Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Hi

I’m Ben, a Tech Enthusiast and Electronics Engineer from Switzerland.

My search for a new laptop has led me here.
Is it worth to wait untill you deliver to Switzerland or shall I use a parcel forwarding service?

Bye, Ben

1 Like

Another hello!

I’m Philippe from Germany and I ordered just my framework laptop.

In fact, I am curious to see what the framework can do, how it is equipped in detail and how it feels. I’m going to try out framework’s modular and thus sustainable and repairable concept, even though I actually wanted a laptop with an AMD processor. Hopefully it will be offered soon and the current computers can be converted.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m Arif from UK, and received my Framework yesterday.

I work in IT, supporting various products within the Linux community.

I found out about Framework through my work colleagues, and glad I did :slight_smile:

One of the key things I am looking forward to is the fact I can utilise my laptop to do further development tasks, that I could only do on a higher spec machine. So, now with 64GB RAM and 20 cores, I am hoping this will give this capability.

One other thing, I like about the Framework, is the fact about changing, upgrading components, without having to worry about changing the whole laptop. If this works out and durable enough, it could be that I have a Framework for the rest of my career.

Looking forward to many discussions within the community, and hope to see you all around

2 Likes

Marketing consultant by day, motorcycle journalist nights and weekends.

I need a laptop powerful enough to run Adobe’s Creative Suite and small enough to throw into a backpack, ride cross country, and store, edit, and post photos and video (4k and 5.7k 360) from the road.

After going through two Macbook Pros and two Dell XPS13s over the last 15 years, I decided that the Framework 12th gen would be my next laptop.

In the past, I’d extend the life of a laptop with a mid-cycle upgrade of RAM and HD. I was considering a Macbook Pro 14 but I’d have to accept that the last years of its useful life would be less than optimal.

The MBP14 would likely be a better computer than the Framework today, but in two years, I can upgrade the CPU/RAM/SSD in the Framework right when the MBP14 starts to feel slow. Total cost of ownership over four years would be similar, but performance over those four years will probably be advantage Framework.

I do have so concerns - battery life, thermal management under heavy workloads, etc… But you know what? Those can be addressed with the modularity of the Framework, with higher energy density batteries as they become available, and evolved CPUs/GPUs.

I’m very excited to get mine and start this journey. And happy to join this community.

John

3 Likes

Heya, I’m Nichëllès from the Netherlands, already a happy owner of a Framework and loving it to bits. Been using it for digital drawing, the screen is great in both size, density and colour. Next to that I use it for a little bit of coding and slicing 3D prints.

I’ve been wanting a laptop for the things I need done on the go but was really burned by the previous laptops that I’ve owned. Already knew of Framework for a while but only recently started to really dive into more info about the laptop and the company behind it. Been really loving what the company does and honestly want more people to know about it as I really love what Framework is doing.

3 Likes

Hi good to be here. I live in beautiful West Cork in Ireland and I’m 75 years old and still have enough brain cells to have been able to get my new Framework BareBone up and running in a few minutes. That must say something about how well it is designed! Very impressed at how speedily it was delivered from Taiwan via France and Germany in 4 days. Now enjoying every minute of it!

2 Likes

@Bluto aka Grover Righter. I am a mathematician, data scientist and I did grad school focused on QED, Computer Engineering/Computer Science. Been working on UNIX systems just short of 45 years. I use Linux now because UNIX has such poor support on Laptops.

I have been using Apple Macs since 2006, but I am now moving to a pure Linux dev environment. (It’s a long story - I’ll spare the details.)

I found Framework by searching for Laptops that fully support Linux. I like everything I see and I have just ordered my first Framework Laptop. I chose the Windows Pro version in order to keep a small, functional Windows boot partition, but I plan to spend 90% of my time booted into Linux.

I will use my Laptop for development at Plan9 Labs (Plan9.ai).

'Nuff for now. Happy to be here. I like what I am seeing/reading about longer term hardware, reusability. But truly, I need a great dev platform with 100% Linux support as my primary need.

2 Likes

Hi–

I just got my Batch 5 DIY a couple days ago and love this computer to death! I needed a PC for work, plus a testbed for Linux (I am a Linux newbie, coming from Mac and Windows). This computer ticked those boxes and, as someone else said here, so much more than I ever thought I wanted in a laptop. Especially repairability. I would love to still be using this computer in five years and have it be as effective as it is now.

I would love for every laptop to be this repairable, frankly. I’ve dug into many different brands of laptops for upgrades/repairs over the years, ranging from IBM/Lenovo (fixable) to Apple (diabolical to repair), and this was logical, VERY well laid-out. I’ve had a couple of issues crop up which seem common in the community, mainly the wifi reception and the fingerprint reader (I messed up and didn’t purge the FP memory before wiping the computer). Nothing major, just notable. Did I mention I’m enraptured with this machine? What a fabulous keyboard!

I’m running Manjaro Cinnamon on it at the moment. The XFCE instructions, as well as the community, were immensely helpful in getting this set up to this point. I intend to move to Debian though, once the next version is released, as there are apps I need that cannot be installed in Arch.

I love reading everyone’s stories, and look forward to reading more from the community!

2 Likes

Not that new to the community, but I’m typing this on my brand new Framework 12th gen.

Reading the reviews first and then getting the laptop…they are accurate in terms of the fit and finish (particularly regarding the expansion cards), but none of that actually makes it feel like a sub-premium laptop. I’m otherwise floored by how premium and thin it does feel, cosnidering how repairable it is.

Well done, Framework Folks, I’m really rather impressed.

3 Likes

Does anyone actually read all of these? Anyway, a brief introduction: I work as a pre-sales engineer for a company that produces commercial software and services for DNS, DHCP, and IP address management. My work laptop is a MacBook Pro, and traditionally I’ve used Macs for personal uses as well, but I wanted to have a personal laptop that could natively run Windows and Linux. I have been following Framework for a while and finally decided to take the leap.

I’m running the current mid-range configuration with Windows 11 on the main drive (as shipped) and Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on the 250GB expansion card. I wasn’t sure exactly how to get that dual-boot configuration working without messing up the Windows install, but found a community forum article that helped out. (I think Framework should emulate DigitalOcean and publish some curated tutorials for stuff like that.)

At this point everything is working (except for a minor issue I think is Ubuntu-related), and I’m very happy about the level of Ubuntu support – even my wireless headphones work. I plan on using the laptop for personal blogging, data analysis and visualization using R Studio and (maybe) Anaconda, maybe running some games on Steam/Windows, and also some testing related to my work.

Frank

2 Likes

Actually yes, I have. :grinning:

Ubuntu is my main system, I have no Windows OS installed. I agree the Ubuntu support is excellent.

Welcome to the Framework Community. Cheers, yeti.

2 Likes

@Frank_Hecker , my system is a batch 1 eleventh generation 1185, I have it set up with Windows 10 on the main drive and current Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on a 250 card. Occasionally I plug in a USB flash drive with Fedora 37.

So my set up pretty much matches yours.
Ubuntu and Fedora have both updated from the earlier versions available in August 2021.

I am not ready to move to Windows 11, yet…

I have been happy with mine, but since I had other devices, it may not be used as heavily as some do.

Finally replaced my shitty 400$ laptop with something I hope will be able to last me a long time, love the PC and trying to convert everyone I can :smile:

I’m a Project Manager on the east coast of Canada and found Framework with LTT. Hope to get the same vibe of the linux community with the Framework one.

2 Likes

Hello all.
I am an embedded SW engineer living in Italy (originally from France). It’s been 6 months since I bought my Framework (i7-1165G7, 32GB of RAM, 500GB SSD), both for work and personal use. I am running it with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS installed but I am planning to install Windows 10 on an 250GB expansion card (I am running a VM at the moment).
Very happy with it until now!

2 Likes

Long-time computer user, mostly use Chromebooks and Linux, but keep a Windows machine around for some games (not hgh-powered AAA or anything) and such. Current PC died, saw Cory Doctorow’s Framework piece and thought why not! The setup experience has been lovely; I’m just now slightly stuck at finding a working Windows machine and USB key to do the Windows install… thing from. I’m sure I’ll figure it out. :slight_smile:

Hoping the nice modern Intel video chipset can handle light gaming like WoW, Second Life, and some other old stuff. We’ll see! :slight_smile:

@ceoln@qoto.org (mastodon)

1 Like

Had my framework for only a few weeks now, but enjoying it.

I’m an EMS helicopter pilot from Ontario, Canada. I have been toying with Linux for years, and run a linux-based server in my home lab, but never used it as my primary OS due to being into PC gaming. Finally relegated my old Razer Blade laptop to my daughter’s gaming computer, and use the framework with Ubuntu now. Been designing some 3D printed accessories for the laptop as well, and will be doing more designs going forward.

2 Likes

Hi all!

Im an I.t. professional from Texas turned networking instructor. I cut my teeth on a commodore 64 and have been working in the industry since 1998. Now I’m moving into a new role teaching students the computer networking trade.

I picked up a 12th gen model because I’ve been dreaming of a modular / upgrade-able laptop for decades. I got mine last night and ive already been showing it off to some of the students and other teachers and the reception has been very positive.

I hope to be a long time customer!

3 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is Kris Keillor. I am a programmer “by trade”, and an Electrical and Computer Engineer - according to my degree, at least!

I am looking forward to doing some hardware experiments with the Framework expansion cards.

Right now I am trying to install Fedora on my new 12th gen Framework after Ubuntu failing with an I/O error half a dozen times in a row!

Did you do an integrity check, with a sha256sum check (or md5sum check), after downloading the iso file?

If you downloaded via bit-torrent those checks should be done automatically.

It sounds a bit like a corrupted download. I recently downloaded and checked ubuntu 22.04 and used Ventoy on a USB stick to install Ubuntu 22.04 without any issues.

I did not verify the checksum! That said, it was running live Ubuntu just fine, which would indicate to me the file was intact. But maybe there was some localized corruption that would only affect an install.

I have screenshots of some of the error output.

Also, I verified the integrity of the disk before writing using Rufus. Same disk was just used for my successful Fedora 37 installation.