Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Hi, all! I’m Greg, I’m 29 and I’m from Dublin, Ireland. I’ve been meaning to get a new laptop for a good number of years now to replace my painfully slow HP that’s been sitting in the corner of my room for about four or five years. I stumbled across Framework after seeing skins on dbrand’s site. After recommendations from my brother, I pulled the trigger on a 13. Looking forward to getting it as a Christmas present to myself. It’ll be so nice to have a daily laptop again that’s both modular and futureproof, and I’m elated I found out about Framework. It’s great to be a part of the community.

EDIT: Specs of my build if anyone’s interested:

• Framework 13 (Batch 8)
• AMD Ryzen 5 7640U
• WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe - Battlefield 2042 Limited Edition - 1TB
• DDR5-5600 RAM (16GB; 2 x 8GB)
• 2 x USB-C Expansion Cards
• 1 x USB-A Expansion Card
• 1 x MicroSD Expansion Card
• Windows 11 Professional (Planned)
• Black Bezel
• British English Keyboard

7 Likes

Hi all! :smiley:
I’m Alex and I’m a software engineer from the UK.

A couple of days ago I pre-ordered my first framework laptop that’s unfortunately in batch 13 :frowning:

6 Likes

Welcome! It sounds like you must have ordered a 16". Congrats. Hopefully the wait isn’t too bad.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone! New here (no, really!)
Usually writing SW for devices big and small. Also - repairing the 80’ oldies, mostly ZX-es.
Cycling daily, sometimes paragliding. Too much of a doormat to refuse helping people living for 12 years in tents in Idlib province.
Recently in need of a new laptop; Louis Rossmann and LTT are your best ambassadors. Queueing for the batch 8 of AMD Ryzen 5 version; 13-inch, with 1x32GB RAM, 4TB NM790, a couple of expansion cards (USB-C, USB-A, DP, HDMI, ETH), British-English KBD, and a red bezel for some reason. Zeus 270W for the power supply. Planning to run either Void or Devuan on it.

EDIT: cleanup after a firefox crash…

4 Likes

Howdy, Flow here.
Dad, nerd, 40-something, audio and video creator, mountain biker, snowboarder, product owner for a software company.
Bought the Framework 13 AMD DIY edition because I believe in the company’s mission for reuse and I like to tinker with stuff.
Getting the laptop running was easy as pie.
Now if only Ubuntu would behave better…

4 Likes

Michael_M,

Almost, well, not really, retired. From a varied existence in Historic restoration and project management, Cabinet and furniture making and sometimes machinist. Definitely a retired C-boater (new knees, lol.) Hiding in plain sight in the WV mountains.

Been fooling with PC’s since 386 towers. Serendipity led me to Framework a few days ago as I began searching for an heir to my aging 13" Dell 2in1. That machine has proved capable, and modestly repair/upgrade-able. Was somewhat surprised to find how far accessibility to, at least, memory, batteries and storage has faded from main-stream offerings in the past 8-10 years.

I’m all in. DIY 13 arriving tomorrow.

Best,

MM

4 Likes

Hello Everyone!
I’m Ryan. I’m a chef in socal and I’ve been building computers since I was a child.
I currently have a batch 5 11th Gen and while I’m waiting for my amd to come I figured I should join the forum!
Love the product and love the vision for the company, best laptop I’ve ever owned.

3 Likes

Hello World!
I’m Eribyte, a local software engineer/vtuber. I’ve gotten really into building computers since graduating college and working in industry, I’m currently waiting on a batch 4 Ryzen 9 framework 16 patiently! :3

3 Likes

I am an economist, currently teaching courses on ‘Environmental Economics’ and ‘Sustainable Technology: A Global Economic Perspective’ at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, NY.

4 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Chane, a graduate student in engineering physics. I discovered Framework with the first Linus Tech Tips video on the company and I’ve been following the development of Framework laptops, since then.

I like the concept of modular and upgradable laptop. So I decided to take the plunge of ordering a FW16 after its announcement.

I’ve joined the forum hoping to get some advice on picking good components for my future FW16.

Cheers

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

My name is Sebastiaan, I’m a Linux sysadmin. I discovered Framework through some YouTube video’s (not the LTT ones) and some articles on various websites. That got me curious, since the whole idea struck a chord with me. So I took the plunge and bought a 2nd hand Framework 13 from someone near me. I loved it ever since, so much so that I have ordered a Framework 13 AMD (3rd batch!!) and am waiting (im)patiently for it.

The hardware concept is a huge plus for me. Plus the expansion modules, and the screen aspect ratio. 3:2 for me is ideal. Add to that the fact that my distro of choice (Fedora) runs on it like a charm is the proverbial cherry on the cake.

4 Likes

Hi, I’m a software developer and for a while now I’ve been looking to buy a new laptop as my current one burnt its dedicated GPU.

After seeing this concept I was delighted, now it is possible to replace any part that breaks or upgrade without having to buy a whole new laptop. It’s just what I was looking for.

Best regards.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a field engineer.
The FW13 is going to be for private use though.
My current laptop is going to run Linux after I get my FW and the FW is going to run Win 11.

Really looking forward to the future and the ability to swap out broken parts or upgrade as needed.

3 Likes

Hi all!
Fine Artist here moving on from a 2013 macbook pro and the apple ecosystem.
Really happy to be part of the Framework community!
Moved abroad to for studies and had to leave my gaming pc but really priveliged to own a framework that’s still unavailable from my home (Singapore). I’ve always been a tinkerer and tech enthusiast.
Bought the FW 13 Intel 13th gen DIY edition for creative use and AI art with an egpu. Maxed it out with 64GB and 4TB and I’ve never been happier.
Power to the consumer!

5 Likes

What’s up? I’m stoked to finally make it to the Framework community forum!

My name is Gejnemin (pronounced Gen-eh-min) [he/him] I am a consumer tech & Cybersecurity enthusiast! I am also a fan of video games of all kinds, going on hikes, and all sorts of fun stuff.

I am a part of the AMD Batch 4 of laptops, which I am very excited to get delivered soon!

Thank you for taking the time to read. Connect with me via my social links below :blush:
www.gejnem.in/links

2 Likes

Program manager at NCSA, always interested in computing advances and a modular laptop is just that. Have an order in for FW16 in Batch12. Really looking forward to it.

5 Likes

3D Mechanical designer, overall tech enthusiast. I am currently working on my Google cyber security cert and studying for Sec+, and I do web-design with friends for a little side hustle. I am excited about the FW 16 and hoping to order one soon.

3 Likes

Hi!
I am a german software dev mostly for JVM based languages. I bought a framework because i like the idea of repairing things instead of throwing them away so i bought an AMD model since all my computer run on AMD, just like all of them run on Fedora.

3 Likes

I am a retired university administrator approaching my 70th trip around the sun in January.
I bought the Framework 13 DIY, which brought back memories of my first computer a CompuAdd 286 which you also had to install the memory (512 kilobytes), hard drive (20 MB), and install the operating system (MS-DOS). I have to say things have come a long way.
This laptop is replacing a Toshiba Chromebook purchased in 2015 which I had installed Ubuntu on after Google stopped supplying security updates for the Chrome OS on the Chromebook. I ran into problems installing Fedora 38 on a USB drive using Fedora’s Media Writer but Etcher had no problem creating the bootable USB. I am loving this laptop and the fact that is not made to be a disposable item after five years.

9 Likes

Hi all, student-worker here, currently on a 2016 semi upgraded desktop and a similarly aged laptop wondering if I should update my desktop or get a new laptop.

6 Likes