Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

I am working for an Enterprise Open Source company for 10 years now but I have worked in the industry all my life. To guess my age: My first home computer was the Sinclar ZX81 with 1K of memory and my first “serious” computer system was the VAX 11/750. Yep… that old. I used to run Fedora on a Lenovo laptop but recently I tried a MacBook. This was because of the M series processors and I just was curious. Through a colleague I was introduced to Framework and immediately fell for the concept. And I can go back to my beloved Fedora eco system once my Framework 16 arrives. Off course as a DIY package :wink:

1 Like

Welcome to the community Atharv !!

Welcome to the community forums :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the community, please tell us more about your Fedora experience on your Framework Laptop 16 in the future :slight_smile:

Wow! that’s a few years ago.

I was maybe a bit later on the scene than you with teenage kids when I got my Spectrum with 48K memory. Simple days for computing seem well gone :frowning:

and welcome to the forum

:rainbow_flag:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you and I will

I’ve had my Framework 16 for a couple weeks now and I’m pretty happy.

I’ve a developer background but mainly do security engineering professionally these days. At home I run a homelab and do 3D printing and dabble in other stuff that can benefit from a discrete GPU and I tend to keep my machines for a very long time.

I hate to have to upgrade because I broke a hinge or a fan threw a barring or something like that so I’m exceited about the Framework 16’s repairability and upgradability.

I initially wanted to install Ubuntu Budgie but after the first reboot after that initial installation it would boot to a black screen so I switched to stock Ubuntu and all seems to work just fine. Someday I may go back and see what went wrong with Budgie. But dispite this hickup I’m very pleased with the easy of assembling the machine and how everything seems to work out-of-the-box.

Being able to use the finger print reader to authenticate sudo makes me happy every time. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your feedback and welcome to the community!

Hi everyone. New to the forum here and I’d just like to introduce myself.

Everyone knows me as CB and I’m from England. Hailing from just south of an area known as the “Black Country,” which was the melting pot for some of rock music’s greatest 60’s and 70’s bands.

I’ve used computers in some guise or form ever since graduating from college in the early 80’s. I consider myself a “Linux enthusiast” and use it on all of my computers here at home, but I’m not averse to firing up a Windows virtual machine if that’s my best solution to helping someone with a problem. I’ve worked as a systems engineer amongst other things and I hope that the experience might also enable me to help others here.

I’m in the market for a new laptop and learned about Framework as a company via a news site called The Register. I hope to place an order quite soon once I’ve set my mind at rest about a number of issues relating to laptop specifics and aspects of the ordering process: this isn’t the post (or the correct topic) for that so do please expect to hear again from me soon !

3 Likes

welcome to the community cbuk!

Heyho!

My name is Phillip, I’m a small business owner.
As I need a Laptop for my business I was looking for “the perfect one”. :slight_smile:

And where did I end? Framework! :smiley:

Currently I am reading a lot about FW 13 which I will soon buy.

Regards,
Phillip :wave:

1 Like

So, I received my Framework 16. Assembled it. No screen. Searched around a bit and someone suggested reseating the memory which I did and then it worked. Installed BlueFin.

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Glad to see you are up and running :slight_smile:

All the best.

1 Like

Welcome to the community Phillip!

Welcome Charlie_Volpe, M_Atharv, Luuxid, Cossidhon, rlkoshak, cbuk, Seesi to the forum and I hope I didn’t miss anyone! :rofl: I’ve been loving it here. Ton of great people helping and sharing experiences and one of the most active forums around a piece of hardware that I own that I’ve been a part of and it’s super enjoyable! Honestly, this is the best laptop I’ve ever owned and I’ve had quite a few of them over the years. It’s not without it’s quarks, but every laptop has them and thankfully the quarks with this laptop are mostly lovable to me which makes it that much better! :clap:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Dan and ordered my Framework 13 a month ago. I put it together and installed the latest version of Ubuntu (24.01.1 now) and I’m so much happier than with my previous Dell XPS 13 (also running Ubuntu). Almost everything (except the poor webcam, see my post) works much better on this machine: fingerprint reader, battery life, ergonomics also nicer (e.g., easier to work with for longer periods). I’m also truly happy to have a machine I can repair myself. Keep up the great work Framework folks!

One final question: I think my previous post was in the wrong spot…might need to post in the Support forum? I was corresponding with Support until the end of last week after which they went silent for some reason, but am guessing the Community might be a great place to get ideas, answers, solutions in general.

2 Likes

Hi Folks - new user here - Framework 13. Mixed feelings so far. Xubuntu 24.04 failed - bluetooth incompatibility. Xubuntu 22.04 works with issues. SCP and SSH freezes intermittently. Have worked with dozens of Linux machines, thousands of VMs - never saw such flaky network behavior. Disappointing. I expect these problems can be resolved but disappointing to have to waste time debugging core network issues. I like the Framework concept, but so far the hands-on experience isn’t great.

Thank you. Glad to be here.

Hi and welcome.

can you try a Ubuntu 24.04 on a USB that seems fine and is a supported distro as id Fedora

1 Like