The Power Adapter

(puts on tin-foil hat)
(laughs)
So not only do the laptop manufacturers screw us up by not providing barrel jacks so we have to buy new power supplies (from them), they also partnered with display manufacturers (often themselves) so they can continue to screw us up by charging extras for displays with hubs built-in
And then they can screw us up by charging us extra for dongles so you can adapt to the correct port when giving a presentation and further screw us up by charging for USB hubs/docks to connecting multiple things
This is such wonderful utopia.

Framework, while providing modular “built-in dongles”, is skirting along the edge of “too few ports”. But since they are all Thunderbolt4 ports (and they run out of lanes), I can accept that.

3 Likes

I wish I had a look at the post prior to purchase.
20% post consumer plastic? Great start! The design of the power adapter itself is also great, the dimensions for 60W is awesome and so is pairing up with somebody with experience.
But the choice of using IEC C5 cable is a failure to me. What is worth to design such a small form factor power adapter if the cable weight is more than the adapter? And for EU customers I mean this literally.

Frame.work power adapter is 113gr. vs. the cable 123gr.
Major contributors are the two bulky plugs on both sides, which you can’t get rid of. Yes you can reduce the cable length a bit, but hey it is only 1m to start with. Even if you remove all cable the

The way to go for with mobile devices and small form factor is 2-wire IEC-60320 C7/C8 Gerätestecker – Wikipedia and Europlug Europlug - Wikipedia and
Frame.work cable 1m: 123gr
Europlug cable 1,80m: 88 gr.
Europlug cable 50cm: 41 gr.

2 Likes

I actually quite like the fact that the power adaptor is properly grounded…it’s so rare nowadays to see an earth on them nowadays, I see it as a sign of quality.

7 Likes

The C5 cable is the standard laptop charging cable world wide.
Which means people can use their existing cables.
Also that’s probably what the manufacturer is tooled up to use.

It’s also possible to get direct wall adapters, to completely remove the cable if you’re that worried about weight.

I agree that I find the AC setup heavy and bulky. Defeats the purpose of getting an ultrabook setup. But I managed this by replacing the AC cord with a plug. It looks a little janky, but it works.

3 Likes

I ended up with a HyperJuice 66W GaN charger. Compact, light, fold-away plug, charges the laptop and a couple other devices. Perfect for my uses. It even comes with international adapters (EU, UK, AU).

I’ve been loving my Anker Nano 2 65W, it’s a really great single-port USB PD charger, and absolutely minuscule. I haven’t had a single problem finding space in my bag.
The official charger doesn’t have any secret sauce anyways (thank you Framework)

2 Likes

So, just to be correct here:

30W USB-C Apple MacBook Air 13 2019 MVFK2LL/A Adapter Charger

Will slowly charge the Framework with zero problems?

Tks

Yes. I have used the charger that came with the last Intel chipped MacBook Air, purchased in 2020.
It will run the computer and very slowly boost the charge.
I believe that’s the model you are asking about.

Currently, I mostly use a Samsung 45 watt charger, or Frame.work’s design.

1 Like

I tried out a HP 5.25v 3A 16W charger I found laying around the apartment and that works to hold the battery wherever it is. So it pumps enough in to keep the battery as is during idle and light use.

It will charge about 20% capacity in a hour when switched off. It’s small and light so will go in my laptop bag for out and about use. The main one will stay at home.

I set the max battery charge level at 90% of course.

1 Like

The C5 plug have a safety ground prong, which the C6/7 lack.

Depend on applications the safety ground may be mandatory, hence it’s best to keep it than to not feature it.

I don’t think we need to talk about “depends on application” here. We have an 65-W USC-Power adapter and all major OEMs have two-prongs/C5 offers, either as default (e.g. MS Surface, Apple, ASUS, Fujitsu) or as an option (AKA Travel Adapter, any Smartphone charger, 80% of Aftermarket GaN USB-C Chargers).

Hence “it’s best to me” to design the power adapter from the start so that safety ground is not needed, like competitors do.
And yes, there is many alternatives out there and I own a couple of them. Above was just my feedback what Framework could do to improve “Ultrabook” experience in 2022, so that the community does not need to source somewhere else.

C5 (3pin) or C7 (2 pin)

The C5 is polarised and earthed and technically safer option, often used in power bricks which are frequently handled. Also it’s of benefit where the device it powers may have other earthed connections, as in a computer with peripherals.

The C7 has to be double insulated to increase safety and is better used where the device is not being handled regularly or is unlikely to have other mains peripherals attached as in mobile phones.

So a multi-purpose power brick would have a C5 connector.

However the choices manufactures make seem a bit random. Some want to save, weight, space, aesthetics and will use the C7 when the C5 would make more sense.

Anything grounded is better, it’s quite simple.

4 Likes

Dell. hp.
Apple do not provide a 3-prong plus by default, but they can accept one, and the metallic “nubbin” is electrically connected as ground. Even on the 10W USB charger. And if you buy your chargers in UK, all of them are grounded.
Lenovo make cheap ****. Asus closely. Microsoft surface is made by Samsung, who, frankly, don’t make a lot of things beside TV, memory, and smartphones.

And frankly, I have a Samsung PSCV360104A that not only feature a 3 prong, but a C14 “industrial” type. Ah, yes. It’s not “double insulated” because it know that it is tied to a metal-case display!

The charger is plastic cased, but screw the charger. As soon as it is connected to a metal-cased object (a.k.a. laptop), it have a metal case.

rant

Yes, with double insulation you don’t need grounding to “be safe”, until you realize the (19.5V DC) is actually 10V AC with one prong being (+10V) and the other being (-10V). Yes, because without grounding, you don’t have a voltage reference.

Does that matter? no. But it does mean that if the case of the laptop is connected to the “electric ground”, you can get mild shock as the AC 10V attempt to use your body as a voltage reference. Which is why, as I often demonstrated, if you plug a Macbook into a 2-prong charger and rub the back of your hand gently on the metallic cover, you can feel the numb-inducing 50/60Hz AC hum.

See my post for details.

WHICH, ACCORDING TO REGULATIONS, MUST BE GROUNDED!
All desktop computers are grounded because they have a metallic chassis that the user can touch, but so do laptops!

Again. Yes, it won’t kill you, but it’s better to have one than not. Unless the outlet in your home is wired wrong, in which case, that’s a violation of national electric regulations.

I mean, yes, major OEMs have two-prong/C7 offers, but they also have 3-prong/C5 offers.
Which, if you are only going to make one, would go for the C5.

1 Like

Yes, consumer electronics. Again, as I mentioned, I have (found) a “industrial” power supply tied to a “industrial” metal-case overhead display.
I should clarify, but, I think it’s understandable that I don’t, consider I consider that statement to be outrageous.

Earthed double insulation is the new fashion.

Lenovo’s adapters use the grounded cables as well. As far as I’m concerned, that’s the seal of approval right there.

Having come to Framework from the last, great Lenovo laptop, the T440p, I appreciate this design choice.

1 Like

Only if you live in North America though. None of the international plugs are collapsable.

1 Like

China and U.S. plugs (type A) are foldable. Other plugs (that don’t fold) is Type C, E/F, G and I. (Europe/old, Europe/Africa/MiddleEast/new, British and Austrialia).
And “foldable prongs” are only for the “duck bill”. Which, as I mentioned, have the grounding nubbin.
Genius, albeit proprietary. You can squeeze a regular C7 (two prong) plug inside, however. But I’m sure Apple won’t like that.

Edward,

Thanks for your posts on alternative chargers. I picked this one up and am using it now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VHDSNNT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

All is good. Much thanks.

Nick

2 Likes