Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Hello, I am Anachron.

got my Framework laptop (12th gen) one year ago and its still going strong.

I am here to help, no matter whether its the community or Framework itself.

I love RtR, Linux and OSS.

While I am not able to be as active as before anymore, I try to help when and where I can to create a lasting good community so we can change the world.

There are enough computer vendors with bad support and useless middlemen. Lets change it!

4 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Thomas. I just received my Framework 13 AMD and am working on setting it up with Arch linux. Iā€™m hoping this laptop lasts a long time, or maybe for the rest of my life!

5 Likes

Well said yourself! If we can support a company that is upending the disposable laptop market and making laptops maintainable again without sacrificing on design quality the other vendors will start to feel it in their pocketbooks when their laptop sales graph drops. Hopefully they will get it and we can see a nice reformation in the industry.

3 Likes

I hear you about being able to upgrade and repair the Framework yourself. I too have been in the computer industry a long time. In my childhood the PC was just being invented and Apple II and C64 were the current hot computers so predating PC, but writing software for the PC and building them from scratch was a big part of my everyday in my teens and beyond. That ability to upgrade and fix the Framework was a big selling feature for me. I like repairing computers so much I recently started a YouTube channel just for repairing retro machines.

2 Likes

Cool! Fellow Linux fan here too! My daily driver distro is Kubuntu, but Iā€™ve used various distributions at different times, Arch is probably one of the few main distros I havenā€™t used.

Before moving to Linux I was actually more of a BSD fanboi, but Iā€™ve been finding most BSD dists too stagnant lately, which makes them to slow to catch up to the industry. Lots of great features, not enough fully production ready. My daily driver needs to be stable and reliable, which it is right now. Before that I was using Gentoo Linux because I loved the flexibility of building everything I wanted to from scratch and using distcc to spread the build across all my machines. However, the maintenance was too much to stay my daily driver. I was spending more time compiling/fixing upgrades than using the machine.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community!

Hi, Iā€™m Wolfgang from Munich, Germany, a retired engineer (electric, not IT :smiling_face_with_tear:) and like travelling and taking photos and videos, mostly landscape and wildlife.
When I travel, I use a Lenovo T450s which needs to be replaced by a more recent notebook rather sooner than later and hope I can find out more about the Framework units. I like the modular approach :+1:

P.S. - ā€œwusā€ are my initials, I use this handle in many other communities and forums.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community Wus!

Hello, I live in the US, Iā€™m excited to join this amazing community. The transparency demonstrated by Framework as a company truly stands out, and I commend the entire team for their dedication and hard work in making this community possible.

A little bit about me: I love building desktop computers and mini PCs. Within the first 5 minutes of unboxing any laptop, I tear into it, mostly to add RAM and upgrade storage. Iā€™m excited to build my own laptop and configure it to my preferences. Iā€™ve previously assembled an Epyc server and run Proxmox on it with multiple Debian and Ubuntu Linux server VMs. Additionally, I attended a technical college to obtain industry certifications.

I recently got married at the end of November, and thankfully, my wife supports my decision to keep my Laptop 16 pre-order.

I heard about Framework through Linus Tech Tips when they first started up, and Iā€™ve kept them on my radar since then. I was particularly excited when they announced the AMD variants. While I almost pre-ordered one, the Laptop 16 caught my attention. Thatā€™s the one I wanted, so I pre-ordered it.

4 Likes

Welcome to our community!!

Hi all, my name is Caitlyn R.W. (she/her), Iā€™m studying computer science and electronic engineering at uni. Saw Framework from LTT a few years ago, I spilled water on my Macbook Air a few months ago, and deiced to get a Framework this time round. My Mac was nice but starting to show itā€™s flaws as I was needing more engineering applications which are annoying Windows-only. Once I got past my initial problems, super satisfied and hopefully this one wonā€™t be killed by me stumbling with a cup in my hand.

5 Likes

Hi - Iā€™m John,

Iā€™m a Software Engineer in the UK and in the process of retiring.

I have just ordered my Framework 13 AMD 7840U with 64GB to set up my first ever truly personal laptop.

Planning on doing a lot of personal projects and probably some open source work while travelling and seeing the world.

Excited by the Framework concept from a sustainability and upgradability perspective.

4 Likes

Hey Caitlyn , welcome to the community!

Hi John, welcome to the community! Please share photos with your Framework laptop from different parts of the world with us!

Hiya. Jan, also addressable as halfbyte on the internets, software developer and digital artist (mostly music) from Hamburg, Germany.

Couldnā€™t resist getting an AMD FW13 and so far I am quite happy with it. I love the idea of Framework and I just hope they will be around for a long time so that this can be my laptop for the next, dunno, 15 years or so. That would be awesome.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Jan! Hope you decide to share your digital art with us as well!

Hi,

Iā€™m Gavin - a software engineer in the UK. Iā€™ve had a couple of Windows laptops in the past but used a 2015 vintage MacBook Pro 15 for almost a decade (obvs!) - I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I like the experience (itā€™s a great laptop) but donā€™t like the closed Apple ecosystem (if I could replace its battery and SSD I wouldnā€™t need a new laptop!) so when I heard about Framework (via a combination of YouTube and word-of-mouth) I knew itā€™s what I would get next. Iā€™m looking forward to seeing whether a fully Linux laptop is ready for the mainstream (i.e. the rest of my family, currently on Windows).

Iā€™ve got a Fairphone 4 which is similarly DIY repairable which should have a good chance of outliving previous phones (~3 years each) ā€¦ itā€™s not as good as non-DIY phones but itā€™s easily good enough for my needs and its long life is a massive plus point. My guess is Iā€™ll feel the same about the Framework :shrug:

Batch 10 canā€™t come soon enough!

4 Likes

Hi Gavin, welcome to the community!

1 Like

I didnā€™t bother ordering the 180W PSU when I put my laptop order in (IIRC it was over Ā£150 which I found hard to stomach).

But now I will probably get one ā€¦ but it apparently canā€™t be added to my existing order (for ā€œreasonsā€) so Iā€™d have to cancel and re-order. Who knows when Iā€™d get a laptop if I did that!? As a side-effect that means itā€™ll cost me Ā£100 (plus p&p?) rather than the Ā£80 they cost when bought with a laptop :frowning:

1 Like

Hi,

Iā€™m Ivan, a Computer Science student from the US, and a hobby musician, among other things. Iā€™ve been a Linux user, and open-source enthusiast, for almost nine years. Iā€™ve been hearing about Framework from several people in the community since its founding, usually with great excitement that a laptop exists where you can replace things like the CPU, and the keyboard! So when my Purism Librem 14 started having issues that I couldnā€™t easily diagnose, fix, or even get fixed, I decided to go ahead and order a Laptop 13 DIY edition with AMD. I hope that, with all this repairability, it will last me a long time.

Iā€™m here primarily to get help with some of the issues Iā€™ve been having (which I will probably post about later, if I canā€™t solve them myself), but this seems like a nice community to be in, in general.

4 Likes