[TRACKING] Hard freezing on Fedora 36 with the new 12th gen system

Anecdotally I had this problem as well on a 12th gen on Fedora 37 until I removed the xorg-x11-drv-intel package. After that it was fine. With my fresh Fedora 38 install I pre-emptively removed it and have not had even a hint of a problem.

1 Like

(Sorry if this is off topic, but I just wanted to check this as advice)
Interestingā€¦ that sounds like an important package lol. On redhatā€™s site Fedoraā€™s site it sounds from the short description like itā€™s the driver for xorg with Intel. While this is where Iā€™d assume the problem is, Iā€™d also assume that removing it would harm performance or prevent xwayland apps from working. Either that or it wouldnā€™t have any affect when using wayland, since itā€™s for X11. What was your experience?

It does not prevent Xwayland from kicking in, and it certainly does not harm performance. Generally speaking KMS should take care of most intel graphics needs. This package is appears to be very similar to the Archlinux xf86-intel-video package which is mostly for pre 8th gen intel processors. Mesa is the recommended stack for newer intel processors or KMS which is built into the kernel. I believe the xorg-x11-drv-intel package has basically outlived itā€™s usefulness at this point and continues to be included for backwards compatibility. For me removing it was a night and day experience.

1 Like

Some good thoughts shared here. Yeah, while itā€™s not an issue Iā€™ve had myself, may be worth pulling on the xorg-x11-drv-intel string and uninstalling it, rebooting to see how it plays out.

1 Like

My take is - if nadb had success with it, try it.

1 Like

Iā€™ll give it a shot and report back

Similar crashes to before. uninstalled rebooted and ran good for a bit but then freeze. had tap ninja open but minimized and 3 firefox tabs open one was youtube in pip

Aug 23 21:39:02 fedora kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] steamwebhelper[15161] context reset due to GPU hang
Aug 23 21:39:02 fedora kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] UnityGfxDeviceW[6564] context reset due to GPU hang
Aug 23 21:39:02 fedora kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GT0: GuC firmware i915/adlp_guc_70.bin version 70.5.1
Aug 23 21:39:02 fedora kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GT0: HuC firmware i915/tgl_huc.bin version 7.9.3
Aug 23 21:39:02 fedora kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GT0: HuC: authenticated!
Aug 23 21:39:02 fedora kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GT0: GUC: submission enabled
Aug 23 21:39:02 fedora kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GT0: GUC: SLPC enabled
Aug 23 21:39:02 fedora plasmashell[13482]: Crash Annotation GraphicsCriticalError: |[0][GFX1-]: vaapitest: ERROR (t=0.266529) |[1][GFX1-]: vaapitest: VA-API test failed: failed to initialise VAAPI connection.
Aug 23 21:39:02 fedora plasmashell[13482]: (t=0.266548) |[2][GFX1-]: GFX: RenderThread detected a device reset in PostUpdate (t=546.331) |[3][GFX1-]: GFX: RenderThread detected a device reset in PostUpdate (t=1183.07) [GFX1-]: GFX: RenderThread detected a device reset in Post>
Au

You have the latest kernel and the latest intel-gpu-firmware installed? How about intel-media-driver?

Latest packages as of earlier today. Just ran yum to double check and nothing new

I hate to ask but have you tried the default Fedora Workstation 38 with Gnome. I know a lot of these issues were not just GPU issues but also in some instances issues with some core components in the graphics stack on Gnome. Not seeing any of this on Gnome, so it might be a KDE issue at this point.

1 Like

Echoing above, we do not test against KDE, so any replication would be on GNOME as Loell tested and nadb indicated.

Just to update I purchased a new Thinkpad as these crashes are happening even with just firefox open with 1 youtube tab open. I didnā€™t try gnome but with all these issues on top of all the parts Iā€™ve had fail/replaced (2nd set of speakers, 3rd input cover) and limited supported memory I need something more reliable for daily usage.

I hope to come back to framework in the future once more of their bugs get worked out. I do really appreciate all the troubleshooting you all have helped to provide. I have a preorder for ryzen 7 board so fingers crossed that is what helps me come back in the future

1 Like

Sorry to see you were unable to get this sorted.

Using Ubuntu 22.04 and Fedora 38 GNOME is recommended and what we test against. As we grow the team, weā€™ll begin testing against other desktop environments and other distros.

Your experience is not typical in my experience on stock Fedora 38.

Hopefully youā€™re able to find success on your new setup.

For context, I live on Fedora 38, stock install. 12th and 13th Gen Framework 13.

Appreciate the feedback.

1 Like