[TRACKING] Fedora 37 12th gen laptop suddenly no longer charging battery

I just had the same problem, with my standalone charger. I use a dock quite a bit, but today, without a dock, the charge light was on and the battery was not charging. Laptop drained completely, and seems to be taking a charge again. I’m running fedora 37 also.

Yup it happened again to me yesterday too. Only the second time. Strange. I tried charging with dock and with Framework charger (although not both at the same time). Nothing until the battery had completely discharged, then charging worked fine again.

I have had this happen only when charging with two power sources plugged in. In this case a dock with 65 w of power delivery and a charger with 100w PD. My guess is it screws up the power negotiation somehow and you get the situation where the battery wants to drain to 0%-5% and then start charging again. You can fix this by going into the Bios and disconnecting the battery. Leave everything unplugged for 30 seconds and then plug in the charger and boot up. Once you get to a graphical target and verify charging is working again you can hotplug the dock. This condition prompted me to get a dock with sufficient power delivery. Pretty much anything with 96w PD will work.

1 Like

What dock did you end up going with?

I settled on the OWC Thunderbolt Dock. The only thing it does not do correctly is pick up displays on a cold boot or a reboot…literally every dock I tried to do this with failed, most very horribly…in short I don’t think it is the dock but the BIOS, and yes I am on the 3.06 beta bios. Before the BIOS update I had all sorts of additonal issues with my old Thunderbolt 3 dock.

That being said every dock I tested with an inline power meter. The docks I tried out were the Anker 5-in-1 Power Expand, Plugable TBT4-UDZ, and the OWC Thunderbolt Dock. Th eAnker 5-in-1 Power Expand wass very promising right up until it kicked over to battery power on turbo…85w PD…nope! Nothing plugged in and it could not cope with 72w of power draw…next. Plugable TBT4-UDZ mostly stable power cycling and hotplugging required. If I am going to have to deal with this extra step in the docking experience I better have some downstream thunderbolt ports. If it picked up displays on a cold boot and reboot I would have kept it, but it also seemed to have some issues with one monitor on HDMI, so next. Power delivery was fine. Ireally liked the form factor, looked great, but I knew without Linux support from the vendor, plus the Framework BIOS this was gong to be a heavy lift to get working correctly.

So finally I tried the OWC Thunderbolt Dock. It is a thunderbolt 4 dock like the rest. No display pick up on a cold boot, or a reboot. Requires a power cycle/hotplug, however it worked with every combination of monitors whether it was hdmi, displayport, or usb-c. It has 3 downstream thunderbolt ports so I can add thunderbolt peripherals if I want … 10G ethernet adapter … in the future. So far it has been rock solid, no issues with any of my peripherals and though I was wary of a Realtek Ethernet Adapter, it has been satisfactory so far. Fortunately the 10G adapters I have looked at do not use Realtek chips so big bonus there. I am satisfied with the purchase, it looks neat, and feels like it is reasonably well constructed, that and I have had luck with OWC products in the past. Also it is reasonably priced $249 USD and I have seen it as low as $199 USD for what appeared to be a 3-day sale.

Moving forward I hope to get the dock working on reboot and cold boot. Until then power cycle or hotplug it is.