Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Software Engineer from The Netherlands who just ordered his first Framework laptop. Will get shipped with batch 3 in September hopefully. Will run Linux only setup. If it works well I’m going to standardize on Framework for all laptops in my household with my wife and 3 kids.
I was hoping to order an AMD CPU but my guess is the fastest way to make that happen is to start supporting the company by buying into the current offering. The reusability of the Intel main board is what makes this possible. Otherwise I would not have ordered an Intel laptop.

8 Likes

CS and ECE student from New England who’s been daily driving a T430 for the past seven-eight years. I’m looking for something as repairable if not more so. Looking forward to getting my laptop

2 Likes

Just put stuff in my profile by way of intro/bio. I forgot to mention the picture is more than 30 years old. Oh well. I love the idea of a computer I can take apart without breaking it like I used to back in the days of my Apple IIe that came with 8k of ram I maxed out to 48k. It cost about $3,500 including the plane I had to rent to go get it at “Ye Olde Computer Store” in Spokane Washington. I’ve lost count of the computers I’ve owned since then. Hard to believe it’s been 45 years since my wife became a “computer widow.” Before that I was into ham radio and flying. Now I wonder how I ever had time to go to work before I retired. There is so much to do!

6 Likes

Hello! I’m a computer enthusiast who loves messing with the tech. I’ve built many desktops and have always wanted to build a laptop, so framework allows me to do that. I went ahead and put in my order earlier today after watching Linus’ update video from earlier. Been following along since his first video.

Excited to see where Framework takes me and goes as a company!

3 Likes

Heya! I’m LeveLUP (or y’all can call me LeveL) recently ordered a 12th Gen spec and start a new role in IT Tomorrow! Nothing fancy just a trainee role. Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I am a software engineer and devops engineer, I bought a 12th generation intel i7 1280P Framework, I am looking forward to it. I am in batch 3 It should arrive in September.

I hope that it shall be as fast as it appears! The article on the performance comparison from the 11th generation caused me to want it, I also have a 10th generation mobile i7 and it’s fast, so I suspect this laptop is even faster.

1 Like

Hey I’m strongly considering a Framework laptop. Haven’t needed any type of real PC for years; pretty much relied on my work assigned laptop. But their security policy has become untenable and I can no longer install any type of third party software. Initially it will be used for FPV drone config tasks, Betaflight and DJI type stuff; and eventually some light video processing. Anyway the Framework concept appeals to my inner EE.

1 Like

Hello everyone !
I just got my own little framework in the mail today and I am looking forward to being part of the community.
I’m an engineering student in south of france and I really liked frameworks concept and idea of a laptop computer.
When I started to read about the laptop and the company, I decided to sell my M1 Macbook air and to buy the 11th gen DIY option.
So here we are today with my new beast.

4 Likes

:wave: h o w d y :cowboy_hat_face:

Just blew in from outta town… Classically, I’m more of a lurker type when it comes to public-esque online spaces, so time will tell how much I post. It does seem like a nice little space.

Have had a 12th gen, i5 DIY edition for about a week now; other than one minorish technical issue, I’m digging it so far. Was drawn to FW for many of the reasons I imagine most of you were… let’s see where this goes !

5 Likes

W00t! After a minor struggle with wifi and a silly misunderstanding about the trackpad, my Frame.work 12th Gen Intel is up and running on Kubuntu 22.04. I’m a computer programmer who installed his first Linux distro from floppies back in the early '90’s (Hello Slackware!), but I was not aware that in order to register right- and left-clicks on this trackpad, you need to be sure to click the lower corner of the device. Sigh. Wifi took a couple of re-seatings of the card before she started cooperating – no idea why.

This machine is quite an upgrade from my trusty Lenovo T530!

3 Likes

My wife and I own a bakery/coffee shop. I’m a weirdly neutral person because I don’t have hard dealbreakers, I can use whatever I have whether that’s Mac or Linux though Windows is my preference. I like building and upgrading computers, and I’ve done a lot of repairs on mobile devices, especially around the iPhone 6 era. Frankly, in general buying the new thing hasn’t been an option and making the older thing last has been important, so I love the idea of designing around that.

5 Likes

Hey everyone. I grew up playing around with computers in the 80s and 90s - Commodore PET, Timex Sinclair, Apple IIe, Mac Plus, early DOS PCs, etc. I first tried out Linux from its 1.0 days (although I didn’t get more serious about it until a few years later) and I’m a jack of all trades software guy, with a sprinkling of hardware and manufacturing as well. I’m pretty well grizzled at this point, but still try to remain somewhat optimistic/enthusiastic as a tech nerd.

I made my last switch to running Linux on the desktop about 7 years ago and this time it seems to have stuck. While hardware is rarely an issue on the desktop side, for laptops it’s still a bit hit or miss (ACPI bugs, suspend/resume, hardware keys, etc), but there’s been a recent trend of more OOTB working options recently (Framework included), which is nice. Although at this point, yak shaving Linux hardware has become a bit of a hobby, so I’m looking forward to poking and prodding a bit.

I’m pretty hard on my gear, but I really like the Framework idea of repairability and upgradability, so I’m also hoping that this might be the last laptop I buy for a while.

3 Likes

Just realised I also haven’t introduced myself.

I’m a graphic designer working almost entirely in Adobe InDesign. InDesign is one of the last few design apps out there that utilises only a single CPU core on Windows, and so – when my ancient Sony Vaio began slowing to a crawl on the latest versions of the Creative Cloud – it came down to a choice between either a MacBook or a high-ish spec Framework for lightweight work on the go with a machine that will actually last a good few years. I traded-off the incredible Mac battery life and excellent screen for much better ram/storage for the price as well as unrivalled upgradability/reparability with the 12th gen Framework.

It’s also nice to be able to support a company genuinely trying to improve the industry.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: If you haven’t ordered yet, what’s holding you back?

Well, if you have a USB PD charger with enough power, you don’t need a separate one.
I actually mostly use a 45 watt Samsung charger with my computer. Also tested a 30 watt MacBook Air charger, and a 25 watt Samsung.

Wouldn’t recommend the latter. It got very hot.

My Frame.work charger is actually used mostly to power a Samsung tablet, the aforementioned MacBook Air, or my phone.
The cable is longer so it reaches my work area easier.

1 Like

Hi everyone. I’m a real estate investment broker, and just ordered my batch 3 12th gen i7-1280p with 64g ram today. I have been limping along on a 2015 Thinkpad, which has no battery life at all anymore, and which takes it’s sweet time running the access database I built. I wanted a framework because there’s no other computer that I’m aware of that is compact and offer such tremendous RAM capacity. Very stoked to start this journey.

3 Likes

Hello, I’m a Former IT Professional turned Bank Teller. I’m still a PC Hobbyist and mainly use my desktop for most things, as my old laptop isn’t very useful anymore. Wanted a Project to tinker on and hopefully upgrade easily in the future.

1 Like

G’day, Australian systems developer here. I’ve been patiently waiting for Australia to be added as a region, and just jumped on it when it was announced overnight.

I’ve had enough of paying a MS tax when the first thing I do when I get a new laptop is to blow away windows. Self repair and custom expansion ports too, what’s not to love!

I’m looking forward to receiving my new machine when it ships hopefully in October

4 Likes

Hi, another Aussie here, I’m an electrician by trade. I’ve been waiting about 8 or 9 months for Australia to be added. Got my order in today and am keen to get the new system as soon as possible. My old HP laptop is near 8 or 9 years old now and long overdue for replacement; although it woks well enough the tech is very old and slow even for Linux installs.

I first heard about framework laptops from a link posted on ubuntuforums.org; I was fascinated by the concept of an easily upgradable laptop (that is Linux compatible) and have been very keen to check out the framework system. I’m a long time Ubuntu and Debian user, from about 2007 on, and look forward to building my laptop myself and installing Ubuntu or Xubuntu to start off with.

Cheers, yeti (aka Nev).

3 Likes

Seems like there are heaps of Aussies coming through the cracks.

3 Likes