USB-C/Thunderbolt Dock Megathread

Are you looking for a Thunderbolt/USB-C dock for your Framework laptop? This wiki entry will provide a list of docks the community has tried and tested.

[Note: this is a wiki post. If you have information to add/change (either information you yourself discovered, or just things said by other users in this thread but not yet added to the wiki table), then you can edit this post itself by clicking the button just above to the right, with the stylized pencil-in-a-box icon.]

Notes: looking for devices worth testing, and performing tests:

• Wattage: At least 60W is needed to charge the laptop. If the dock provides greater than or equal to 60W, then it passes this criteria.
  • Port Compatibility: Please test all ports on your dock to ensure they work as expected. If a port does not work, please make note of this in the notes section. This note may be removed by future reviewers if it is found the issue has been rectified by the manufacturer.
  • OS Compatibility: Most will list Windows and MacOS out of the box, but please make a note if you find that a particular OS is not compatible.
  • Driver Requirements: Some docks require proprietary drivers. If this is the case, please make note of this and provide a link to download the driver.

Notes: adding info to the table:

• Cost: Don’t bother marking down prices in the table. (They fluctuate and we can’t provide a live price, so the dock-shopper will want to check at the vendor’s site anyway.)
  • Specs: If you don’t feel like it, there’s no pressure to bother filling out details like number and type of ports, Thunderbolt 3 or 4, etc etc – there are still so few entries that it wouldn’t really be useful to a dock-shopper trying to start filtering the list for something that meets what they want.
  • “Vendors”: ([?] Also feel free to leave this empty if all you’d be doing is pasting a link to amazon or whatever – prolly safe to assume a dock-shopper knows how to search amazon themself, right?)
  • “Model number”: Note distinction: put model number, not serial number
    (
    ie, the model number (should) uniquely identify the specific model of product, so people can buy the exact same one,
    whereas the serial number (should) uniquely identify the actual one specific physical device that you own, which should by default be private information to you the owner.
    (It is very unlikely anyone would/could use a serial number to hack you or whatever, but the model number is the only useful thing to share anyway.)
    )

Supported Docks

This table is provided for and maintained by the community. Inclusion in this table does not constitute endorsement by Framework Computer, Inc. Framework Computer, Inc. is not liable for any damage caused to your laptop by use or misuse of these docks and you do so at your own risk.

Name Model Number Vendors Contributing Users Notes
Anker Apex 12-in-1 Thunderbolt 4 Docking Station Amazon (Currently available) Kevin_Gilliatt Tested with Windows 11. 120W Power Supply (90W TB4 for Upstream, 15W TB4 for Downstream, 20W USB-C 3.1 Thunderbolt 4 Only - Not Backward Compatible with Older Thunderbolt Versions. Have not tested card reader, nor have I verified Thunderbolt port speeds yet. Everything works great including power delivery and peripheral connectivity. Expensive but was worth the price to me. ,Tested working with Fedora 36 KDE
Anker PowerExpand 6-in-1 USB-C PD Ethernet Hub Amazon: B08CKXNJZS F_Behrens All Ports and Charging works in Linux and Windows 10
Anker PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock Amazon JP_Powers Works with Ubuntu 21.04 and Windows 10. USB-C Power (although it’s charging reports it’s a low wattage adapter?), USB, network, HDMI out, and TB3 Downstream USB-C to Displayport 1.4 adapter all work. On initial boot up requires turning the dock on and off, but reboots detect it during bootup.
Anker PowerExpand 13-in-1 USB-C Dock Amazon JP_Powers Mostly works in Ubuntu 21.04, gave up on though because it can’t do dual video out. Only 1 of the 3 video outs on the dock will function at a time for me. May work better in Windows.
Anker PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock for USB-C Laptops Amazon Carlos_Fernandez_San
  • Tested on Ubuntu 21.04 with i3 windows manager, kernel 5.12.
  • Secondary screen not available until OS completes boot (no BIOS access, no grub).
  • Works well with a KVM
  • 3440x1440 (UW) resolution works fine.
  • Sound (audio and mic) works OK.
  • Boot on power-on (i.e. when pressing the power button) works correctly but you won’t have any confirmation until the OS boots.
  • Keypress can wake linux from sleep.
  • Not tested: Network, dual display, card reader
Anker 553(A8380) Anker: Anker 553 USB-C Hub
Amazon: Anker 553 on Amazon
Dilan_Gilluly Tested with Framework 13 - 13th gen Intel on Windows 11.
  • USB Ports - Working
  • Card Reader - Working
  • Ethernet - Working
  • PXE on Ethernet - Not Tested
  • HDMI Ports - Working
Anker 778 Anker: Thunderbolt Docking Station
Amazon: B0BMXSR2L7
matthew_brooks Multi-display output works on Linux (11th gen Intel, and AMD 7840U). Dock power button only turns dock on and off, not laptop.
Anwike AI500-CA Amazon.ca Fraoch Everything working in Linux Mint 20.2 except HDMI + VGA simultaneously. Over HDMI, will operate one 2K display at 75Hz or 2 X 2K displays at 2048x1152@60Hz. Chips are VIA, JMTek, Terminus Technology and Alcor Micro with a Realtek RTL8153 gigabit controller.
Aukey CBC71 USAN1011417 AUKEY CBC71 8 in 1 USB C Hub with Ethernet Port, 4K USB C to HDMI Black A_L
  • Linux Mint xfce 20.2 with kernel 5.11.0-25: USB-C (power-in and external drive), USB-A x3 (external drive), wired ethernet, HDMI video out work without any futzing. Pending testing of HDMI audio out
Aukey CBC68 AUKEY Unity Link 7-in-1 USB-C PD II 100W Hub (Black) Davy_bell
  • Windows 10 (no drivers needed): USB-C (power in), USB-A (gen 3) x3, HDMI video (4K at 30hz) Count not test hdmi audio, Sd card and micro sd reader work (not at same time since they share a controller)
Belkin TB-3 Dock Pro F4U097 [NOT “TT”] belkin.com, amazon.com (not on ca?)
  • CraigO
  • bnjns
Seems to work out the box, but you need to be careful about the cable orientation and you may need to reboot for it to be detected properly (the LED on the front will be green)
Blitzwolf BW-TH14 TH14-DP https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002945110793.html Davy_bell Windows 10 (no drivers needed):
  • USB-C (power in)
  • USB3-A x4
  • USB2-A x2
  • USB-C/TB3 (out) x2
  • USB-C (in) x1
  • Ethernet x1
  • HDMI x2
  • DP x1 (Tested both hdmi and DP with 4K out*) Count not test hdmi audio
  • 3.5mm Jack (combo jack, only tested sound, not mic).
  • *Quickly tested that 2 monitors work (did not try 3)
  • **I HAD to use a Thunderbolt 3 cable, USB-C cables were not working, laptop was cycling connecting/disconnecting.
Cable Matters 107014 Amazon guy_mcdudefella Needed to power cycle it before it would recognize the laptop, but then worked like a charm. Tested on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.
Cable Matters 107034-SIL Amazon scottretro Seems to work out of the box. Tested with Arch on 10/14/21.
  • Dual DisplayPort (3440x1440 and 2560x1440) at 120Hz
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 3.5mm audio
  • USB-A
  • USB-C 3.1
  • 60W PD
Cable Matters 107044 Amazon Anand_Gadiyar Dock supports multiple options for two external displays. On the i5 Framework with Windows 10, both monitors now work (need a firmware update).
  • Dual DisplayPort (4k at 60Hz)
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 3.5mm audio
  • USB-A 3.0 x5
  • USB-A 3.1 x1
  • USB-C 3.1 x1
  • SD/MicroSD slot
  • 96W PD
Cable Matters 107024-BLK Amazon tejas_viswanath Works out of the box. Tested with Ubuntu 21.04 on 01/23/22.
  • Dual 4K @ 60Hz (1 DisplayPort, 1 USB-C)
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 3.5mm audio
  • 2 x USB-A 3.0 (front + back)
  • USB-C 3.1 (front)
  • 85W PD
Cable Matters 201053 Amazon Jay_Sekora Works well for me under Ubuntu 21.10 and 22.04 with two external 1080p@60Hz HDMI monitors, plus USB 2.0 input devices and USB 3.0 storage.
Card readers and Ethernet untested; audio only lightly tested.
Lightly tested under Windows 10 too and works fine.
Powers laptop fine.
Linux sometimes gets confused if booted with the dock connected; I find everything is more reliable if I power up the laptop and then connect the dock (which might be inconvenient for some use cases).
Caldigit TS3 Plus TS3PLUS-US07-SG [?] amazon.ca Nathan_Merkley
  • Everything seems to work.
  • Tested on: Fedora 34. [? ie, it worked plug-and-play, or any special notes on config/drivers etc?]
  • Issues: random swapping of monitor display names in xrandr on wakeup from sleep (ie monitor wakeup, not just system [?]), messing up monitor positioning. [? “random” ie it only happens occasionally…?]
  • Audio jack not fully confirmed, but shows up as audio device.
Caldigit Thunderbolt Station 4 Caldigit TS4 Caldigit Matthijs_Kooijman
  • Everything seems to work.
  • Tested on: Ubuntu 22.04.
  • Ports:
    • Back: TB4/USB host port (40Gbps, 98W)
    • Back: 4x USB-A (10Gb/s, 7.5W)
    • Back: 2x TB4 (40Gb/s, 15W)
    • Back: 1x USB-C (10Gb/s, 7.5W)
    • Back: 1x DisplayPort 1.4
    • Back: 2xAnalog audio 3.5mm (in/out)
    • Back: 2.5Gbit Ethernet (only usable with Thunderbolt upstream)
    • Back: 4x USB-A (10Gb/s, 7.5W)
    • Front: 1x USB-A (10Gb/s, 7.5W)
    • Front: 2x USB-C (10Gb/s, 20W)
    • Front: SD and ÎĽSD card (simultenously usable)
    • Front: 1xAnalog audio 3.5mm (in/out combojack)
  • 230W power supply included.
  • Supports dual 4K/6K displays, or single 8K (not tested). TB ports support DP-altmode, USB-C ports do not.
  • Internal USB2 hubs are single-TT.
  • Detailed USB topology here: USB-C/Thunderbolt Dock Megathread - #204 by Matthijs_Kooijman
  • Teardown of internals: CalDigit TS4 Thunderbolt 4 Dock Teardown – Dan S. Charlton
CalDigit Element Hub
  • R-R-CA5 [?]
  • TB4-ElementHub-US-AMZ
  • hCJ0t6BQ8
  • Michael_Murphy
Tested on: Arch with kernel 5.16.12
  • Everything (display, mic, webcam, keyboard, sticks) seems to work, plug-and-play
  • Issues: Sometimes when booting / connecting, it doesn’t work or needs a power cycle. Improved a lot after recent kernel update (use at least 5.16?)
  • See Manjaro Thunderbolt 4 Dock Woes for a minor reboot issue
Tested on: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS with kernel 5.13.0-41
  • Everything seems to work
  • Display out over USB-C works
  • Charging the laptop works when using a compatible Thunderbolt cable (tested with a Thunderbolt 3 cable rated at 100W). But It didn’t charge when tested with a random USB-C cable
  • Thunderbolt ports on the back worked with the USB-C Hub used
  • USB-A ports on the front worked with all devices that were tested including USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 devices
Dell TB16 K16A Unavailable Kevin_Gilliatt
  • Windows: Requires windows drivers. Windows drivers are required for dock function.
  • Windows 11: Loses connectivity to the dock on power on. Reconnects once drivers load.
Dell D6000 with DisplayLink 452-BCYT [?] amazon.ca, amazon.ca, refurbished F_Behrens HDMI, USB, Ethernet and PD charging work on Arch Linux out of the box. (you will need a Windows computer to update the Dock Firmware, though). Displayport often not properly reconnecting after suspend! Nice, long and flexible docking cable, not as stiff as most thunderbolt ones.
Dell D6000 with DisplayLink 452-BCYT[?] M4TJG[?] Dell M4TJG - Dell D6000 Universal Docking Station with 130W Adapter JU012 Atul_Ingle Tested on Batch 1 running Manjaro GNOME kernel 5.14.7-2. Followed installation instruction here: DisplayLink - ArchWiki Installed linux514-headers (not sure if this was necessary). evdi didn’t work so I had to install evdi-git followed by displaylink package from AUR. Then reboot the machine and run systemctl start displaylink.service.
Dell WD19TB Dell.com Rob_NoVA All functions appear to work out of the box. Have installed latest Dell drivers (except for WD19TB firmware update).
Dell WD15 amazon.ca kipcode66 / preston Linux Manjaro & Windows 10 (no driver needed)
  • USB-C with DP-Alt-Mode
  • 7.4mm 130W or 180W barrel plug (power in)
  • USB 3.0 x3 (one with PowerShare)
  • USB 2.0 x2
  • Gigabit Ethernet x1
  • VGA (max 1920x1200 @ 60hz)
  • HDMI (1.4a - max 4k x 2k @ 30hz)
  • mini DP (1.2 - max 4k x 2k @ 30hz)
  • 2 audio jack ports
  • White indicator LED x2 (only working on Windows)
  • Power button (not working)
  • Requires Dell PC for firmware updates
Documentation
Dell WD22TB4 Amazon, Dell Mir_rodriguez Charging, HDMI, DP, USB-C video, USB Type-A work out of the box. Tested with dual 4K monitors. Firmware upgraded with fwupdmgr. ISSUE: Dock not working (monitors not working, USB A external drive not recognised) after hibernate or suspend. Charging still works after hibernate/suspend
Delock USB Type-C DP 1.4 Docking Station Triple 4K Display 87772 Delock theraser / c0deMe Specs:
  • 1 x SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.2 Gen 1) USB Type-C jack
  • 1 x SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.2 Gen 1) USB Type-C jack
  • 1 x SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.2 Gen 1) Typ-A jack - Battery Charging specification BC1.2
  • 2 x SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.2 Gen 1) Typ-A jack
  • 1 x HDMI-A jack
  • 2 x DisplayPort jack
  • 1 x Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ45 jack
  • 1 x Headset 3,5 mm 4 Pin headphone jack
  • 1 x SD Slot
  • 1 x Micro SD Slot
  • USB PD 3.0 (up to 85W; extra USB-C power supply required)
Reports:
  • [theraser] Tested using Arch Linux (Kernel 5.16.16-arch1-1), everything works out-of-the-box. No problems with docking/undocking or suspending. Only issue: could not get 4k@60Hz running, no problems up to 4k@30Hz and two monitors. Seems to be a Linux DRM bug
  • [c0deMe] Tested with the 12th Gen Framework on Fedora 36 (5.19.12-200.fc36.x86_64), (and on other machines with Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10), worked without any extra drivers after an initial hiccup and a reboot of the dock. I do run occasionally into display connections issues with my framework under fedora, but that can be solved by either relogging into one’s account or temporarily switching to another tty, I guess it has something to do with wayland, but I’ll investigate further. I could run a 4k screen on 60Hz, but it’s not very smooth, I wonder whether that’s because of the limited graphical capabilities of the framework or not optimized drivers.
Lenovo ThinkPad USB-C Dock Gen 2 LDC-G2 Amazon Alec_Jurisch Windows 10 (no drivers needed):
  • USB-C (power in 65W Max)
  • USB-C 3.2 SS (Front)
  • USB 3.1 10 Gbps x2 (1 on front and 1 on back)
  • USB 3.1 10 Gbps (PD)
  • USB 2.0
  • Combo 3.5mm audio jack (front)
  • DP x2
  • HDMI
  • Gigabit Ethernet
Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 DK1841, ASM PN: SD20M70247, FRU PN: 03X7538, MPNs: 40AN0135US, 40AN0135EU, etc. B&H Photo Video, amazon.com Foxtrek_64, gms,nathaniel_graham Ports:
  • 2 x DisplayPort (up to 3840 x 2160 / 60 Hz)
  • 2 x HDMI
  • 1 x RJ45 1 GBit Ethernet (934 MBit/s effectively)
  • 1 x 3.5mm audio jack (headphone/microphone)
  • 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 GBit, one is always on)
  • 1 x USB-C Thunderbolt 3
  • Power supply vs. delivery: 135 W/65W or 230W/170W
Notes:
  • Indicator LEDs and power button does not integrate with Framework Laptop, on Fedora 37
  • DP, HDMI, Ethernet, Audio (in/out) ports work fine on Fedora 37, no firmware updates required. UPDATE for Fedora 39, the DisplayPort functionality is unstable. Powering on the laptop with the dock plugged in causes the monitors to not receive signal, even though the displays are recognized in xrandr and wayland.
  • Dock shows up as 3 x TB3 bridges and one USB controller (Intel JHL7540), each of these PCIe devices uses 4 x PCIe lanes, up to PCIe3 speed capable
Lenovo ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock 40B00135US, 40B00135EU, etc. B&H Photo Video, Lenovo kohenkatz Ports:
  • Supports single 7680x4320@30Hz (HDMI only) + single 5120x2880@60Hz (Thunderbolt); or up to 4x 3840x2160@60Hz (all ports)
  • 2 x DisplayPort 1.4
  • 1 x HDMI 2.1
  • 1 x RJ45 1 GBit Ethernet
  • 1 x 3.5mm audio jack (headphone/microphone)
  • 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 GBit; one on back is always on)
  • 1 x USB-C Thunderbolt 4 (on back)
  • 1 x USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 (on front; always on)
  • Uses ThinkPad “rectangular barrel” 135 W power supply, provides up to 100W power delivery. (Larger power supplies for greater power delivery require a laptop with a Lenovo-proprietary connector.)
Notes:
  • Power button does not integrate with Framework Laptop
Monoprice 36656 V2 Monoprice, Amazon, Newegg axsyse
  • Supports 60W PD charging
  • Supports Thunderbolt 3, but works fine on my Framework laptop
  • Works with Thunderbolt devices and non-Thunderbolt devices supporting USB-C DP Alt Mode (specifically, it says “USB-C MFDP”)
  • When using Thunderbolt, supports up to 2x 4K@60hz displays or one 8K@30hz display
  • When using USB-C DP Alt Mode, supports up to 2x 4K@30hz displays or one 4K@60hz display
  • Has lots of ports: 2x DP 1.4, gigabit ethernet, 1x USB-C 10Gbps + 2x USB-A 10Gbps + 1x USB-A 5Gbps, 1x SD & 1x microSD slots (haven’t checked if they work indepedently), 1x 3.5mm jack (i.e. headphone jack)
  • Needs a power brick to function (included)
  • I found no issues with my Framework laptop under Ubuntu 21.04 and 22.04, nor with a Macbook (TB3) or a Windows (10) laptop (USB-C DP Alt Mode)
Razer Thunderbolt 4 Dock Razer be_far
  • Tested on 11th gen. Windows 10 and Linux have no issues.
  • The headphone jack has slightly increased latency leading to maybe 2 milliseconds between audio starting to play and it actually coming through the headphones. Very short sounds like a metronome click may not come through if that’s the only audio being played.
UGREEN USB-C Dock with Ethernet Amazon Alec_Jurisch Windows 10 (no drivers needed):
  • USB-C (power in)
  • USB 3.0 x3
  • Combo 3.5mm audio jack
  • VGA
  • HDMI
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 4K at only 30 Hz
UTechSmart USB C Triple Display with Ethernet Amazon.com jm4120 Works with Windows 10 & 11. Drives 3 1920x1080/1200 HDMI displays plus laptop. Says 4K with some limits, but I don’t have a 4K monitor to test. All ports work for me, including pass-through power.
UTechSmart 6 in 1 USB C hub with HDMI, GbE, 3xUSB3.0, USB PD pass-through Amazon.com OxyMagnesium All ports work simultaneously on Windows 10. Driving a 1080p 75 Hz monitor with the HDMI port, using a 65 W Nekteck power adapter for pass-through. Ethernet port can sustain 1 Gb even with all other ports in use.
QGEEM 11 in 1 USB C Docking Station with Keyboard discontinued, try eBay Noah_Meeks Tested with Windows 11 and Nekteck Thunderbolt 3 cable. Keyboard, USB A, audio, HDMI, VGA all working - ethernet and SD card not tested, charges laptop when connected with Framework charger. Suports two monitors at once but only mirrored (shortcoming of the device)
Plugable Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C dual display dock tbt3-udz asonix Batch 2, Linux, elementary OS, hwe-20.04-edge (5.13 kernel), no drivers needed

Working:
  • HDMI out to two 4K monitors (30Hz each)
  • USB 3.0 5gbps ports
  • 1gbps ethernet port
  • charging over thunderbolt cable
  • front USB 3.0 10gbps
  • SD
  • microSD
  • audio jack
Not Tested:
  • displayport
Other notes:
  • Works from cold boot
  • Works with hot-plug
  • works in macOS as well
Plugable USB-C Mini Docking Station with 85W Power Delivery ud-cam plugable Ian_Faust 11th Gen Intel - All ports see to work as expected, though for some reason 3440x1440 60hz stops working after Intel Iris Xe driver 30.0.101.1631 (only goes up to 2560x1080)
Plugable USB-C Triple HDMI Display Docking Station UD-3900PDZ plugable @ Ian_Faust 11th Gen Intel - All ports seem to work as advertised, are able to run 3 displays (2560x1080 60hz, 1920x1080 60hz, 1920x1080 60hz) without any issues.
Plugable Thunderbolt 4 Dock TBT4-UD5 plugable Ruurd_Offringa 11th Gen Intel - Works well from the box. The only issue I have is that I do have to power up the dock shortly after the laptop or it will not recognise the laptop - could be an issue linked to lack of Thunderbolt certification for 11th Gen Intel boards.

Tested: 2x 1920x1080 HDMI screens, USB ports, thunderbolt charging

Not Tested: USB-C ports, card readers, sound, ethernet
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650 Amazon.com tokanada Issues fixed after BIOS update 3.07
i-tec CADUAL4KDOCKPD Amazon (currently unavailable) (3-year old dock) arif-ali Tested on Ubuntu 22.10 kernel 5.19.0-21-generic using the evdi 1.12.0 driver
i-tec C31DUALKVMDOCKPD i-tec p_e Test on Ubuntu 22.10 - 12th Gen
Tested :
  • built-in power delivery
  • 2 Displays
  • Audio
  • USB
  • Ethernet
DOCKCASE Visual Smart USB C Hub (6-in-1) B0BRRL9TL2 Amazon River Bellamy Tested on Framework 13 running 12 gen Intel, Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
  • HDMI 4k@60Hz
  • 100w PD
  • 3 x USB-A 5Gbps
  • USB-C 5Gbps
HP G5 120w USB-C 5TW10AA/5TW10UT/5TW10ET HP UK Site Benjamin_Fisher Seems to work perfectly, charges full speed, ethernet/displayport/hdmi all work ok
HP USB-C Dock G4 3FF69UT#ABA can be had for cheap used @felurx HDMI, USB, Ethernet, PD all work well. Didn’t try DP/multiple monitors. Tested on Manjaro Linux with AMD FW13, no drivers needed. Specs at HP All of the above also works for win11 (AMD FW13).
VisionTek VisionTek VT2000 USB-C Docking Station Amazon RakonT Works on Framework 13 AMD LinuxMint 21.2 edge
  • Triple Monitor on MST
  • No Drivers Needed
  • All ports functional
  • 85W Power Pass-thru with usb-c power
Known Issues:
  • When fractional scaling in use, monitors continuously flash after wakeup from sleep and requires reboot

Unsupported Docks

Dell WD19TB Amazon Alec_Jurisch / JP_Powers Can’t get to work with drivers and without. Does work as power delivery and USB Hub. / Confirmed, only draws power. Tested in Ubuntu 21.04 and Windows 10.
Kensington SD5700T Amazon JP_Powers Win 10 & Ubuntu 21.04: Power works, nothing else. Works very, very briefly before disconnecting. Spoke to Kensington support, they said since the laptop isn’t TB4 certified yet they can’t really help.
i-tec CADUAL4KDOCK Amazon.de rumlyne Power delivery does not work

Format Table

Inclusion in this table does not denote compatibility or lack thereof. Please do not edit this table unless contributing to the table format specification.

Name of the dock, such as how it appears in the product listing. For some listings, such as where the model number is part of the name, just listing the manufacturer is fine. If the dock has a model number (major brands do), include it here so it can be searched for on other sites. Provide links to vendors here. Please remove remove any tracking arguments from URLs first, such as the ones included with Amazon URLs. See ClearURLs for a plugin that does this for you. Tag users who contributed to testing if a device is compatible. Feel free to add yourself here if you have also tested this dock. List any relevant compatibility notes here, such as if an unsupported dock will be supported in the future or if a supported dock requires a certain OS or driver to function properly.
Dell WD19TB amazon.com,
newegg.com, microcenter.com Foxtrek_64 Sample Entry.

Tables generated by ASCII Table Generator – Quickly format ASCII table. Great for source code comments and markdown!

38 Likes

Added Lenovo 40AN0135US.

I’ll dig into the audio issue in the near future, but if anyone has any thoughts in the mean time they would be appreciated. Fortunately, the audio jack on the laptop is fully functional and, in my setup, accessible, so I’m using that for the time being.

Lenovo’s website only has drivers for Windows 10, but it could just be a matter of finding the right generic Thunderbolt Audio driver for Fedora and being done with it.

I’ll update the notes when I find a solution.

2 Likes

I have a Dell TB16 dock (which I hate) and will be testing it soon. I’ll report back. My memework laptop should be in next month.

2 Likes

Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock, Gen 2 (40AN0135US) Audio Issue

This guide is provided for those using this dock on Fedora 34. This may help people on other distros, but this fix has only been confirmed on Fedora 34.

In short: the firmware for the dock does not come pre-installed and must be installed manually. However, the firmware is only released as a public beta. I have performed the install of the firmware and have tested the device and found it to be functioning properly, so I will provide a guide here.

Sources:

To install the firmware, use fwupdmgr. Perform these operations as root or sudo.

1. fwupdmgr --version – Ensure fwupdmgr is installed. If it is not, use dnf install fwupd.
  2. fwupdmgr refresh --force – Get all latest packages. Install any now before continuing. Reboot if prompted.
  3. fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing --assume-yes – Opt into lvfs testing branch. This is required to download the firmware for Lenovo’s Thunderbolt dock.
  4. fwupdmgr refresh --force – Download latest update information.
  5. fwupdmgr get-updates – Preview which devices and firmware packages are in need of updating.
  6. fwupdmgr update – Perform the update. This will take a few minutes. Reboot once finished.

I do not have any headphones with a mic and a 3.5mm jack, so I cannot test the microphone feature. However, the headphone audio is working as expected.

3 Likes

I have tested the Dell TB16. All functions appear to work as long as the 4 drivers for the dock are installed from the Dell support website. The only issue is that the light on the dock connector cable does not light up when plugged into the USB-C port on the laptop. I am using sound, ethernet, USB keyboard, wireless mouse dongle, and dual monitors using DisplayPort and HDMI. The front USB ports work and can supply power to charge Bluetooth earbuds. I have been using it for a full day and have not run into any problems. I am using the beta version of Windows 11 on the laptop so I cannot say if it would behave differently with Windows 10 or any Linux variant. Windows drivers can be found at the following link:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/dell-thunderbolt-dock-tb16/drivers

1 Like

Follow up to the Dell TB16 dock. One problem was discovered. The dock will not charge the laptop if the laptop is powered on after it is connected to the dock. It will charge it after Windows loads and then it is connected to the dock.

@Kevin_Gilliatt Is this the Dell 3GMVT TB16 model? Just want to confirm I get the right model number.

On the bottom it says it is model number K16A. A Google search confirmed it is the Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16. It is old and not sold anymore.

I’ve been using my Framework at work running Fedora 34 with a Caldigit TS3 Plus. Everything seems to work, but I do have an issue where seemingly randomly when I wake the monitors from sleep they will have swapped display names in xrandr so all the windows have swapped screens and my monitor positioning is no longer correct.
I also haven’t tested the audio jack as I don’t have anything to plug into it, but I do see it show up as an audio device

When I get my DIY kit (Batch 3), I’ll be testing with the WD19TB, but in the meantime…

In the example table, for the model number column you said, “If the dock has a serial number (major brands do), include it here so it can be searched for on other sites.” Model numbers and serial numbers are very different things, and it might actually be a bad idea to share serial numbers. I’d rephrase it as, “If the dock has a model number (major brands usually list it on a sticker on back/bottom), include it here for easy searching” or something.

It’s not super common, but sometimes serial numbers can be used to scam people, inappropriately report an item as stolen, etc. Not related to docks, but Samsung is implementing a new feature where they can remotely disable their smart TV’s with just a serial number, which… could be a “fun new prank” for some folks. Mostly mentioning it just to avoid anyone accidentally posting a serial number when it’s unnecessary.

When my DIY batch 3 gets here, I’ll be using the Dell D6000 with DisplayLink. I have no reason to doubt that it will work due to the DisplayLink tech being solid. I’ve used it with Linux/Mac/Windows 10/11 flawlessly. Well, kinda… it killed the Mac to display 3 monitors but didn’t affect Linux or Win…

Belkin TB-3 Dock Pro Model F4U097 here - will report back but all indications w/current usage (win/linux/macos) are positive.

1 Like

@Reese_Borel I am using the D600, and have found that everything works as advertised with Windows running.

Edit - one weird glitch after I updated Windows. The battery doesn’t always display that it is charging when plugged into the dock, and I will get a low battery warning after a while. When I reboot, the battery immediately shows 100%.

2 Likes

Adding HP Elite 90W Thunderbolt 3 Dock (from work teehee). Tested on Windows 10.

This dock charges the PC as well.

There is an issue where it is not detected if plugged in when laptop is turned on. I need to restart if I forget to unplug. Might be a solution in the Thunderbolt software, but haven’t explored.

Those of you testing already - could you also test if it’s possible to wake up from sleep without having to open the lid? I always work in clamshell mode and to me being able to wake up from by pressing a button on the dock is essential.

My Dell TB16 for example comes with a power button and it’s able to wake up Dell laptops (yeah, Dell-Dell only I think, but well, it does work for my current situation).

BTW while the TB16 has been discontinued for a while it’s dirt cheap on eBay and they have lots.

To make things a bit harder on my case, I need a Dock and the mouse, keyboard and monitor are shared with another laptop using a KVM. This is likely to be a problem is wake up has to happen with a keypress for example (the KVM disconnects the device if it’s powered off, so now you can’t use the keyboard to power it on).

1 Like

@Carlos_Fernandez_San - welcome to the forum!

I asked a very similar question a couple of days ago - take a look and see if those replies are helpful.

1 Like

At work I have a WD19TB with a Dell Ultra Sharp 25". At home I have a LG Ultrafine Ergo that will serve as a display and hub where the Framework will charge and be used in “desk mode”. I don’t foresee any issues, but we’ll see how things go. I’ll make sure to report back my findings.

Added the smaller Aukey (7 in 1) worked well straight out of the box. (Will travel with it)
I also added the Blitzwolf monster dock (My main desk dock now) which took some time to get working. Turned out it worked fine once I bought a ($$$) thunderbolt 3 certified cable. USBC cables (even PD 3, 100W cables) wouldnt work.

I connected both USB-C out (Which you HAVE to do to get multiple monitors per the documentation) initially to test but, I am only using 1 monitor so I just left “USB C 2” connected and everything else works.

I have a Dell WD19TB that I have done some preliminary testing with my DIY Batch 2 laptop and I have had no luck getting the dock to recognize in Windows. I so far have only tested with one of the USB-C ports on the laptop and installed the drivers for the WD19TB dock. I do get a slow charger message in windows to show that the dock is powering the laptop just not at full speed.

I have a Dell Dock WD15 that I tested with my i7-1165G7 laptop on Manjaro.
Product name: Dell Dock WD15
Model: WD15
Vendor: amazon.ca
Notes:
Everything worked out of the box, without having to install additional drivers on Manjaro.

• I could not test if the Gigabit RJ45 port works or not, since my setup is in a room where I don’t have such a port. However, when using lsusb, it is listed as a few different devices, including Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (and it is the only device with ethernet connected to the laptop, so there shouldn’t be any mistakes on that).
  • I tested both HDMI and VGA display ports and they work as expected (although, on manjaro, we need to explicitly ask the OS to display something on them using arandr), but I don’t see why the mini DisplayPort port shouldn’t work, since both the HDMI and VGA are translated from a DisplayPort signal.
  • All the USB ports are working as advertised (Both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports).
  • Both audio jack ports work as well and are detected by the OS.
  • None of the two indicator LEDs are lighting up (the one in the front of the device, and the one on the cable).
  • The laptop charges from the dock normally, and it is advertised as capable of 60W charging for the laptop. In my testing, the dock exceeds even slightly the charger in some cases. Here was my methodology. I used the /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/voltage_now and /sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/current_now to calculate the power going to/from the battery. I had a test under a light load with a few softwares running in the background (a few terminals, 2 firefox-based browsers with 20+ tabs open on each, discord, and vscode) consuming 12W from the battery, as well as an other heavier test where I also ran glxspheres64 -n 5000 which caped the power consumption at 30W on the battery. Both tests were ran at a battery level of 70%, brightness at 100%. The FW charger was providing 38W to the battery under the light load, and 12W under the heavier load. The WD15 dock was providing 40W to the battery under light load, and 12W under the heavier load.