[TRACKING] Fingerprint reader failing to register on 13th gen

Wine typically doesn’t have support implemented for USB devices outside of the generic HID / Serial ones.

I did try this before the VM solution. I tested this again today with latest Wine stable, and as expected, the driver installer shows an error that it is unable to find the Goodix device.

Same here. Framework 13 DIY, Ubuntu 22.04 installed with FW guide.

Interestingly the FP sensor shows up in lsusb but not with sudo fwupdtool get-devices. fwupd is version 1.7.9 (as installed with Ubuntu), possibly a later version reqd?

Not a huge issue for me, I’ll wait for a native linux fix rather than going down the VM rabbit hole; would be good to know when there is one, perhaps someone could reply here when it’s in?

I’m getting the same error - brand new Framework 13 DIY edition (13th Gen), British English input cover, Ubuntu 22.04 installed following the Framework guide.

I’m also seeing the same thing as @Simon_Hyland with the sensor showing up in lsusb but not with sudo fwupdtool get-devices (I also have version 1.7.9 of fwupdtool).

I have a ticket open with support, and they’ve asked me to try various things which haven’t helped:

• reload the default BIOS settings (I hadn’t changed any anyway)
  • check the fingerprint reader is enabled in the BIOS (it was)
  • open up the laptop and reseat the fingerprint reader
  • try a Fedora 38 live USB (the fingerprint login option doesn’t appear at all in the UI, and fprintd-enroll gives the same error as on Ubuntu)

Hi everyone:

All affected (as I use my fingerprint reader across all the Framework 13 laptops all day)

This is very important for us to better understand:

• New replacement input-kits or fingerprint reader?
  • Did you manually update firmware?
  • Using the GUI - not CLI as that is how the guide is written? Using GNOME you will not need to use fprint-enroll whatsoever and should be using the Users section as this is what was tested. Same ideal result of course, but for the sake of continuity.

Mine is resolved now via the Windows VM fix and I think I’ve basically answered further up but to clarify:

• New replacement input-kits or fingerprint reader? Brand new Framework 13 13th Gen Intel
  • Did you manually update firmware? I did not. The first thing I did was install Fedora and the first thing after that was to go to Users and try to enrol a fingerprint.
  • Using the GUI - not CLI as that is how the guide is written? Using GNOME you will not need to use fprint-enroll whatsoever and should be using the Users section as this is what was tested. Same ideal result of course, but for the sake of continuity. I went traight to Users in Fedora and it gave me the error in my screenshot above

Same as @Edward_Bowden but I installed Ubuntu:

• New replacement input-kits or fingerprint reader? Brand new Framework 13 DIY edition, 13th gen Intel
  • Did you manually update firmware? No, I haven’t changed anything with firmware
  • Using the GUI - not CLI as that is how the guide is written? Using GNOME you will not need to use fprint-enroll whatsoever and should be using the Users section as this is what was tested. Same ideal result of course, but for the sake of continuity. Using the GUI - I followed the Ubuntu 22.04 installation guide and got the error when I got to step 8. I only tried fprint-enroll in Fedora live USB after seeing that the fingerprint login option didn’t show up in the GUI, and then tried it in Ubuntu to compare.

We’ve verified there was a change that has taken place. I’ve alerted the appropriate team to the issue. In the meantime, while not ideal - please try the following:

• Install and boot into Windows (either as a standard installation or with USB passthrough in a VM - I recommend the former)

• Download and then run the Framework Laptop Driver Bundle installer for 13th gen. This has been shown to resolve the issue on other generations of Framework laptops dealing with the change in the provided fingerprint readers (replacement units in those instances).

• Then reboot.

• Now install Fedora 38/Ubuntu 22.04 again and the firmware issue should be addressed.

Update results below. Thank you

Also, those affected - can I verify if all those affected are on DIY configurations vs Windows pre-builts converted to Linux?

Thanks

Mine is a DIY configuration.

Windows conflicts with a security/privacy policy - And because of that, the Windows/VM resolution is not a viable resolution for me.

Understood, thank you.

Just to confirm several of us have had success using a VM in Boxes to save having to install in a USB or onto your disk and just passing the fingerprint reader through. This was super easy and I could just delete the VM and instantly setup my fingerprint in Linux, no reboot even required.

DIY for me as well

How is this supposed to work exactly? I am running Windows 11 in Boxes with USB passthrough enabled. I receive the following message in a cmd window:

Starting Driver Install
No Instances(s) Available.
"This Framework driver bundle is designed to run on 13th Gen Intel Core Mainboards only!"
Press any key to continue . . .

Am I missing something that allows the Boxes installation to pass this check?

Ah sorry, you want to run just the Goodix driver installer on it’s own. To do this you can just extract the bundle file with 7zip and it should be in the root.

2 Likes

This worked!

Unfortunately, I’m on Kubuntu which uses SDDM by default, and it looks like it won’t have proper support for both fingerprint and password until this PR #1220 is merged. I’ll either wait it out, or try another display manager. Maybe by the time SDDM is ready, a fix will be in for MK_EVK vs APP as well :sweat_smile:

I can confirm that @Matt_Hartley’s method worked for me using Gnome Boxes + Windows 11.

Following along as I also have:

• Fedora 38
  • Brand new Framework 13 DIY edition, 13th gen Intel
  • Tested with GUI, CLI, etc
  • Have not downgraded the firmware yet using boxes

*** One More Note: I own no windows boxes, cannot create media that works to boot into windows(the ISO does not recognize the hard drives). And as far as I can tell you cannot run Windows 11 in Boxes?

├─Fingerprint Sensor:
│     Device ID:          4295296d98b3ba38c72f6baa33d24f03a1d428f6
│     Summary:            Match-On-Chip fingerprint sensor
│     Current version:    01000320
│     Vendor:             Goodix (USB:0x27C6)
│     Install Duration:   10 seconds
│     Serial Number:      UIDXXXXXXXX_XXXX_MOC_B0
│     GUIDs:              1e8c8470-a49c-571a-82fd-19c9fa32b8c3 ← USB\VID_27C6&PID_609C
│                         34def4c7-9461-5a32-a945-5dde0ca57d88 ← USB\VID_27C6&PID_609C&REV_0100
│     Device Flags:       • Updatable
│                         • Device can recover flash failures
│                         • Signed Payload

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 27c6:609c Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co.,Ltd. Goodix USB2.0 MISC
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          239 Miscellaneous Device
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x27c6 Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co.,Ltd.
  idProduct          0x609c 
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 Goodix Technology Co., Ltd.
  iProduct                2 Goodix USB2.0 MISC
  iSerial                 3 UIDXXXXXXXX_XXXX_MOC_B0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength       0x0020
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          3 
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 
      iInterface              4 
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval               0

1 Like

Installed Windows 10 on Boxes from downloaded .iso
Connect the reader through USB Settings in Boxes
Download the windows drivers from framework
Extract them all with 7zip(open the .exe in 7zip, then hit extract)
Run the Goodix driver installation package(not the whole framework driver package, just the extracted goodix executable)
Reboot
Register fingerprints
Works

2 Likes

I was able to install Windows 11 in Boxes, though it took some work (mostly regedit). Glad to know Win10 works with the driver/firmware update as well.

1 Like

I just received my DIY Framework 13 installed the latest Ubuntu LTS OS and when I go to add my fingerprint in settings (it won’t even let me click on “Scan new fingerprint”), it tells me: “Failed to claim fingerprint device Goodix MOC Fingerprint Sensor. Failed to communicate with the fingerprint reader.” I haven’t seen any posts regarding this specific error message, so I would appreciate any help with this!

13th gen ONLY and those with older Framework 13 generations that have received input cover replacements only.

Greetings all,

We have identified the issue with this batch for fingerprint readers and the firmware team has informed me of a firmware update forthcoming via LVFS. We do not have specific dates on release because we’re testing everything, so I will be revisiting this ticket with updates next week.

Note, this is a very high priority for us and we are actively working on this asap while also making sure we test the update appropriately.

I appreciate your continued patience.

Let’s keep this topic here and not creating a ton of new threads. Makes it more challenging to share updates with everyone.

8 Likes