Unable to wake from sleep

I’m new to tweaking Windows laptops, how would I get around to disabling S0 and enabling S3?

In Windows you’d search in Settings for sleep or hybrid and then disable it, you may need to go into the advanced settings to find the right option.

@john_doe You’re video perfectly captures what I am experiencing! as other users have noted, this seems to be an issue with Linux. Now in ubuntu, I did notice there is this bug report

For Ubuntu
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1909005 , where people are reporting this happening on their dell laptops for example. So it might be related to the linux kernel or the OS?

The time it takes to fully shut off the laptop, during times where it cannot wake up for me, is around the time frame that @Brian_White has noted.

1 Like

@Ivan_Diaz right, except that I’m experiencing this on Windows 11

1 Like

Wow you are right. Almost every post in that thread is the same exact symptoms.

Maybe those Dells and Lenovos and the Framework share some hardware or firmware component. The kernel versions are all over the place and of course as you point out, totally different OS’s let alone mere kernel versions.

FYI I think there is some kind of kernel regression with this.
I tried 5.13.12 - and the system will successfully enter and exit modern standby.
However using.
5.14.9 the firmware never enters modern standby when the lid is closed, and when you open the lid again, the display will be stuck off, and it looks like the cpu stops servicing hardware interrupts because toggling the caps lock button will not change the caps lock LED. And a hard reset is required.

2 Likes

I was unable to get any luck, even on 5.13.12 kernel for Ubuntu 21.10

I downloaded the packages from
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

disabled secure boot, to get the latest ones to work without an “invalid signature” error

ran it on 5.13 that 21.10 comes with, then 5.13.12, and then on 5.14.12 and no luck. As soon as I hit “Suspend”, I can’t turn it back on by touching buttons. So I would then close the lid, wait a few seconds, open it up, the power button will light up but no response from keyboard. Hitting the caps lock key does not even turn on the light on it.

The other user I quoted earlier who had the video also experienced this with Windows 11. So this is apparently not exclusive to linux and the kernels did not seem to fix it, at least for me :frowning:

For those on Linux, try enabling the journalctl persistence across boots, that way after a forced poweroff and startup you can pull the last system logs from after the attempted resume and posting a link to your logs that you’ve uploaded to gist.github.com or pastebin (or similar services) might help spot a specific firmware/ACPI/interrupt (module or other accessory?) causing issues with the newer kernel (since logging hopefully gets priority when waking up system services).

I haven’t had any problems using Debian sid’s 5.14.9 kernel. Batch 3, DIY i7-1165G7. On the other hand, I’ve reconfigured systemd to have lid-close lock without sleeping. I have Fn+P (“pause”) remapped to send “sleep” instead for when I want to suspend.

I’ve also used rtcwake and turbostat to test the standby and confirm it’s getting into s0ix during suspend. And the counters in /sys/kernel/debug/pmc_core/substate_residencies show it’s specifically getting into s0i3.0.

On the other hand, I have noticed a few things not working right after resuming from s2idle suspend. The system never gets beyond C3 (e.g. the counters for higher states in /sys/kernel/debug/pmc_core/package_cstate_show stop increasing), and also /sys/kernel/debug/pmc_core/ltr_show shows bogus values for ISH if the kernel drivers for that are loaded. Reboot or an S3 (“deep”) suspend fix both of those.

I believe that the bios and tiger lake platform do not support S3. Only S0. This could be why you are seeing the glitches you are. For me S2 deep works well, with a slight delay when waking.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Fedora is running currently the absolute best on the Framework as of right now?

I’m not clear on what you’re trying to say. The “deep” option in /sys/power/mem_sleep is S3. The “s2idle” option is S0.

For me at least, when using “deep” the delay is around 12 seconds. For “s2idle” it’s already awake by the time I get the lid raised.

# cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
[s2idle] deep

This would indicate that you’re using s2idle.

# cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
s2idle [deep]

This would indicate that you’re using deep.

Simply that s3 is not supported.

Anything new on this problem?
It happens to me once or twice a week. I Put the machine to sleep with keyboard command and it won’t wake up. Have to use power button to shut down. Reboot usually works okay. Usually only happens after an extended sleep period.

For the record, my situation is Ubuntu 5.11.0-38-generic. Firmware and sleep settings are default as I haven’t tinkered with them.
Last message in log:
Nov 07 20:56:39 oak systemd-sleep[135126]: Suspending system…

1 Like

I haven’t heard any updates. :frowning:

1 Like

So I tried on my Ubuntu 21.10 running the linux kernel, 5.15.0-051500-generic and nothing changed. Once my laptop goes to sleep via closing lid, I still cannot wake it up besides a hard reboot by pressing down the power button.

Hopefully someone out there has some better insight :frowning:

@Ivan_Diaz does the same issue occur if you use a Live USB instead of installing onto the internal SSD? Could you share what SSD you are using?

Certainly, this is what I bought and installed with, Amazon.com

I have not tried with a Live USB, I can try to give it a go. At the moment its just running off my internal SSD.

I feel like most of my issues with the Framework since I have received it have been about suspending and waking. Really makes it frustrating. Here are some of threads I’m on about it:

Honestly it’s been very frustrating replacing my old laptop with this one so far because most of the time it is my desktop replacement. And having to constantly undock it, open it, try to wake it, hold down the button to kill it, restart it, plug it back in, close it, redock it, has been a pain in the ___.

1 Like

I am having a similar issue. In my case, my laptop REFUSES to wake up from sleep and instead just shows a blue screen that the boot sector cannot be found. When I manually use the power button to switch off and on it works again.

My config

DiY i5 Batch 4
SSD: Crucial P5 1TB
RAM: 16GBx1 Crucial Kit supplied by Framework

I have noticed this issue both plugged and plugged out. My laptop never reliably switches on after standby. This is an issue both on Fedora and Windows.

With Windows I directly get the boot sector blue screen. With Fedora the behaviour is very strange. I am able to log into the desktop again with my password, but everything is non-responsive. I can move my mouse cursor, the button clicking animations work, but there is literally no output aside from that. I am not able to shut down without pressing the power button and when I do I see a bunch of errors pop up on screen with ‘FAILED’ in red showing. I have to manually force shut down my laptop to be able to use it again after those errors.

I will try to take a picture of the errors that pop up and post on this thread.

1 Like