Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Hey, I’m a software engineer to pay the rent. A friend told me about framework laptops :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all,

Canadian in Aus, grateful for the pre-orders!!! :smiley::partying_face::champagne::champagne::sparkler::sparkler:
I’m another who found Framwork on LTT.

I built my first pc when I was 19, back in 1998… taught myself how to partition my measly harddrive and run both windows and linux on the same machine, taught myself how to code a website (ah, iframes and papyrus font - so not joking)… have since gone all corporate, had a family, and don’t have as much time to do those kinds of things anymore, though I have on occasion been known to replace a battery or screen etc on our idevices… thank you ifixit…

I have three boys, ages 11.5 to 16, for whom we’ve already spent $1000s on devices over the years, and I HATE that once they’re done, they’re done… I have a stack of various laptops, FOUR pc towers, and too many tablets to count, because I REFUSE to get rid of them because one day, we should be able to use the parts. (Hubby thinks I have issues - he might not be wrong.) And their latest school laptops, Lenovo ThinkPads, are less than 2 years old, and riddled with issues, meaning they’ll need new ones for next year. Now to convince hubby that the investment in repairable and upgradeable laptops NOW will save us $1000s in the next 10 years… ** sigh ** good times. :wink:

excited to get the opportunity to have devices that we can continue using long term. so freaking excited.

6 Likes

Hi all,
I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my DIY Framework, due to be delivered this Wednesday.

I chose a framework laptop as a replacement for my Dell Inspiron. Once a perfectly good laptop that got just old and isn’t upgradeable.

I’ve worked as a software engineer for a number of years and Linux is my preference. After reading the guides and think I will put on Manjaro distro…or I may give Mint a try. :thinking:

I think the DIY version is an exciting idea and being able to upgrade and customise a laptop over time is a game changer for me. I like the idea of community support and the reviews I’ve read are promising.

Just hoping the laptop is as sleek as it looks in the picture…4 sleeps to go!

4 Likes

Hey everybody.

I began with Linux in 1994 during computer engineering school, pure fun with Slackware.
Then moved to Windows for work, with company-provided laptops.
7 years ago moved to MacBooks, had a blast.

Trying framework hardware, with a Linux distro (probably Ubuntu) is an exciting next step. Can’t wait to the journey, and learn from/with you all.

1 Like

I own a computer service business. I’m building an 11th gen i5 Frame.work laptop for a customer. I’ve received almost all the parts; I’m waiting on the battery to become available.

Anybody know where I can get screws?! Frame.work doesn’t sell them. They give you this link Fasteners Guide - Framework Guides and say the screws are available in any hardware store. Ha!

Thanks everyone.

1 Like

Hey folks! Sysadmin and coder that’s bought their first Framework.

Became aware of Framework a little over six months ago, but didn’t have a need to purchase additional equipment at the time. I did bookmark it though, as a modular laptop that has an eye towards shrinking the ecological impact of technology was of interest to me.

Planning on carrying out my usual Sysadmin duties with it, as well as do some game development I do as a hobby. Never used an external GPU before, but eager to give it a look.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I am an I.T. Manager and interested in these laptops.
I would like to see if it is possible later for graphics expansion.

1 Like

Functionally known to work with eGPU…but there’s not official Thunderbolt certification for the laptop yet.

2 Likes

Hello, I have been interested in Framework since they first launched. Now that they have opened up orders in Australia I have finally ordered one.
Looking forward to something a bit easier to open than my previous (now broken) Dell inspiron.

2 Likes

Hi. My first laptop of my very own! Mom of computer geek son who can’t afford his own Framework yet so he talked me into buying one for myself. Love it so far, but I only do a little gaming, make videos of myself playing the horn and create power points for education seminars. Bought it because I love the concept as well as like being to change things out when I want to (not a total luddite, I did build my own gaming computer).

4 Likes

Hi there,

Industrial Designer from the Netherlands, currently working in the aviation industry. I have a background in engineering and design, and worked on all kinds of products. I’ve been a fan of simple and repairable products since forever. I’ve worked in a field that (unfortunately) treated products as short term and not durable. I always felt out of place working there. I was looking for a laptop that has the versatility of a desktop but with portability. My old PC is not yet ready for retirement but will be repurposed for other great projects. I really like to design add-ons or upgrades (expansion cards) myself one day. Lookin forward to new projects and using the machine as my daily driver :smiley:

Hey everyone, I’m a senior in highschool as well as a certified software developer (sounds fancy, but really it only takes 2 months and a some dedication to get each certification (i have 4), you dont even need to be out of high school). I’m super excited for my framework laptop to arrive, which is unusual considering that I’m generally pretty anti-laptop (mostly because they’re generally difficult to repair and even harder to upgrade). I would like to eventually make some custom expansion cards, but I currently have none of the skillsets required since I only do software stuff. Not quite planning on using the framework as my “daily driver”, since I have a beast of a desktop, but I’m definitely gonna get my money’s worth out of it.

1 Like

Hello there!

Being perhaps the first non-tech-savvy person to write in this presentation thread I may be a bit out of place (:grimacing:), but since I found out about Framework I was simply blown away.

The simplicity and the almost non-existent effort required to swap and upgrade parts sold me on the product instantly (even having so far near 0 experience in such things), not to mention the environmental commitment, that Framework both as a company and as a product, has taken on to has really convinced me.

I am currently living in Italy and finishing my finance degree (so like I said absolutely not an expert regarding tech) but I am now desperately waiting for them to open up pre-orders/support for Italy since my current driver is a gaming laptop (which I do not use as much to game anymore) which is now pretty old…

Still, even without being an expert of any kind, I still intend to buy the DIY version as it both seems to be really easy and fun (I’ll admit that without the guides provided by Framework I would be absolutely screwed :sweat_smile: :joy:) but they seem to be actually very well made and really easy to follow and they actually helped me to educate myself a little bit (even though I still do not have a FW laptop to work on yet:sweat_smile:)

Really looking forward to it :grin:!!!

4 Likes

Just ordered a 12th gen DIY edition!

I was deciding between a lenovo leigon 16" and the framework (I know big difference). I had not been into laptops, only have my desktop. Originally I wanted a laptop that could outperform and replace my desktop, because if I’m buying a laptop I’m going to sell my desktop. I don’t need 2 computers. Was considering a 16" laptop originally but was not sure how a 16 inch laptop would be to haul around while travelling for work.

After I heard about Framework, I could not decide between one of the 16" Lenovo Leigons, and a framework. I was stuck for like a week on my decision. The framework concept is so cool and commendable. I like minimizing waste and fixing products instead of having to toss and replace. But… the Leigon with it’s latest ryzen and 3070ti would actually outperform my current computer! But then I got to thinking… Do I really need a graphics card? Do I really need a 2k+ display? I haven’t played video games since last fall. Idk. Can’t decide.

So I went to microcenter to feel the different laptop sizes. I didn’t really know how to visualize the size and weight of the different sized laptops. But after going to microcenter, the 16 inchers were more than I wanted to put in my “personal item” backpack on the plane. Practically weighed as much as my entire backpack did when it was usually full. lol.

So, I came home, much to the dismay of the salesperson at microcenter :stuck_out_tongue:, and pro-ordered a Framework. I figured if I ever needed more compute power for video editing or video games, I will go with an e-gpu at home on my desk. I’m going to sell my desktop, and just plug the framework into my monitors, and use my keyboard & mouse etc while at home. I also plan on getting a portable laptop monitor so I can have 2 screens while on the go. And why not another one at home. lol. I have been spoiled with 3 monitors on my desktop and really want to have at least 2 since I’ll be going with the framework’s smaller, lower res display. Those portable monitors are so lightweight and the displays look really nice!

Anyways, excited to get my laptop, shipping in October.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m Rain! I like to play games and make music, as well as do a lot of other stuff with computers. I forgot how I heard of Framework (maybe from iFixit or a tech YouTuber, and I’m pretty sure it was before Linus caught on), but when I first caught wind of it, I was immediately interested. However, I already had a 2017 HP Spectre that I kept alive with an SSD upgrade and a battery replacement, and I wanted to wait until I needed an upgrade to get a Framework laptop.

Eventually, my screen cracked when I closed it (I don’t know exactly how it happened; maybe I closed it a little too hard?). After scouring the Internet for a display replacement, I didn’t think I could get a new part, let alone cheap enough to be worth it on a laptop that was showing its age. I held out a couple more months as I looked on and off for a new display, but eventually, I gave up and decided to buy a new laptop entirely and give the old one a second life as a home server of some sort (still figuring out what I want/need).

In July of this year, I pre-purchased my Framework, and I just received it less than a week ago. I’m already super happy with it. It feels much smoother than my old laptop in day-to-day use, I actually get to choose my ports (less need for a USB-A hub), and I installed Linux for consistency with my desktop. It’s not perfect, but I hope that I’ll be able to repair, replace, and upgrade components (and even the mainboard!) down the line to keep this computer useful for years to come.

2 Likes

Hi I’m Nigel! I’m a former chemical engineer currently pursuing a career in medicine. I still love to tinker and taking apart electronics to see how they work is still a hobby of mine. I’m moving out of the Apple ecosystem to something that supports right to repair. I first saw Framework on YouTube (LTT channel) and I’ve been following it for the past year to see how the project progressed. When I saw you really could just drop in a new motherboard for a system upgrade, I was convinced to get one for myself!

1 Like

BI Analyst here

Found framework through a post on TomsGuide

The philosophy speaks to me on a visceral level. When I next buy a laptop, no question this will be at the top of my eval list!

1 Like

Hi, I am a Chemical Engineer. I run my own engineering firm and I wanted to see how the Framework Laptop could work in the organization.

2 Likes

Hi all! My name is Alice and I want to buy my first framework laptop. I want ask some questions before purchase here.

3 Likes

Oh, there is an introduction thread :smiley:

So …
I’m 42 years old, currently working as Workplace/Landscape Architect (mainly Windows related) for a big global IT Company. I’m in IT since I’m 14 years old (= since 1994), so I’m through nearly everything you can do … hotline, onsite, network, repairing notebooks (2000 to 2008), automations, transitions/migrations, 3rd/4th level support and so on.

What I’m expecting from Framework?
Well, nothing special, at least a good machine for work for the next 3 years (ofc, longer is welcome).

1 Like