Video editing with Framework 12th Gen

Hi,
I’m a video editor who’s currently a mac user since 2009 and i’m getting so fedup with non-upgradeable storage,RAM and even battery with my current Macbook Pro 2017. Long story short I’m looking for an alternative to the mac that does everything I want it to do, save money and lets me upgrade storage, RAM and replace the battery myself.

I’ve seen Framework has released new laptops with 12th gen Intel CPU,s and was wondering if anyone here has managed to edit 4K video in Premiere Pro or Davinci Resolve without any issues or slowdowns? How fast does it encode videos in handbrake.

I’m also wondering what geekbench scores look like for the Core i5 1240p and Core i7 1260p CPUs used in these laptops? Can anyone help me make a buying decision for my next laptop as I find the PC laptop world rather confusing compared to the mac world? Thanks

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don’t think the Gen12 are in circulation yet :slight_smile:

First batch are due in July

1 Like

It’s just that now you have more choices. Instead of being tied to whatever Apple give you, you can now decide which processor, graphics, etc.

The framework have (roughly) 28W of (continuous) cooling power, so it might vary.
But in geekbench 5 the i7-1260P scored 1635 and 8078, single and multi core respectively.
Some other devices (some early samsung) reports higher scores of 1721 and 9697
i7-1260p
i5-1240p

Put alongside … what macbook do you have? M1? Intel … ?
I think if it is a Intel platform the Framework will definitely be faster. The M1 is quite a interesting chip, and probably beats the 1260 in some ways but I think 1260 with the raw power (of 28W) should handle better.

At the very least, this laptop won’t just sit there and let the CPU go to 100 degrees.

Ok here’s the spec of my current macbook pro 15in 2017:
Core i7 2.9Ghz (7th gen) processor
16GB RAM (maximum supported RAM and I require more.Soldered in and not upgradable)
1TB SSD (soldered in and not upgradeable)
Radeon 560 Pro GPU
4 USBc/TB3 ports
Retina display with P3
Touchbar (which i loathe as it often freezes and has no ESC key).

Does anyone know how the iGPU performs on these laptops as theres no dedicated GPU and I wonder if this will keep up in Davinci resolve or Premiere Pro?

I do wonder if intels latest Xe graphics chip will be enough or if I need to invest in an eGPU (something else that macs don’t support anymore thanks to Apple’s M1 chip)?

The Framework Laptop (with 12th gen Intel Processor) as mentioned isn’t something you can get your hands on yet. The 11th gen variant has a few on-going issues, at least waiting to be ironed out (optimistically), or can’t be fixed (pessimistically). It’s not clear what the user experience will be like for the 12th gen mainboard…as such, there’s no end-user data to support a recommendation, nor deny it from one. It would be premature to buy one for work (I assume “video editor” is work).

Hello, I’ve moved from a 2015 MBP to a 11th gen i5, and have done basic editing in Kdenlive and OBS without any issues. In some cases, 4k editing does get the fans to spin substantially, but it is fine for me as it is occasional in my use-case.

1 Like

Way to poo poo the parade.

For the record, I have 2 framework laptops (batch 1 and batch 5) and both of them are 100% usable. None of the issues highlighted prevent me from using the laptop and finding it to be one of the best I’ve ever purchased. Admittedly, I put a lot of emphasis on reparability and modularity. But such are things when dealing with such a subjective topic and are unavoidable.

To the OP, your specs are only special because of the dedicated GPU in your system. The CPU in the 11th and 12th is considerably faster and more power efficient. The Framework laptop can handle up to 64gb of RAM, which is important. The Intel graphics are greatly improved from previous generations, and might be capable enough to do what you need. However if they are not, you can use an eGPU with a full up desktop GPU to augment your system with any 1 of the 4 thunderbolt 4 ports.

The advantages of going that way is that you keep the most important element to your workflow separate. You can upgrade the card in the enclosure whenever you want, etc. I believe the 3070 is the highest you can go before the overhead of the interface nullifies any performance gains. However a 3070 can handle pretty much everything as is.

However, just note that Windows handles eGPU significantly better than Linux, but Linux can work with it, if you are willing to tinker.

5 Likes

As opposed to what…? Not say a thing…?

The 11th gen board experience / issues either matter…or they don’t, in relation to the 12th gen board. If they don’t matter, you can completely ignore current issues…and then there’s nothing to recommend the new board on. If it does matter, then full knowledge / research (from forum posts) would be wise. (e.g. you included your experience as data points)

1 Like

Please don’t misunderstand and know that I agree with you to a certain extent. However, there is no way anyone visiting this forum will not be made aware of such things if they search.

And while it is important to highlight problems, it is also important to gauge the severity of said problems by providing counter points. The fact that the entire forum is not overrun with such complaints would seem to indicate that. My own experiences as well.

This is what I find important. Framework is not perfect, but as of right now, they are the best company there is at bringing us a laptop not designed to be thrown away.

4 Likes

Severity of the problems can’t be countered… Severity of problems is not on a scale to be balanced. “Severity” of any problem is to be gauged by the likelihood of occurrence, applicability of the issue in its environment (used by the end-user)…etc. It’s for the users to gauge for themselves. The ‘counter points’ does not change the severity of problems, but affects the overall experience one can expect from a product (in this case). As such, there’s no ‘counter points’, but use cases / benefits.

As some said, let’s not assume.

For example, base on this, I won’t say the OP is aware of everything we are / are not aware of:
“released new laptops with 12th gen Intel CPU,s and was wondering if anyone here has managed to edit 4K video in Premiere Pro or Davinci Resolve without any issues or slowdowns?”

How pessimistic. The 12th gen is shipping in a few months, the 11th gen is going to work (especially with Windows), even if there is some small “issues” (e.g., some batches have some “bad” charging circuit because of chip shortage, some have a different audio chip) but it’s not going to prevent you from being able to work on the laptop normally.
There are “issues” with external display “cards” but it might also be issues with linux, and you can always just get a USB-C dongle (instead of the card)

I think worst case the 12th gen is going to perform equal (to the macbook) in tems of CPU and GPU is 20% slower. Best case, the CPU is 30% faster and the GPU is equal.
The integrated graphics had such a leap going fron 7th gen. 10th gen is already a visible step forward (64EU pre-Xe cores), and 11th officially brings 96 EU to the table. Computing performance, too.
However it is not known how good your GPU (Radeon 560 PRO) is. If it is slightly faster than GTX 960M and slower than a GTX 965M, then maybe it’s a tie.
However the above is all based on the assumption that both device can cool their internals properly. The framework can (for the most part; max turbo clock is unsustainable, but the chip will not do that anyway), but I don’t know about Macbooks. They have a tendency to let the CPU (and GPU) go to 100 degrees and thermal throttle.

You can still attach eGPU, if you have one, to boost your graphics performance. Keep in mind that the setup have a fairly substantial initial cost (of $150 for the enclosure and/or other bits) and the cards, while the price are dropping, is still on the expensive side.

And if 16GB of memory is not enough (remember to restart your computer from time to time), you will certainly want 32GB, or more, especially since the internal graphics don’t have much dedicated video memory.

1 Like

Just going to drop this here for m1 vs x86 (11th gen):

Looking forward to m2 vs 12th gen.

1 Like

well, as mentioned, he is not switching from M1 (but from a old intel mac), and he is looking for modularity and repairability (which the Macs just don’t offer)
12th gen still hold some ground against the M1, but having memory right next to the chip (as well as the tight integration of everything) give M1 some advantage. A bit more so with M2.

Soldered storage though, big nono. “Security”, but once your laptop dies your data is stuck inside.

1 Like

It would be wise to at least have awareness of what x dollars can / cannot get you, technologically, before ruling out options without that awareness.

At the very least, compare the user experience other video editors may have.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the informative replies to my post as I had no idea that framework uses different companies for producing sound chips (or onboard DACs) which could affect sound quality when editing sound on a video editors timeline.

I can see I’ll have to invest in an external DAC (uses one of the USBC ports) in future as well.

I also didn’t realise that Intels iGPU has progressed so much since the 7th gen was released (Kabylake) in 2017, in terms of video editing performance.

I’ll wait for the reviews and benchmarks of the 12th gen (Alderlake) framework laptops before I commit to buying one.

I hope things don’t throttle with the framework as I need as much performance as I can get when editing multicam 4K clips or even multiple 4K clips on the timeline.

By comparison my current 2017 MBP can edit 4 4K 60FPS clips into a single multi clip file which is pushing it for this system or when editing multiple 4k clips at the same time.

Reasons I want to get the framework:

1. Supports more ram than current intel mac
  2. Supports more storage
  3. Everything’s upgradable unlike a mac which has everything soldered on.
  4. Good keyboard with no Touch Bar which freezes regularly for me.
  5. Better value for money. Never again will I pay £2344 for another mac like I did for this one.
2 Likes

no the framework (at least the current gen) is able to hold at a reasonable temperature (i think 70 degrees under load). Similar figured for the 12th gen too. For a single-fan laptop this is quite good.

Yes, the M1 is faster. They are also, in fact, properly cooled (unlike the Intel Macs, which may lead you to think funny things)

But also, 11th gen isn’t really “good”, in terms of GPU, yes, it have the Xe. But the CPU have not really changed. It’s also 14nm (and maybe 10nm) and it’s no surprise that the 5nm M1 (especially with its unified architecture) is going to be able to slap it left right and center.

If you are looking into a (actual) mobile workstation to do heavy working on, though, I think you might be better off looking at products from other companies (e.g. dell, hp, asus) as they have models with discrete graphics (as well as more powerful components), which might be able to help. They also have modular memory and storage, although they are not as devoted to repair-friendliness and support as the framework. If you just want a (decently powerful) ultrabook with amazing repairability and support, Framework is for you.

1 Like

Mobile workstation is the way to go, IMO… Especially if it’s work related, has colour reproduction accuracy (dE) needs (beyond just the sRGB space), requires high performance encoding support / dGPU (e.g. h265)…with high throughput, and hardware expansion capabilities (e.g. THICK ones can go up to 4 DIMMS, with 3 m.2 NVMe slots…beyond thin&light category).

There’s also a question of how much processing capability you need on-the-go / built-in, and how much you can externalise (eGPU to distributed to desktops/network)…

For example, a low end mobile workstation, with i7-1280p, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, nVidia T550 4GB, and WQUXGA HDR 400 500nits display is $2232 CAD:

Or something beefier (just a tad over 2,344 quid):

(Personally, waiting for P16 to go on sale)

I’ve had a think about it and I do think framework laptops can work for me due to budget, weight and performance considerations.

My plan might be to go down the framework DIY kit route, so I can buy a faster CPU and iGPU and spend less on RAM/storage from other shops so I’ll get the kind of spec I’m looking for, but pay less for it.

Has anyone here brought any model as a DIY kit and what was the experience like from building it to installing windows 11?

If you’re not in a rush, wait for the 12th gen reviews (i.e. 2nd gen Framework)…Should be shipping in July.

As for Windows 11, the driver bundle from Framework is not 'final release"…it’s still Alpha.

1 Like

Hi welcome,
Framework 12th gen will start delivering in July.
You need to look at review of other laptops with a 30W TDP cooling.
You are lucky since most reviews now include the Cinebench test on video editing…since the only advantage of new intel iteration is multi threading workload. Single CPU performence is the same as previous.
From what I have read the 12th gen peforms very good on video editing. It all depend on the power and cooling of the CPU. Some use 15W-20W. framework uses 30W.

Now all the review point out that 12th gen is more power hungry…and framework didn t increase the battery size(no space because of modularity).

As discussed here, i7 seems to be 10% faster than i5 … Batch 2 - Intel 12th - Guild - #4 by Iann_C

The video on the razer is interesting except it depends on the TDP set in the windows CPU profile it may vary from One to two speed :

bottom line: I d say take the i5 you should get the comparable result with latest Mac…with futur upgradability, but weaker battery life than current M1 mac.

2 Likes