Want Framework, buying ThinkPad instead šŸ™

Have been meaning to buy a Framework for some time now. But when it came to it, it would have to be a ThinkPad P14s Gen 5 Intel at this time for the following reasons. I hope the product can evolve to cater to some of these aspects. These are not in any particular order of importance.

1. No Kensington lock port. Iā€™ve raised this in the forum before - and itā€™s not about data loss/theft, but about the disruption to work/life for those few days/weeks. And I know itā€™s only a useless deterrent for a committed thief, but it deters the opportunistic ones which is almost always the case.

2. No Home/End keys. (See several threads on this linked to in a reply.)

3. Sizes of arrow keys.

4. Numerous reports of sporadic keys/USB not working, etc which needs reseating of components. Saw this with a fellow co-worker the other day. I think the team need to rethink the connectors. (I wonder how many times has this occurred in the real world and not written about here in this forum!)

5.a. Screen real estate vs dot pitch. The FW 13.5" with the 2256*1504px screen comes in at 0.1265mm dot pitch. The ThinkPad I have in mind has a 14.5" with 2560*1600px coming in at 0.122mm dot pitch. So, these are comparable but the TP will have more real estate.

5.b. The FW 13.5" with 2880*1920px comes in at 0.0991mm dot pitch - making the objects/font size too miniscule. If I were to apply 2x zoom to it, that would reduce the effective vertical resolution to 960px, which isnā€™t enough real estate for my use. FHD TPs have 1200px vertical (alternate screen, wonā€™t need scaling).

1. The TP has a built-in Ethernet port. Good to have - not a deal breaker. With the FW, it would be sticking out when needed.

(The 14.5" TP with 2560*1600px is an Intel-only variant, otherwise am a die-hard AMD fan.)

And yes, I have considered Framework 16 too but itā€™s too big and bulky for me at this time.

While am at it, I wanted a Framework for its ability to hot-swap ports and plug whatever on either side. Not for most other reasons, tbh. TP Gen 5s have two USB C on one side, and one of them will be taken up just for charging. They removed the dedicated power port.

3 Likes

Itā€™s not for you. Move on.

9 Likes

Different things will be important to different folks. The FW machines arenā€™t going to work for everyone. Itā€™s interesting to hear the reasons why. Maybe FW will take those things into consideration moving forward.

As for reports of issues with Keys and USB stuff, I canā€™t say how well FW fairs against other brands, statistically, when it comes to issues like that. But at my company, we use Dell and the number of random computer hardware and software issues is staggering. Intermittent or entirely dead keyboards, bluescreen issues, touchscreen issues, driver issues, dead drives, dead docks, USB port issues, etc., etc. It probably seems worse because Iā€™m in a position to hear about many of the issues. But I just know that random hardware issues arenā€™t exclusive to Framework.

This forum ends up being a bit of a gathering place for people looking for help with issues. Iā€™m sure you are correct that there are a lot of people out there with issues who donā€™t report it here. But Iā€™m also confident there are also people with no issues that never report in here to say they have no issues. Anecdotally, I have two FW 13 laptops. An early batch, 11th gen. I also have a batch 8 AMD. No problems with either oneā€¦so far.

I also have a Thinkpad just a little older than my 11th gen FW 13. As of a year ago, the batteries (there are actually two, one built-in and one hot-swappable) are both dead and will no longer charge. The laptop works when connected to power, but the batteries both show errors and wonā€™t charge. The only replacements available are expensive, generic options with mixed reviews.

Obviously, that doesnā€™t mean a FW machine will work for you. Everyone has different needs and wants. Just thought Iā€™d add my $0.02

3 Likes

I like the new thinkpad except for the intel part. Intel is trash. But anyways the framework is just a different product. I love being able to upgrade mine and take it apart easily. Thinkpads are nice (I use one for work) but it just isnā€™t a framework.

I agree the Framework isnā€™t for everyone, but if there were nits to pick these are pretty small nits IMO.

fair

FN+Up/Down; youā€™ll get used to it.

Iā€™m not sure what the complaint is here when comparing to Thinkpads; they have small arrow keys here.

I personally havenā€™t had a problem with anything USB not working, and in fact for Thunderbolt stuff specifically Iā€™ve had zero problems whereas other laptops and mini pcā€™s, especially AMD ones, have various issues.

If you had a blind test where the screen was masked off so you couldnā€™t figure out what the screen ratio is, I highly doubt youā€™d be able to tell the difference.

Youā€™re comparing apples and oranges here; you use the 2560x1600 thinkpad screen for the previous comparison but the 1920x1200 screen for this comparison. Which one do you actually want? You canā€™t have both on the ThinkPad, but you could in theory buy both for the framework and swap them out.

Sounds like you just want a 16:10 screen rather than 3:2, which is fine, but just say that.

Iā€™ve found that having an ethernet port isnā€™t very useful anymore really; like you said itā€™s nice to have but not really practical anymore. If youā€™re going somewhere you normally wouldnā€™t use your computer, youā€™re likely going to be using wifi even if it is an office building. If youā€™re in a place where youā€™re normally using your laptop, youā€™re going to quickly want a thunderbolt or usb-c dock, which is going to have an ethernet port.

Like others have said, the Framework isnā€™t for everyone. I buy them because I know that if something breaks Iā€™m going to be able to get replacement parts quickly and cheaply, even if the whole machine costs more. Additionally, I can upgrade parts as I want without having to buy a whole new computer.

For instance, Iā€™ve upgraded from 12th Gen Intel to 13th Gen to the AMD series and soon to have an Intel Core Ultra motherboard. Iā€™ve recently replaced my keyboard(s) with the newly released ā€œInternational Linuxā€ keyboards which remove the windows logo. Iā€™ve upgraded the original hinges from 3kg to 3.5kg. Iā€™m about to get a few of the new screens in to replace the matte screens which replaced the glossy screens and Iā€™m probably going to finally upgrade my 55wh batters to the 61wh variants. Each one of those steps would have been a whole new computer with any other brand.

Anyway, good luck on your ThinkPad adventures. When it breaks, weā€™ll be here waiting for you.

5 Likes

Thanks for your detailed answer. I agree with all your points - and itā€™s the sum of these thatā€™s swayed my choice this time. And yes, I just have to let Lenovo let me down one more time (they have in the past) and Iā€™ll be back!

For clarity, on the use of Fn for Home and End keys, I use them in a sequence already and depressing another key is impractical. Iā€™ve attached a list of threads by other people whoā€™d like to see these dedicated keys too.

The Up and Down arrow keys are smaller than the Left and Right keys. On TPs, they are similarly sized and larger - easily depressible by my fingers anyway. Some of the threads Iā€™ve linked to below also talk about that.

I witnessed the USB and keyboard woes myself, and there are too many threads here reporting on that too. A random example is this one. Iā€™m gathering a pattern here which is if the FW laptop is taken out and about town, these things happen. If itā€™s left on a desk, then itā€™s fairly stable.

The 1200px vertical was an alternate example where scaling wouldnā€™t have to be used. The reason why such a large resolution (1920px vertical) in the new FW13 screen made certain Linux users happy was that a flat 2x zoom could be applied. And I donā€™t necessarily care about the aspect ratio, but do care about being able to read and still have sufficient real estate (pixels) to do all my work. The FW16 has it well balanced though!

My use of an Ethernet port is that I do deal with a lot of networking equipment and sometimes need dual routes out of the machine (one going to management of the router, for example.) Again, I can easily live without a fully flush port but itā€™s an interesting observation to make that even FW16 couldnā€™t squeeze one in.

Home & End key discussions:

I guess Iā€™ve gotten used to using fn + up/down/left/right for page up/down and home/end as thatā€™s the way a lot of laptops do it. That said, thereā€™s only so much room for the keyboard on the 13 inch, and without a weird notch on the right side like on the thinkpads, or even worse a shortened shift key to make room for a full size up arrow, itā€™s just not going to fit. For the 16 inch, there is the option of reprogramming the macropad to do whatever you want, and technically the numpad would solve the dedicated arrow and page up/down key problem.

Iā€™m certain that other manufacturers also have a certain frequency of failures, you just never really hear about them becuase they donā€™t have vocal communities like Framework does. The good thing about framework is that if you do have keyboard issues, if itā€™s under warranty then Framework will just ship you a new keyboard without you having to send your machine in for repairs. Or, if itā€™s not under warranty, you can just buy a new keyboard for relatively cheap without having to resort to eBay.

Well, Iā€™m a Linux user and personally the 2256x1504 screen is/was the perfect resolution. I run them without scaling and itā€™s perfect. The only reason why I ordered the new displays is the 120hz screens, and Iā€™ll probably end up running them at 125% or maybe 150% since Iā€™ll already be scaling now. Would be nice if they made 120Hz screens at the original resolution. Iā€™m not a fan of the rounded corners, either, but realistically I use GNOME so Iā€™m not going to be missing anything.

The framework 16 couldnā€™t ā€œsqueeze one inā€ for the same reason why they didnā€™t squeeze in the headphone port ā€“ they gave you 6 ports that you can do whatever you want with, including adding those headphone or ethernet ports in. If you look at many other laptops today, I doubt you have more than 6 ports in total, and therefore something missing by default on the Framework is kind of a moot point.

The way the ethernet port sticks out though could be better though as you mentioned. Iā€™d be happy to have one of those flip-open ports you find on other thin and light laptops with ethernet ports.

Why can I only ā€œheartā€ this one time? Gah!