Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Heyho!

My name is Phillip, I’m a small business owner.
As I need a Laptop for my business I was looking for “the perfect one”. :slight_smile:

And where did I end? Framework! :smiley:

Currently I am reading a lot about FW 13 which I will soon buy.

Regards,
Phillip :wave:

1 Like

So, I received my Framework 16. Assembled it. No screen. Searched around a bit and someone suggested reseating the memory which I did and then it worked. Installed BlueFin.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Glad to see you are up and running :slight_smile:

All the best.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Phillip!

Welcome Charlie_Volpe, M_Atharv, Luuxid, Cossidhon, rlkoshak, cbuk, Seesi to the forum and I hope I didn’t miss anyone! :rofl: I’ve been loving it here. Ton of great people helping and sharing experiences and one of the most active forums around a piece of hardware that I own that I’ve been a part of and it’s super enjoyable! Honestly, this is the best laptop I’ve ever owned and I’ve had quite a few of them over the years. It’s not without it’s quarks, but every laptop has them and thankfully the quarks with this laptop are mostly lovable to me which makes it that much better! :clap:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Dan and ordered my Framework 13 a month ago. I put it together and installed the latest version of Ubuntu (24.01.1 now) and I’m so much happier than with my previous Dell XPS 13 (also running Ubuntu). Almost everything (except the poor webcam, see my post) works much better on this machine: fingerprint reader, battery life, ergonomics also nicer (e.g., easier to work with for longer periods). I’m also truly happy to have a machine I can repair myself. Keep up the great work Framework folks!

One final question: I think my previous post was in the wrong spot…might need to post in the Support forum? I was corresponding with Support until the end of last week after which they went silent for some reason, but am guessing the Community might be a great place to get ideas, answers, solutions in general.

2 Likes

Hi Folks - new user here - Framework 13. Mixed feelings so far. Xubuntu 24.04 failed - bluetooth incompatibility. Xubuntu 22.04 works with issues. SCP and SSH freezes intermittently. Have worked with dozens of Linux machines, thousands of VMs - never saw such flaky network behavior. Disappointing. I expect these problems can be resolved but disappointing to have to waste time debugging core network issues. I like the Framework concept, but so far the hands-on experience isn’t great.

Thank you. Glad to be here.

Hi and welcome.

can you try a Ubuntu 24.04 on a USB that seems fine and is a supported distro as id Fedora

1 Like

@amoun - hi and thanks for the suggestion. re: ubuntu 24.04 - too late for experimenting - I’ve fallen back to Xubuntu 22.04, using it for daily work and fixing the glitches as I go. I’ll upgrade to 24.04 in a couple years. I suppose Framework doesn’t have a lot of resources to vet operating systems, but IMO it would likely be a good use of time to put a few Ubuntu variants (Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc.) in a regression test cycle. I believe Framewould learn a lot, resulting in better products. (eg good documentation or maybe a lightweight omakub-style configurator) As a customer of this expensive laptop, I can tell you I’m not wild about being the Guinea Pig, and none of my lessons learned will contribute to improving the Framework product. Finally FYI I’m invested in XFCE tooling and can’t use the generic Ubuntu desktop. :wink:

1 Like

Hello, I am Alex. I have 20+ years in as a system admin. I have a long history with messing with stuff I barely understand and have been blessed to do that for a living. I have been waiting on a Framework with a touch screen but I am not sure that is in the pipeline.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Dan! Please send me or any of our community moderators a DM if you have questions about the categories :slight_smile:

Welcome to the community Andy, sorry to hear that your experience hasn’t been great so far, please create topics under Framework Laptop 13 - Linux subcategory and people might be able to assist you.

Welcome to the community Alex!!

Hello, I am masters computer engineer and a software engineer. I am looking into getting a framework laptop :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello,
I’m Chris Spooner, a technology teacher in New Hampshire, USA I have been teaching for 17 years, have a Master’s in IT, and am now working on my Ed. D., specifically looking at the gender gap in computer science education. I have been following Framework since the initial announcements.

I just purchased my first Framework, a factory second 13, for my FIRST Robotics team (Team 1247 Blood, Sweat, and Gears), and have been very happy so far. I am now looking at a Framework 16 to replace my aging Dell XPS.

1 Like

Welcome! Get yourself a Framework 16! I upgraded from a Razerblade Pro 17 and I absolutely love it! :pray: I’ve never used the Framework 13 but I know a lot of the issues with the Framework 13 have been resolved with the Framework 16 and you get 2 extra expansion ports, bigger screen and a dedicated USB-C from the dGPU on the back if you spec it with a dGPU. :+1: I honestly can’t get enough of this unit! :clap:

1 Like

Hi All, I have just had a frightening thought as I write this: as a social scientist I have been a computer user on a daily basis (statistical analysis, GIS, etc.) for over half a century. Although not a computer scientist, software developer or whatever, I have done a fair bit of programming over the years (initially in Fortran, then BBC Basic / 6502 Assembley Language in the 1980s, and finally Python for the past 20 years). However, the widespread availability of open source applications software has largely negated the need for me to write my own, so I am now more than a little rusty. My current laptop is a Dell Vostro 1310 which I bought in 2009. It owes me nothing, but it is noticeably beginning to struggle, so after following the Framework project for the past few years I have decided to take the plunge and have ordered a FW13 Ryzen 7040 with a 2.8K display. I was tempted to go top of the range, but I suspect this should more than meet my needs. My preferred OS for the past 10 years has been Linux Mint, but if that proves problematic I may switch to Ubuntu with a Cinnamon desktop to get the support.

1 Like

Hi and welcome, that alone is an impressive past. BBC basic in the 80’s says quite a bit.

All the best and where to you throw down that Guinness

welcome to the community!!