Unable to wake from sleep

Will do, thanks! Do you have a vague ETA when we might expect a driver update / how these are typically announced to the community?

We’ll do internal testing at Framework, followed by a beta release on the forums here, and then final release to everyone.

3 Likes

I’m seeing the same won’t-wake issue sometimes, with the framework drivers. At least once it’s happened when I unplugged the laptop before attempting to wake, as described by someone else above. Not seeing any anomalies with battery charge.

My Sleep Study data indicates the system went from “Active” to “Screen off” the previous evening, then shows nothing until the “Abnormal shutdown” I initiated just now because it was stuck. In other words, looks like obfuscuririty’s screenshot.

I’ve had this happen probably two other times total since reverting to the Framework audio driver (and then later, upgrading to the newest bios and driver package).

Interestingly, as best I can recall… on both occasions, the laptop was hot and the fan was running, but after the “hard shutdown / reboot” cycle, it came back up as if it had woken from hibernation. That is, all of the apps I had previously open were restored and in the same state as they were before the attempted sleep.

@nrp hopefully this provides some additional context for you and the team.

1 Like

Hmm, I seem to have an issue also unable to wake up from sleep; I’d figure I’d just add my info to see if maybe it might help. ATM, I got Ubuntu 21.10 (beta), and what I notice is , if I close my laptop, wait some time, and then open up my laptop the power button will light up solid and not pusling , but screen stays black. Waited for a few minutes and nothing.

This also happened to me when I was on 21.04. I got the i5 CPU with 32 GB of RAM, with a 1TB NAND SSD so not sure if that is a problem? But figured I’d pitch in too. I’m part of batch 4 so I’m using whatever firmware version that came with.

If there are somethings I can run to help provide insight, let me know.

Check out my issue here.

I have a similar problem like this, but the power led is solid, and I cannot turn the laptop off, even when I force it.

There’s this urgent problem with the laptop where if you try to wake up from sleep then the display doesn’t come on. It’s a rare occurrence but it happened to me twice already. What I did is let the laptop go to sleep while on battery. Then you will see the power led and keyboard backlight are on, but not the display. I even held down the power button to force it to shut off, but it didn’t. You literally have to disconnect the battery or let it die to force it to shut off.

I made a video of the problem if it’s any clear.

3 Likes

Which OS are you using?

Have you double checked that any magnets you might have nearby aren’t near the laptop and causing it to sleep?

@Daniel_Gagnon Windows 11
@Dominic_Keen I dont have any nearby magnets. I hear the laptop is on , no matter what I do the screen wont turn on. And pushing the power button will not work either.

I’ve had this happen several times too. Linux in my case. In fact I think it happens every time I try to use suspend or hibernate instead of full power off. Because of this I have my machine set to only power the screen off when idle, and then eventually full shutdown, no suspend or hibernate. If I let it suspend, I get that locked state with the power button lit but screen black and totally unresponsive to any buttons or other sensors. IE, opening and closing the lid doesn’t cause a reaction either.

I just assumed it was because I was using linux and a bleeding edge kernel.

The power button does work but it takes 15 full seconds not 4 or 5. I timed it.

2 Likes

I’ve had this happen a few times on Linux as well (Fedora 35, 5.14. kernel), although it doesn’t happen every time I open the lid (from suspend) as described by the above poster. Typically it will sleep and then resume just fine, although resume from suspend is consistently pretty slow as lots of people have reported.

I noticed this too. The handful of times I’ve had to do a hard reset due to this problem, you really have to hold down on the square button for what feels like ages.

I’m noticing some strange behavior around sleeping and plugging in the charger.

Put the laptop into sleep (push the power button), wait for sleep, close the lid, and then plug in the charger. The laptop fans immediately kick into high with a lot of heat coming out the bottom. Opening the lid wakes the laptop immediately as expected, but this may not be the case if it sits in this state long enough.

Try limiting your system to only use S3 sleep and not S01x or whatever hybrid sleep is. That seems to be working pretty consistently for me.

I’m new to tweaking Windows laptops, how would I get around to disabling S0 and enabling S3?

In Windows you’d search in Settings for sleep or hybrid and then disable it, you may need to go into the advanced settings to find the right option.

@john_doe You’re video perfectly captures what I am experiencing! as other users have noted, this seems to be an issue with Linux. Now in ubuntu, I did notice there is this bug report

For Ubuntu
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1909005 , where people are reporting this happening on their dell laptops for example. So it might be related to the linux kernel or the OS?

The time it takes to fully shut off the laptop, during times where it cannot wake up for me, is around the time frame that @Brian_White has noted.

1 Like

@Ivan_Diaz right, except that I’m experiencing this on Windows 11

1 Like

Wow you are right. Almost every post in that thread is the same exact symptoms.

Maybe those Dells and Lenovos and the Framework share some hardware or firmware component. The kernel versions are all over the place and of course as you point out, totally different OS’s let alone mere kernel versions.