[TRACKING] Lots of stuttering and lagging on AMD + Ubuntu 22.04

@Matt_Hartley I think the trick here is to increase the system temperature without pushing the CPU load. I managed to get the stuttering to occur consistently by encouraging the laptop to get warm (still, within reason).

Try this:

• Drain the laptop battery to ~30%
  • Charge it while the display is closed and the laptop sits on a soft surface. My laptop was charging on a couch.
  • After about half an hour, wake up the laptop and leave it on the couch.

Don’t try doing anything that would push the CPU load to extremes. Encourage the laptop to stay warm while using it and observe it. I’ve been unable to reproduce the stuttering while the laptop sits on a desk, but it will appear after about half an hour of use sitting in my lap.

Some more information as Im still getting system lock ups with Ubuntu wayland. I have easy effects open, a terminal session, and firefox as active windows. Im a browser tab hoarder as I use an extension called simple tab groups to organize trips and other things going on so I’ll usually have 5-8 active tabs with currently 80 tabs total including the active ones (so 75 background tabs not actively loaded in memory). On battery power with no external displays, or other things attached like a mouse or keyboard to the usb ports.

System behaviour swings from being responsive to total lockup while posting this comment. No keyboard or mouse input is processed while the system hangs. It will eventually catch up and process inputs but will take anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute before it becomes responsive again.

I can confirm that this behaviour doesn’t happen when using ubuntu on Xorg. This seems to only happen for me when using the wayland Ubuntu environment.

Affected by this issue as well.

• Batch 2, 7840u
  • Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (installed on Intel 12th gen but went through Framework AMD OEM kernel installation steps before hardware upgrade to AMD and first booting with AMD)
  • All software packages at latest version as of today
  • GNOME session (not “Ubuntu” session)
  • Session uses Wayland
  • Fractional scaling set to 125%
  • Running on battery, ~70% SOC
  • Happens without any external devices or cables attached
  • Back expansion ports are USB-C, the other are USB-A and HDMI, all taken from the AMD box
  • Freezing also happens with all four expansion ports empty
  • After logging in with no applications open, as soon as I launch Firefox, frequent significant freezing starts occurring at random intervals (anywhere from one to many seconds after the previous freeze has disappeared), with everything on screen frozen for anywhere from a few hundred milliseconds to many seconds
  • When I close Firefox again, freezing almost disappears but is still noticeable with slight mouse cursor jumping when moving the cursor fast
  • It appears that the more graphically intense an application is, the more likely it is to trigger freezes, i.e. Firefox causes more freezing than e.g. a terminal window or a Nautilus window
  • The more windows are open, the more extensive freezing seems to become

System info:

Vendor: INSYDE Corp.
	Version: 03.02
	Release Date: 09/27/2023
	Address: 0xE0000
       product: AMD Ryzen 7 7840U w/ Radeon  780M Graphics
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
       physical id: 4
       bus info: cpu@0
       version: 25.116.1
Kernel version: 6.1.0-1024-oem

Edit: Did some more testing with Firefox. It appears that the freezes predominantly appear to happen when something new needs to be rendered. For example, when I open this very forum page, the screen freezes for around 20 seconds. After the freeze is gone, I can scroll perfectly smooth up and down. However, when I scroll far enough that the forum loads additional messages, there is another multi-second freeze. Once that has receded, I can scroll fine again.

I would therefore assume the freezes have to do with how Wayland requests graphics memory to be allocated for textures.

@Matt_Hartley Ping (making sure you see this)

I think I have the same issue. I ran the commands @Matt_Hartley asked earlier. I am on OEM 1024 not 1023, is that a problem? My expansion cards are (anticlockwise):

• USB-C
  • USB-C
  • HDMI
  • microSD

product: AMD Ryzen 7 7840U w/ Radeon 780M Graphics

Scaling is 100%.

I can immediately reproduce the stutter by opening Thunderbird and adding a Gmail account. Once the popup for entering the Google credentials comes up, the cursor freezes immediately and only moves a few millimeters after every 5 seconds or so. I managed to get that account set up across almost 10 minutes of time…
In general, using Thunderbird is one of the more egregious examples of the stutter. I have very slight mouse lags when using Firefox, Trackpad as well as Logitech MX Master (Bluetooth).
I had similar troubles opening Shotwell (the picture app bundled with Ubuntu). But not nearly as bad as Thunderbird with the credentials popup open.

Spotify is running in the background without any hickups playing back the entire time, so whatever is causing this is not affecting every process. It’s as if the input is frozen because not only does the mouse not react, it’s the same for keyboard inputs.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
lshw is already the newest version (02.19.git.2021.06.19.996aaad9c7-2build1).
lshw set to manually installed.
dmidecode is already the newest version (3.3-3ubuntu0.1).
dmidecode set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
       product: AMD Ryzen 7 7840U w/ Radeon  780M Graphics

I have very similar symptom, I also noticed that the stutter also happens when moving mouse cursor between monitors. Setting both monitor to the same screen scaling doesn’t remove the stutter.

with expansion card as (according to the picture in the guide)

1. USB C
  2. USB A
  3. USB C
  4. HDMI

BIOS 3.03 is out, maybe give that a try and report back?

Thanks for pointing that out. I totally missed that.

After updated to 3.03, the stutter was gone with quick scrolling in Firefox or moving cursor between monitors. Starting Thunderbird also no longer freeze the system for a few seconds.

I’ll report back if the issue resurface again.

1 Like

Same for me: Upgraded to BIOS 3.03 and stuttering / freezing has disappeared as far as I can tell :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting back. Issue solved.

1 Like

For those here reading about the 3.03 BIOS, here is the link:

Once I hear back from @juchong, I think we’re able to mark this as solved. I’ve been on 3.03 for sometime (Ubuntu 22.04.3 and Fedora 39, running great here.

I just installed it on my machine this morning. I’ll report back tomorrow once I let the update soak for a bit. This is a tricky one since it didn’t always happen.

@Matt_Hartley Using 3.03 in Ubuntu 22.04.3 and the OEM kernel, I’m noticing that the laptop will ramp the fans up and down very quickly for no apparent reason. I’ve heard the laptop do this twice while I write this.

EDIT: There does not appear to be a way to easily monitor the fan speed in Ubuntu, so I’m not able to share any logs/data.

1 Like

Confirming that the stutter is gone after upgrading to BIOS 3.03, @Matt_Hartley

Great job, guys!

1 Like

Is the 3.02 Bios availiable anywhere for download in case something goes wrong ? This page seems the most obvious to me. But it doesn’t have a download link.

@Matt_Hartley I have more bad news to report:

• The computer does not seem to enter sleep/suspend properly anymore. The display turned off as expected, but the laptop never entered S4/S5 automatically.
  • Forcing sleep mode and waking the laptop up will sometimes cause peripherals (WiFi card, fingerprint reader) to not initialize properly, forcing a reboot.

Screenshot from 2023-10-25 12-33-59

EDIT: However, the stuttering does seem to have disappeared!

Stuttering gone here as well with 3.03. Stable between Ubuntu 22.04, Pop_OS 22.04, and Fedora 39. This is the experience I was expecting out of this machine.

1 Like

My AMD 13" is also not going to sleep when closing the lid. It just stays awake.
Have to manually hit “suspend” first. Then it won’t wake up again, have to reboot it by hitting the power key long and hard.

@FlowWork Which BIOS version? Which kernel? Wayland or X11?

@Uwe_Fechner
BIOS 3.03
Kernel 6.1.0-1024-oem
X11