USB-C/Thunderbolt Dock Megathread

The J5Create USB C docking station I mentioned in a previous post does not support Linux. I fired up Fedora for the first time yesterday and the monitor display/HDMI wouldn’t work. I am a noob to Linux so instead of fiddling around forever, I opened a support ticket with J5Create. I got a response which stated they only support Windows and MacOS. It does work well on Windows 10 and 11 however and someone with a deeper understanding of Linux may be able to get it running on your favorite distro. For my part I will be returning it and have ordered another which runs on Linux/Windows. I order a Pluggable US-CAM which should work. Will post when it arrives and I test it.

Hi, all.

I have DeepFox FX-PD12 USB-c hub. It works OK with HP EliteBook 840 g8, works OK with Lenovo Yoga 13.
When plugged to Framework, I have 2 problems:

• during startup, the hub resets - so booting from USB drive connected to it is not possible
  • while operating, the hub makes this weird thing when the monitors connected to it turn off and back on for micro-short time, resulting in 3 seconds of black screens

I am running Ubuntu 21.10 and 20.10, both make the same problem. Booting the same OS on my older Yoga (dd-copied the installation) works no problem, no display blinking.
I tried to test it with 2 different USB-C PD power sources - Aukey Omnia PA-B3 and some no-name chinese 65W adapter that was powering my Yoga for 1 year no problem (with the same USB-C hub).
Did someone else experienced similar problem?

Hi everyone,

I have my DIY Framework laptop (Batch 6) installed with Ubuntu 21.10. I maxed out the hardware available at the time of purchase (Processor, RAM, WiFi, and NVMe (2TB WD-Black 850). All laptop hardware worked after the installation except for the fingerprint sensor.

When the laptop is connected to the docking station, I can have the display-port working. Within Ubuntu 21.10 this docking station.

I tried two docking stations.
The first one I connected to the laptop was the StarTech USB-C docking station (TB3DK2DPPD). The unit was recognized and the monitor connected from the docking station via Display Port worked. I could not get a second monitor to be recognized via the docking station.

The second one I connected to the laptop was OWC Mercury Elite Pro Thunderbolt 3 Dock and Dual-Drive RAID 0GB Enclosure (NOTE: The unit is now called Gemini). The results were the same as the StarTeck docking station.

Separately with either docking station, I was able to connect a second monitor via HDMI.

I was not able to get a second monitor to be recognized via the USB-C or Display Port expansion card to use a second monitor.

I have not installed any special hardware drivers.

As I have not decided which desktop OS, I plan to try Pop OS 21.10 in the future

Both of these docks work well with my Macbook Pros (13" and 15" Intel models from 2017 thru 2019). The same two displays are recognized via either docking station.

I am using the Official Raspberry PI Keyboard and Hub and Official Mouse.
I was able to get a number of network adapters to work via USB-C and USB-3 Type A port.

I will share more in the future.

The previous post was deleted to give these updated results.

I’m surprised I hadn’t seen this mentioned yet, but I’m happily using the uni 8-in-1 dock.

All I really wanted was something with a long cable that could do power and ethernet, such that I can leave this at my desk and only have one cable to plug into (and unplug when I leave); this one has a detachable cable and is pretty compact, if I ever want to take it with me or something.

The cable that it comes with is pretty short, making it not too much better than other dongles, but since it’s detachable, you can replace it with something else. uni themselves sells a longer cable, though it maxes out at 60W rather than the ~100W short cable that’s included. I instead got Spigen’s USB4 cable, which works just as well, and is as long as I need.

To power it, I grabbed a beefy Nekteck 100W charger; you need more than 65W if you want to power the laptop through it, but 100W is probably overkill. I had guessed that the 400Hz problem was related to underpowered chargers, but that turned out not to be the case, so I probably could have gotten away with a 90W and been fine.

Now, I leave the official Framework charger in my bag with a Type-C gigabit adapter, and I’m very happy.

Replaced my DeepFox FX-PD12 with i-TEC Dual Display 100W hub.
This one works no problem, the notebook charges no problem, no display blinking, no disconnect/reconnect.
Absolutely no problem from now on.
It’s possible the DeepFox FX-PD12 would work no problem if I had 100W USB-PD around, but I didn’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

Has anyone already tested the new “Targus USB-C Dual HDMI 4K Docking Station with 100W PD Pass-Thru”? According to the specs it got Thunderbolt 3, PD with 100W, 2x HDMI with 2x4k@60Hz (-> seems to be DisplayPort 1.4, but this isn’t mentioned in the specs) and advertised Linux support. And it’s pretty cheap (<100€), too!

I’m just missing a headset port and 1-2 slow USB ports, but this should be easy to fix using a common USB audio card and a cheap passive USB 3.0 hub.

If nobody will to a test of this dock, I will do it in February when my notebook arrives :slightly_smiling_face: Alternatively I will test this dock with more ports and full DP 1.4 support: Delock Products 87772 Delock USB Type-C™ DP 1.4 Docking Station Triple 4K Display - HDMI / DisplayPort / USB / LAN / SD / PD 3.0

1 Like

After using POP!_OS 21.10 for 1 day, I was not able to get the second monitor to be recognized via the two docking stations ( TB3DK2DPPD and OWC Mercury Elite Pro Thunderbolt 3 Dock and Dual-Drive RAID 0GB Enclosure ).

I tried to use one of my spare USB-C expansion cards to connect to my second monitor, but that was not successful (using Ubuntu 21.10 as well as POP!_OS 21.10). I am forced to use the HDMI expansion card to have a second monitor.

With the items I have tested, I am wondering if this is a limitation to the hardware or graphics card.

If there is interest I have two other OWC Docks which are older models:

@theraser I just got the “Targus USB-C Dual HDMI 4K Docking Station with 100W PD Pass-Thru”. Works out of the box on Windows 10. HDMI, loading through the hub (although subjectively a bit slower than said), USB-Ports work, LAN as well.

2 Likes

Thanks @SmokeTech! Do you want to edit the first (wiki) post in this thread? I will use Arch Linux and can add information for that later on.

@theraser I tried but for me it seems its read only. You can add it for me if you like.
Model: Targus USB-C Dual HDMI 4K Docking Station with 100W PD Pass-Thru
Vendors: Delock.de
Notes: Tested with Windows 10 Pro: Works out of the box. HDMI, loading through the hub works, USB-Ports work, LAN as well. Did not test SD Slots. Doesn’t include a power adapter. Short cable to the laptop but works for me.

Hello @SmokeTech, I think I’ve fixed this for you. Give it a try now.

@Fraoch

Now I can edit it, also save the draft. But once I hit Save “Forbidden 403” shows up. Tested with Firefox and then Chrome. Deactivated the plugins.

| Targus | USB-C Dual HDMI 4K Docking Station with 100W PD Pass-Thru | delock | @SmokeTech | Tested with Windows 10 Pro: Works out of the box. Tested: HDMI, loading through the hub, USB-Ports, LAN and SD-Card Slot. Doesn’t include a power adapter. Short cable to the laptop but works for me.|

I’ve been getting the 403 error after edits and others have too. It saves your edit though and when I tried later it worked? Site bug that appeared a couple of weeks ago.

Has anyone been able to confirm if the Dell WD19TB can output to 3 monitors on Linux?

I’m looking for a dock with pretty specific needs. There are very few docks available that check all the boxes, and I haven’t been able to find good evidence that they’ll work on Linux.

My requirements are:

• 3 displays at 2560x1440 60hz (HDMI or DisplayPort, doesn’t matter)
  • Ethernet
  • 65w or more power delivery
  • Audio out (headphone jack)
  • At least two USB-A ports

My goal is to be able to plug in one cable and get to work with a full desktop experience.

Sadly it looks like Dell doesn’t make the WD19TB anymore, or at least doesn’t show it on their website. I can still find it on Amazon, but the price has jumped by a lot. It seems they’ve replaced it with the WD19TBS, which drops the headphone jack.

If I could be sure it’ll work with the 3 monitor setup though, I’d pay the jacked up price.

I’ve also found this Startech dock which meets all the criteria. But no word on Linux compatability. USB-C Dock 4K Triple Monitor DP/HDMI PD - Laptop Docking Stations

If anyone has gotten a setup working like I described, I’d really appreciate hearing from you.

1 Like

I’m getting a 403 error when I try to update the table, but I’ve settled on this docking station, and so far I’m very happy with it:

4URPC Laptop Docking Station Dual Monitor USB C 10-in-1 (HU-104B)
4urpc.com

My absolute requirements were dual monitor, pass-through charging, headphone support, and at least 3 USB A ports (at least 1 at 3.x).

Tested with Windows 11. USB A, audio, HDMI 1 & 2 are all working. I haven’t tested Ethernet or SD cards. It charges fine with the Framework charger, but I’ve gone with a Nekteck 90W wall charger as a power source, so I have my Framework charger ready to go on the road (and to give some overhead for charging other devices off the dock). I had to disconnect and reconnect at various points, but once something worked it kept working. Supports 3 screens including the laptop but also has a built-in stand for storing the laptop closed (that was what led me to this one over other similar models).

Update on the CableMatters 107044 Hybrid TB3 Dock. I can only run one external monitor with it and my i5 Framework. I tried all combinations of the ports (2x HDMI, 2x DP, 1x HDMI + 1x DP, and DP daisy chain). The second monitor doesn’t seem to get a stable signal.

The dock works great with a different HP laptop, so I’m keeping it for now. It also seems identical to the Plugable TBT3-UDZ dock. I’ll try to follow up with CableMatters support.

If anyone here has either of these docks, let me know if they work for you.

After reading the post from @Daniel_Power, I am revisiting how I was testing my Startech dock https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/tb3dk2dppd.

The manual is listed here.

In reading this thread about which ALT mode is supported

the docking station will be limited based on the docking station chipset and/or cables .

In my initial testing I am getting the same result as everyone - the docking station has 1 monitor working via display port, but the second monitor does not work from the station. If I plug that monitor’s cable directly to the laptop, then the monitor works.

Upon looking at the technical document (via the pdf):
DP alt mode (DisplayPort alternative mode)
This docking station supports DP alt mode, which means a DisplayPort video signal
can be transferred over a USB-C cable. Thunderbolt 3 supports the full USB-C standard,
including support for DP alt mode. Because the docking station supports DP alt mode,
you can connect Thunderbolt 3 or USB-C based video devices, cables, or adapters to
the secondary Thunderbolt 3 port on the rear of the docking station.

While the manual references to this dongle ( CDP2HD4K60 ), I was not able to find this exact module via Amazon; Amazon recommended me this model CDP2HD4K60H. During the initial testing, the dongle connected with a HDMI cable works better than any previously USB-C to HDMI cable.

When I plugged the dongle/HDMI into dock’s USB-C port, the two external monitors are working. In fact, the laptop monitor is working. With the three displays, I noticed the laptop screen was not responding. I can disconnect the USB-C cable, but the laptop’s monitor was frozen.

As I am using POP!_OS 21.10, I have not tried using Windows (or using drivers specific to the chipset).

I am lead to think the laptop might work as long as the requirements/circumstances are met correctly.

Hope this helps,
Patrick

I am also having an issue with Windows and the WD15 dock. For one mine doesnt charge at all, and it also does not let me run my monitor at 60hz, only 30. I was wondering if you are on the most recent batch of drivers, I really don’t want to try and registry edit to fix this.

Mine does not charge all the time. But when I disconnect and reconnect, it’ll eventually work - though sometimes I have to do disconnect and connect the cable multiple times.

But it is running my monitor at 60hz.

I did download the most recent BIOS and installed the latest batch of Framework drivers, and currently running on Windows 11

I’ve tried two different docks:

1 | Wavlink WL-UMD01 - I had trouble getting the monitor to work reliably. I could get it to work, but often would need to reboot the dock multiple times or unplug and re-plug in the monitor or dock

2 |Cable Matters 201053 - Seems to be working seamlessly out of the box. I haven’t got two monitors, so I can’t test that.

With both I have troubles with my keyboard (Durgod Taurus K320) - it works for a few seconds and stops working. It works without an issue directly plugged into the laptop. I don’t know if the cause of the problem is the docks or the keyboard.