[TRACKING] Fingerprint reader failing to register on 13th gen

Yep, if Windows was ever installed, this is the recommended approach for those using Windows and Linux. The Windows in this way should work, but it can be iffy. But it is absolutely an option and for those who use both OS’, it’s a fair option.

We don’t advertise this as it may or may not work for everyone. I have not done a lot of testing this direction as I don’t use Windows myself.

1 Like

Hi, I got my framework 13 today, installed Fedora 38 and tried to enable Fingerprint Login, but I get following message: “Failed to claim fingerprint device Goodix MOC Fingerprint Sensor: Failed to communicate with the fingerprint reader” Is this an hard or an software issue or am I just stupid?

@Lukas_Trapp, this is a known issue and is being worked on, with a resolution shortly. I have moved your post to the relevant thread.

+1 That installing windows first made the fingerprint reader “just work”.

OOTB I installed nixOS and couldn’t get the fingerprint reader working. I decided to dual boot and (1) erased the drive, (2) created an empty NTFS partition for windows, (3) created windows install media from another windows machine, direct ISO didn’t work, (4) installed windows, (5) installed nixos on the rest of the drive also creating a separate /boot partition during the nixos installer.

1 Like

There is an update for Windows that provides a arguably method for folks. While we wait to get this on LVFS, this is absolutely a method that does work.

Alright, here is updated guidance.

Please note the header of the file- if you are not wanting to take this approach or it errors out, please wait for the LVFS update.

For earlier beta testers, this is a new cab file - if it failed for you previously:

• Check sudo cat /usr/share/fwupd/quirks.d/goodixmoc.quirk and make sure both entries are present and there is no duplication.

• Try the updated instructions linked above.

6 Likes

I followed the instructions as described and my fingerprint reader is now recognized. That said, I’ve successfully added my fingerprint multiple times, but using fprintd-verify and logging in with the same finger has never succeeded.

I’m enrolling it via Fedora 38 w/ Gnome in Settings. Could I be enrolling it incorrectly?

doas fwupdtool install --allow-reinstall --allow-older goodix-moc-609c-v01000330.cab
Writing…                 [*************************************  ]22:00:54.752 FuEngine             failed to update-cleanup after failed update: failed to get device before update cleanup: failed to wait for device: device <foo> did not come back

failed to write: failed to reply: transfer timed out

It seemed to work second try though, went from

Current version:    01000320

to

New version:      01000330
doas fprintd-enroll hugh
Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
Enrolling right-index-finger finger.
Enroll result: enroll-stage-passed
Enroll result: enroll-remove-and-retry
Enroll result: enroll-retry-scan
Enroll result: enroll-completed
 - system: `"x86_64-linux"`
 - host os: `Linux 6.1.44, NixOS, 23.11 (Tapir), 23.11.20230813.100a155`

I would try this, as sudo. Make sure to make it executable. Reboot, re-register again, reboot, then try again to login. Note, it’s not unheard of for the fingerprint reader (my phone, any laptop I own does this to me) to misbehave and fail to see my fingerprint. So it may be “fine”, but let’s try this first.

1 Like

This looks good based on this: linux-docs/13th-gen-fingerprint-reader-firmware.md at main · FrameworkComputer/linux-docs · GitHub

Continuing the discussion from [TRACKING] Fingerprint reader failing to register on 13th gen:

This was it - thank you!

2 Likes

After a long day, this simple statement made my evening! Thank you! :raised_hands: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Instructions above worked for me! Didn’t need to do anything more than the steps that @Matt_Hartley posted from the 13th-gen-fingerprint-reader-firmware.md file. Many thanks!

Edit: For context: I’m running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on the Framework 13th gen (DIY), no prior updates to the firmware and never ran Windows before. Also was able to setup sudo fingerprint authentication with no issues as well.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley thank you, this worked for me and I now have a working fingerprint sensor! :raised_hands:

I’m on Ubuntu 22.04 and needed to add the quirk. After doing that, rebooting, and installing the updated firmware, I got the transfer error at the end of installation. At that point sudo fwupdtool get-devices --plugins goodixmoc showed no devices detected again, but sudo fwupdtool get-history did show the correct version and enabling fingerprint login then worked for the first time. After another reboot sudo fwupdtool get-devices --plugins goodixmoc is now detecting the device and showing the correct version.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley Thanks, this worked for me too! I had the same issue as High_O_Brien though - first time failed with the same error. Immediately following that, get-devices failed:

$ sudo fwupdtool get-devices --plugins goodixmoc
Loading…                 [**********                             ]11:46:19.825 FuEngine             failed to add device usb:01:00:09: failed to get firmware version: failed to reply: device was disconnected
Loading…                 [************************************** ]
No detected device

and following attempts simply indicated that the device wasn’t connected:

$ sudo fwupdtool get-devices --plugins goodixmoc
Loading…                 [************************************** ]
No detected devices

Running install a second time worked, and then get-devices started showing the updated version.

The fingerprint settings immediately appeared in KDE/Plasma’s User settings, and I could enroll a fingerprint. Now if only SDDM supported it! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you so much, had to run the install twice but after that it worked perfectly!

2 Likes

I installed the cab file and the fingerprint reader was detected. When i tried to register a fingerprint I do not see the image of the fingerprint and when I place my fingerprint on the sensor, it does not register even after several minutes. I am on Fedora 38.

Thanks.

To better spot why it worked for you and not someone else, can you share your distro/version?

Let’s try this instead as it is far more verbose and will give me a better idea why it failed. The screen you’ve shared looks like it just wants to try reading again (normal).

In a terminal:

fprintd-enroll

The paste the entire output back here please.

When trying to register a fingerprint from the commandline I get:
(base) [shsnyder@fedora ~]$ fprintd-enroll
Using device /net/reactivated/Fprint/Device/0
Enrolling right-index-finger finger.

It stays at this output indefinitely (I stopped waiting after a minute or so). If I take my finger off the sensor it senses that and returns

Enroll result: enroll-retry-scan

This is the same behavior as I see when using the Gnome widget.

I will try some more variations.

Thanks.