[TRACKING] Charger connect and disconnect in a 2second Loop after wake up from sleep | GaN adaptative mini power

@Matt_Hartley Hi Matt, I am also intermittently running into this issue with my framework 13 AMD 7840u with my anker 735 charger. I’ll open a ticket as well.

1 Like

Just looked (same email I assume), all your tickets appear to be resolved? Last reply was on Nov 28th? Looks like two merged tickets.

Sounds good.

Argh, I am terrible: I fear I mixed the tickets. How can I reopen them? (I am so sorry I am going OT on this thread, this is the last post, I promise)

You’re totally fine, no worries. Best approach is to reply to your most recent ticket to open it. :slight_smile:

Hi @Matt_Hartley , I hope you are well.
I picked up some new cables just to confirm that my cable wasn’t the issue as that fixed this thread. They also weren’t working so I did some more digging and I found this seems to be a common issue related to the 3.03 bios.

I was able to find these in just a few minutes.

[TRACKING] Charger connect and disconnect in a 2second Loop after wake up from sleep | GaN adaptative mini power - #22 by Matt_Hartley (this thread, likely unrelated now that I know about the bios issue but commenting here to redirect people who are searching like I was)

https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/17zhn0q/problems_with_charging/

https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/16ikcuf/charging_issues_anker_nano_ii_65w_charger_anker/

https://www.reddit.com/r/framework/comments/18ck7qm/pd_voltage_ramp_up/

While I see that a framework team member commented on one of the issues a few weeks ago, there hasn’t been any follow up. I understand the update will take time however since this is charging the laptop (which is something everyone will do) and many people don’t have multiple usb pd chargers so can’t just use another, could there be a megathread by framework or something to track the change to make it easier for people to find when they experience the issue/ easier for people with the issue to understand the timeline for the fixed bios?

1 Like

I am changing the status of the thread to tracking. Appreciate the update. No immediate timeline, but posts like this are important as it allows to see how folks are affected and with which chargers.

As an added data point, I’m having a similar issue with chargers that can’t deliver enough power. This is with an AMD 7640U, BIOS 3.03, and Fedora 39.

The charger that I use works perfectly when I use USB-C slot 1 (which always delivers at least 45W), regardless of whether other devices are plugged in. When I plug in to USB-C slot 2 (which only delivers 20W when slot 1 is in use) while another device is charging from slot 1, it fluctuates between charging and not charging every couple of seconds.

When I found this thread I decided to test with a couple other chargers that were lying around. My brother’s laptop charger, which came with a Thinkpad from a few years go, works well, showing a draw of ~60W on a KillAWatt. A 20W Apple charger that came with an iPad does not work, delivering a little power (~1.5W) then dropping to 0W. This charger tries to work, but fails–it fluctuates between ~2W and ~8W with an eyeballed average of ~4W and causes the battery light to cycle on and off every couple of seconds, just as with slot 2 of my charger.

I just wanted to chime in here that I noticed the very same issue with the same(-ish) UGREEN 65w GaN Nexode power supply (but the UK version of it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B7N4DX1Z) - but on my Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen. 6 Laptop.

So may be this is not exclusive to the Framework laptop at all? I’ll be getting my Framework 13 in a few weeks and will do some testing with this charger as well. The cable in my case is also a 2m one, but from Anker. And it’s “old” (but pretty much unused).

I’m also having this issue with an Anker 735 GaNPrime charger and a Pinecil 1M cable. It’s pretty frustrating, and I’m not sure if it’s related, but I also had the machine not come back from sleep once after plugging a charger in and putting it to sleep.

Hi Matt, I hope you are well.
Would you be able to take a look at my ticket and see if its still active? The ticket is under the same email as this account. I haven’t had a response in almost a month and a half.
Thank you

Appreciate your patience. We have it in the engineering queue. I have left a note that you have reached out asking about a followup. Looks like we’re digging into this right now, so I do not have any updates as of yet. But it’s also very much actively being investigated.

2 Likes