[RESOLVED] Kernel 6.4 hang at boot TPM Bug Confirmed

I’m not keen on any kernel version - just need a running laptop. Removing the actual kernel package and falling back to the previous one is a perfectly valid solution for me. But I wanted to report the issue.
Regarding the question: I’m just getting the first three or for messages on screen before grub is starting. I also have to pick from grub alternatives when trying to hibernate my now running 6.3.0-2.
Kind regards, Andreas.

See here, likely the same issue:

Doing some post merging here, so if you see links to this thread here, it’s fine.

Folks, we have determined the following:

• Fedora 38 we can add the needed parameter: sudo grubby --args="tpm_tis.interrupts=0" --update-kernel DEFAULT
    has worked over and over internally.
  • Ubuntu 22.04 users can simply skip this entirely and get to with 6.4.6 (thanks @Brian_White)
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cappelikan/ppa -y && sudo apt update && sudo apt install mainline -y && sudo mainline --install-latest --yes

With both examples, simply rebooting afterward will get you to a good state.

4 Likes

I just ran a dnf upgrade this morning which took me from kernel 6.3.8 to 6.4.4 on Fedora 38.

A reboot resulted in a black screen, which required a hard power off. On rebooting into 6.3.8, I found these threads.

My next step will be to add the tpm_tis.interrupts parameter to see if that resolves the 6.4.4 issue, but just running with 6.4.4 does not seem to be a fix.

If you don’t want to wait, 6.4.6 is already available in testing (37, 38), sudo dnf --enablerepo updates-testing --refresh update kernel* should get it.

2 Likes

It looks like 6.4.6 is working on Fedora 38 on my 13th gen.
If you go into Software Center->Updates, click on the 3 bars and select Software Repositories you can add the Fedora 38 - x86_64 - Test Updates repo. After that, you can run a dnf update or check for updates in the Software Center.
After downloading the updates, It requires a restart, and will again hang at boot. If you power off and then reboot into the earlier kernel version you were using, It should finish the update.
I don’t typically run test updates, so I disabled the repo after the update, and would recommend doing so too if you don’t want early software versions.

1 Like

This is the way. :slight_smile:

I’ve disabled TPM through the BIOS until the update hits stable. This is not the ideal solution, but it made all the problems disappear.

Fedora 38 kernel 6.4.6 is now in stable. Booted fine without “tpm_tis.interrupts=0” in the kernel args.

4 Likes

confirmed here too. Got 6.4.6-200.fc38.x86_64 (no boot params, and no waiting) this AM and lappy (not a framework, but similar) started to boot-behave nicely.

Shout out to this community: it has been extremely helpful sorting thru a myriad of issues I have with FC36,37,38 on my Alder Lake laptop (not a framework guy, yet but will be soon).

1 Like

Confirming here as well. 6.4.6-200.fc38.x86_64. TPM is working as expected. Thanks all for keeping track of this one!

1 Like

Hi folks, reporting from Debian testing here. Looks like I’m facing this same issue. linux-image-6.4.0-1-amd64 wouldn’t boot for me. linux-image-6.3.0-1-amd64 Version 6.3.7-1 booted fine. I temporarily added the tpm_tis.interrupts=0 argument following these instructions and am able to run my 6.4.4-1 kernel. Thanks, all!

2 Likes

openSUSE Tumbleweed with 6.4.6 and everything is now fine without the parameter.

On Fedora 37 kernel 6.4.7-100.fc37 works fine again. Problem solved I guess.

Yeah, they caught it in .6 and the resolution has progressed through .7

So things are looking good. That said, because it’s resolved in these two current kernels, marking this resolved.

Should it crop up again, this thread is open to track again.

1 Like

Chiming in to mention debian unstable. Kernel package versions 6.4.0-1 and 6.4.0-2 (these are debian versions, not kernel versions) were failing as everyone else described above. Adding tpm_tis.interrupts=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/defaults/grub then sudo update-grub allowed booting.
This is on a 12th gen laptop.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for that, I added this to one of our pinned Debian guides a community member put together.

This is fixed with linux-image-6.4.0-3-amd64 Version 6.4.11-1

2 Likes

This is correct.

I think the kernel has regressed. I’m unable to shutdown on arch with 6.5.3-arch1-1 and a FW 12th gen. I tried the flag (using systemd-boot) with no success. I realize that this is not a supported setup. The issue is present when using a live image and when exiting the bios too. I don’t even use the TPM for anything (that I am aware of); is there a way to outright disable it?

1 Like