Trackpad issues on Linux: no pinching and vertical scrolling too fast

I run pop!_os 21.04 and the trackpad generally works very well. However, I have two major issues:

• Two-finger vertical scrolling is way too fast, making it hard to slowly scroll down a page. Changing the touchpad speed in Settings doesn’t affect the two-finger scroll speed. Horizontal scrolling works just fine.
  • Pinching doesn’t work, including in programs (like Figma) that usually support it.

Anyone else experienced those, or has suggestions on how to fix it?

1 Like

Since Pop!_OS is Ubuntu-based, this discussion about fast two-finger scrolling on Ubuntu might be useful to you.

The interesting comments/potential fixes start here:

1 Like

I’m on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS with Gnome 42.1. While the rest of the drivers work out of the box, the trackpad still does not recognize pinching and three finger swiping. Is there a fix to this?

On openSUSE Tumbleweed here with a 12th gen Intel; horizontal and vertical scrolling work flawlessly in Figma within Chrome, but pinch zoom doesn’t work at all until I install JoseExposito/touchegg: Linux multi-touch gesture recognizer with this config:

<application name="Google-chrome,Chromium-browser">
    <gesture type="PINCH" fingers="2" direction="IN">
      <action type="SEND_KEYS">
        <repeat>true</repeat>
        <modifiers>Control_L</modifiers>
        <keys>KP_Subtract</keys>
        <decreaseKeys>KP_Add</decreaseKeys>
      </action>
    </gesture>

<gesture type="PINCH" fingers="2" direction="OUT">
      <action type="SEND_KEYS">
        <repeat>true</repeat>
        <modifiers>Control_L</modifiers>
        <keys>KP_Add</keys>
        <decreaseKeys>KP_Subtract</decreaseKeys>
      </action>
    </gesture>
  </application>

at which point it starts reacting to pinch zoom gestures but is basically unusable:

• Sometimes a pinch zoom gesture in one direction results in zooming in one direction for a second followed by immediate zooming in the opposite direction, and then maybe back again.
  • Since the gesture is being translated into Control + or Control - keypresses, it is of course not at all smooth.

The workaround is to hold Control and use vertical scrolling which achieves smooth zooming.

Are you using the OEM provided Ubuntu driver that the Framework installation guide mentions?