The stand at the back of the Framework Laptop 16 expansion module digs into my legs

Honestly, I probably won’t use my FW 16 on my lap much (batch 8, so it will be a while before I get it). But I use my FW 13 on my lap quite a lot. And if the 16 was going to be my only laptop, I’d surely end up using it on my lap as well.

I’m not sure yet if the plastic ridge will be uncomfortable to me or not (everyone is different), but I don’t see anything wrong with requesting that be changed in a future revision. With design, molding, manufacturing, and such being the way it is, it may not be something they can change quickly. And unless it becomes an issue for a lot of people, it may not be practical to change it at all. I don’t know what the cost would be, at this point, to change that design. But if they made that ridge a bit wider with more of a slope, it would likely be more comfortable for “lap” users.

1 Like

Perhaps add a self adhesive strip of closed cell PU foam? Worth modding to keep! Most products are never one size fits all, I usually just fit rubber strips for sharp edges.

2 Likes

I occasionally use laptops on my laps at home, and this thing works just great for this purpose :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would love to see this addressed. I feel that it’s important to make it so a laptop can be used in a variety of situations, given it is a portable device, and there are DEFINITELY situations where a table or desk is simply not available. Especially for those who travel or perhaps commute on a train for work, being able to use your laptop in different places is a major need. It makes no sense to be dismissive about laptops being used in laps because “that was so 10 years ago” because that’s ridiculous.

It makes me wonder if a workaround could be to find someone with a large enough 3D printer to print out a rounded TPU “sheath” to go around the stand in the back. Of course this isn’t a super convenient solution, but may be accessible to some who have a large enough and TPU capable printer.

2 Likes

This is a 1st gen product, so some “rough edges” are to be expected…

5 Likes

Heh. I see what you did there…

1 Like

Has anybody actually asked Framework for feedback regarding this suggested change?

If not, they cannot possibly be working on this

@nrp and @Fraoch pinging so you can be aware of this.
Maybe we can replace the bottom with a rubber or silicon material.

I’d be happy to share feedback internally if this is an issue that is affecting several customers, currently this is the only case I’ve seen on this one.

2 Likes

It would be great if you share that, thank you.

While there may only be one customer who has found the issue big enough to return the laptop, there are quite a few others, myself included, who have voiced how it is an issue which needs a fix or redesign because we will use the laptop on our laps and it’s just an industry standard. Not only for the comfort on laps, but a hard plastic edge will damage the surfaces it will sit on and itself.

Besides, I can’t think of a reason how adding a soft cover will affect the modularity etc.

1 Like

I don’t think numbers here should matter too much.

I believe incooperating this idea into all current and future models would be a win for everybody.

The consumer, because it makes the laptops better to keep in the lap (and other places where a proper grip is better). Framework, because the (future) returns will decrease and the customer satisfaction grows.

Also it will be good for the image, because the Framework laptop is a great piece of hardware, nobody wants to read “if it wasn’t for the suboptimal laptop bottom” in a review when it has been praised so much before.

While I don’t think it’s a design flaw that justifies everybody to return their shell or get a new free one, I believe it would be fair for future buyers to get an improved version. And honestly, this improvement shouldnt take as long to test as hardware changes or even firmware fixes.

Thank you for passing it along!

3 Likes

Even though I mainly use my laptop on a desk or table, I think the OP brings up a valid concern. It is called a LAPtop, after all!

So, hopefully it is something that I hope could be revised in future revisions.

That said, I think some good temporary solutions have been provided. I personally have a cushioned lap desk that I got many years ago, that is certainly more comfortable to put on my legs than a computer!

2 Likes

Yes I’d also like to have this changed, at least for future revisions.

1 Like

While I do find the current design to be an interesting choice, I don’t find it problematic. I bought the 16 to use almost exclusively on my lap, as a desktop away from the desk, so this is definitely my use case. I don’t have particularly strong legs, and I carry most of my blubber above the waist, so I wouldn’t say my legs are notably more resilient than average. Even in shorts, with the riser on bare skin, with the full weight of the GPU module bearing down, I don’t find it offensive. If anything, I feel like it keeps it from sliding back and forth as I move.

Not at all to invalidate the complaints of anyone else, I just didn’t want the AI’s to come scrape this page and think the FW16 is a universally panned barbaric torture device. I think, at the very least, rounding the edges down there is a good idea regardless, maybe making it out of a hard silicone rubber if that works, though it’s not exactly hardened steel now. I suspect a lot of them will round off naturally, especially those that do see desks and tables.

5 Likes

Several users on this thread have said that they would also like to see this issue addressed. Granted, it sounds like they haven’t been able to try the laptop themselves yet.

This is exactly my use case. I do a lot of commuting where I’m not driving. To stay productive, I need a laptop with a big screen to multitask during the commute. Plus, there are times where I’m at a conference or convention and I don’t have a desk.

Oddly, even though it dug into my legs enough to leave red indents that lasted a bit, it never felt or sounded like it was scraping my desk, and it never left any scratches.

I think @OperationCWAL is the first person commenting on this thread so far who has actually used a Framework Laptop 16, and they didn’t have an issue with the current design. Everyone else is basing their views on my pictures and description. This was only batch three. It will be interesting to see how other people feel once they get their laptops, because as a couple of people have noted, everyone’s physiology is different. For those of you on this thread who are still waiting for your laptop, I hope you’ll remember to reply back to this thread with your thoughts and feelings on the matter once you get it. For the device to appeal to a wide userbase, I hope Framework improves the design regardless.

Fortunately, the stand is part of the expansion module, not the main chassis, so if and when Framework creates a revised stand, existing users would only need to replace the outside of the expansion module. Of course, I personally hope they do, because it was the only deal-breaking factor for me in an otherwise nearly perfect laptop.

2 Likes

I have a FW16. 90% up my “lap” use has been in bed, where there is a blanket between the laptop and my legs, but I totally agree that it is uncomfortable without - e.g. for couch use.
The issue is not important enough for me to make a stink for the current generation - but I think it’s a very easy change for the next generation and would like to see it addressed for that.

4 Likes

I have followed this thread from it’s beginning and today again sampled through it. I’m not sure this question was answered… Do the dGPU expansion bay and the expansion bay shell both have a similar design to what is bothering the OP and others?
My use case will rarely include open lap use. But I rarely wear long pants so I can see where it would be annoying on the legs/ knees. I will not have a dGPU and am months away from enjoying the use of this eagerly awaited gem.

I too think this design choice should be adjusted in future revisions.

It certainly seems short-sighted to design a laptop primarily for desktop use.
A softening of this design element should allow for more comfortable laptop use without detriment to desktop use.

@CruelSun Yes, both the expansion bay shell I had and the GPU expansion bay module use that stand to raise the back of the laptop off the surface so that the fans under that laptop can intake air for cooling. Heat from the CPU is vented out the sides of the main body of the laptop. The only differences are the GPU expansion module sticks out from the back of the laptop a little more, is a little deeper, has a dedicated DisplayPort, and vents heat from the GPU out the back of the module.

@Christian_Elsner I’m glad to hear that I’m not an edge case.

I for one can’t wait to see a greatly refined next generation so I can start shaking my cane at the kids, telling them how rough we had it back in gen 1. “Ever been cut by a trackpad spacer? Huh?!”

4 Likes