Thinking about using the top panel + display as an external monitor for my gaming PC, what do I need to know?

update

According to Guide to eDP (Embedded Display Port) Cables | Quadrangle Products Inc., control boards for displays maybe aren’t needed anymore as eDP contains all that?

So maybe i need an eDP to DisplayPort or HDMI adapter or something

This person made their own: displayport - Wiring Embedded Display Port (eDP) to a full-size Display port - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange

And accidentally learned about cable quality.

Oh! Someone on these forums posted about this very topic last year!

So apparently it’s ‘easier’ to use a daughter board.
And someone already made one

Lots of cool builds over there: HDMI controller board for display panel - #94 by Luke_Oliver

original post

the connector on the display is goofy (probably standard for laptops or something, idk (update! I’ve since learned that the cable is called eDP)) – and I imagine the mainboard probably has some hardware for controlling the display – and that hardware, standalone, is what I’d need if using the display as an external monitor for my PC.

has anyone tried this?

what else might I need to know as I explore making a portable gaming (SFF)PC? (w/ framework display strapped to the side)

1 Like

The protocol is edp, the cable is anarchy with some de-facto standards (important distinction). learned that the hard way when I plugged a very incompatible oled screen with very compatible connector into my t480s, blew up half the fuses and part of the embedded controller (through more luck than skill I was able to mostly “repair” the damage).

Afaik the current framework 13 panel uses the de-facto standard 40pin 4-lane pin-out so most 4lane dp->edp boards should work relatively fine.

I have converted some old-ish thinkpad displays to external displays using boards like that though I ended up using purpose built usb-c monitors later because they are a lot more compact and barely cost anything.

1 Like

I have indeed made a DIY external display using a FW 13 display and top cover. I ordered USB C controller boards plus edp cables from Ali Express. Made a custom alu housing for controller works perfectly as a travel setup.

A lot of hours was put into it.

The irony is that i finished this just as the FW 16 was announced and since I found that the FW 13 display is too small for my type of graphical work, Im now selling it on eBay.

3 Likes

can you link what board and cable you used?

Controller:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33046726903.html?spm=a2g0n.search-store.0.0.401aAC5kAC5kPH&browser_id=11c05b3f3aaf4aff938fe9566b4ed273&aff_trace_key=a7611834ae294a548d4215838efb6bf5-1715030023056-06976-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=maazhiwrdmcavhha18fb929fb9f24962041652c7c7&gclid=&pdp_npi=4%40dis!GBP!36.69!31.55!!!45.40!39.04!%40210386d117167984874422278e32e7!67446252294!sea!UK!4315482644!&algo_pvid=ded7be16-5818-4329-b6f0-ec2114fcd6e6

Any (I think) 40 pin to 40 pin, 4lanes edp cable should work.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks! If Fw ever releases a touchscreen I’ll definitely being using my current display in my FE as a second monitor with this setup. Any reason why you chose to use an aluminum case for the board as opposed to 3d printing? As for the backing for the monitor what did you use?

Because I have tools to mill aluminium but i do not own a 3D printer.

As backing I used Frameworks top cover:

1 Like

Fair enough I wonder if I were to 3d print a backing would it be rigid enough?

I assume that would depend on the chosen thickness of material. Someone with 3D printing experience can probably help with flexural calculations. I have never worked with plastics.

Anyone know if this board would also work with the new 2.8k display panel?

do you have a link to the cable used and how’d you attach that fabric? also anyway to use an HDMI cable as the current cable doesn’t look too rigid/durable

Already answered that. More specifically I do not know exactly which cable I used as I had a few lying around and just picked one which had the length I wanted. I wrapped the edp cable in wiring loom tape. If it is sturdy enough for vehicle wiring I think it will endure.

The alternative (and typically what you have on external monitors) is to fit the control board inside the display case. But for me that would have meant making the case a lot thicker or hacking (literally) the FW top cover.

If you want to connect the display with a HDMI cable you need to find different controller than the one I used (edp → USB C only). There are recommendations in this forum.

got it thanks! i’ll report back here if i end up going forward with this.

@Bennett_Derrico you can purchase this board with the 40-pin 0.5mm cable that will work with the fw13 screens. You can also check my profile for other compatible screens I have tested

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005006489764424.html

(This driver Board requires you to connect both the Mini dp and usbc for power)

@James_Almeida I believe fw will not be issuing a new edp cable, which means the pinout will be the same.

I like the other board linked above but is their anyway you can link a cable?

I will try this one - it cost me about 5€ on Ali and might just give my old display some new purpose once the new one arrives. I went for the higher resolution display.

I’ve recently started using this regularly. Works great except that it doesn’t power on from the laptop. For some reason it fails to negotiate correct voltage from the laptop. Works just fine on any other plain usbc power source that does 12V

1 Like

Blockquote (This driver Board requires you to connect both the Mini dp and usbc for power)

With that board I need to use two cables? if possible can you link a picture of it running with your FW and a second display?

I’ve tested this with TL134GDX and TL134ADX. The TL134ADX uses the same pinout as the FW screens while the GDX uses a separate breakout board as it does not have a built-in backlight driver.

I am using this board together with the GDX as a modded screen for my framework. The 2-cable setup is a huge pain and i am working on creating a single driver circuit that fits the screen and fits inside the chassis of the laptop

I have put my reviews here:
https://community.frame.work/t/framework-13-alternative-screens-tl134adxp01-tl134gdxp02

Some pictures attached:
The TL134GDX with driver board and led breakout driver board. Plugged in to a usbc powerbank

How i’ve set the 2 boards for now

Power consumption (TL134ADX). Note that it needs to negotiate a 12V voltage, which the laptop cannot seem to do.

3 Likes