way to do it.
Squeezed down arrow keys frankly just suck. And they influence buying decisions.

3 Likes

The only thing that stops me is that there is currently no Swiss keyboard layout. I have to write in German, French and English all the time and this keyboard layout is mandatory for a new device. Is there anything forseeable in the pipeline for this layout?

1 Like