Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Long-time computer user, mostly use Chromebooks and Linux, but keep a Windows machine around for some games (not hgh-powered AAA or anything) and such. Current PC died, saw Cory Doctorow’s Framework piece and thought why not! The setup experience has been lovely; I’m just now slightly stuck at finding a working Windows machine and USB key to do the Windows install… thing from. I’m sure I’ll figure it out. :slight_smile:

Hoping the nice modern Intel video chipset can handle light gaming like WoW, Second Life, and some other old stuff. We’ll see! :slight_smile:

@ceoln@qoto.org (mastodon)

1 Like

Had my framework for only a few weeks now, but enjoying it.

I’m an EMS helicopter pilot from Ontario, Canada. I have been toying with Linux for years, and run a linux-based server in my home lab, but never used it as my primary OS due to being into PC gaming. Finally relegated my old Razer Blade laptop to my daughter’s gaming computer, and use the framework with Ubuntu now. Been designing some 3D printed accessories for the laptop as well, and will be doing more designs going forward.

2 Likes

Hi all!

Im an I.t. professional from Texas turned networking instructor. I cut my teeth on a commodore 64 and have been working in the industry since 1998. Now I’m moving into a new role teaching students the computer networking trade.

I picked up a 12th gen model because I’ve been dreaming of a modular / upgrade-able laptop for decades. I got mine last night and ive already been showing it off to some of the students and other teachers and the reception has been very positive.

I hope to be a long time customer!

3 Likes

Hello everyone. My name is Kris Keillor. I am a programmer “by trade”, and an Electrical and Computer Engineer - according to my degree, at least!

I am looking forward to doing some hardware experiments with the Framework expansion cards.

Right now I am trying to install Fedora on my new 12th gen Framework after Ubuntu failing with an I/O error half a dozen times in a row!

Did you do an integrity check, with a sha256sum check (or md5sum check), after downloading the iso file?

If you downloaded via bit-torrent those checks should be done automatically.

It sounds a bit like a corrupted download. I recently downloaded and checked ubuntu 22.04 and used Ventoy on a USB stick to install Ubuntu 22.04 without any issues.

I did not verify the checksum! That said, it was running live Ubuntu just fine, which would indicate to me the file was intact. But maybe there was some localized corruption that would only affect an install.

I have screenshots of some of the error output.

Also, I verified the integrity of the disk before writing using Rufus. Same disk was just used for my successful Fedora 37 installation.

Not necessarily so. Depends what part of the ISO is corrupted. It may run fine live but if the wrong part of the ISO is affected installing becomes a nightmare experience. I have been hit with that scenario on one occasion in the past. I have been installing Ubuntu from downloaded ISO files since 2007. I learnt very quickly to always check the integrity of the download file Edit: or if possible use a bit-torrent to download the ISO.

I am not referring to the integrity of the physical installation medium, the disc or USB stick, but to the downloaded ISO file itself.

Cheers, yeti

2 Likes

Hi!

My name is Wrenly Bewick, and I am a college student going for either a degree in computer science or electrical engineering. I have always loved to tinker and fix things, and I am a huge proponent of right to repair.

I chose to buy a framework laptop in order to have something reliable and repairable, putting my money were my mouth is. I bought a batch 3 DIY edition with a 12th gen Intel CPU. I use it for college and light 3D modeling.

I hope to someday upgrade my Framework laptop with a larger, more configurable model featuring more IO as well as support for internal and interchangeable GPUs. A 16 inch screen would be ideal for me.

Cheers to framework, and long live right to repair!

2 Likes

Hi there, new person here! I’m SlashFuture, and I enjoy video games, keeping up with Technology, and watching Movies and TV shows! I especially love the idea of Framework, as I wanted to build my own laptop when I was younger and now I can! I look forward to whenever AMD decides to make a Motherboard, but until then I’m satisfied with my laptop! I may post sporadically, but I will reply to people whenever I can, and I look forward to meeting new people!

G’day,
Rcg here, I’ve finally got my Framework set up. I’m running an Artix system. I’ve used Unix since 1984, and followed linux from the first posts on comp.os.unix. I’ve been a linux user since about 1995 and love the DIY approach. I have a small smithy at the end of our yard and (when joints allow) I like bashing hot metal.

Artix seems to run really well on the framework, but I haven’t yet tried getting the WiFi going, I have ethernet in the places I usually work. Both SUSE and Arch also ran well (I have problems with systemd though – it takes over some of the things I like to have control of!).

The 250Gb usb is brilliant for a hot mirror of my home directory too.

Cheers!
rcg

1 Like

Hey,
I am a physics student from Swizerland :D. My framework will arrive this christmas and I am really looking forward to it.
I think I will be a big fan of the 250 GB hard drive expansion card, because I can have a windows operating system and some data on it without having to have an external hard drive.
I think I will try something new and install Pop_OS on my Laptop. It is not trivial to find a Laptop that really supports Linux and I am greatful for Framework actively trying it.

I am reading all these threads here right now and I am looking forward to becoming part of the community. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hello everyone, greetings from Costa Rica, new guy here, yesterday I got my Framework DIY 12th gen core i5, with Win 11 as OS.
Since the first time I saw this computer I felt in love for what it stands, but until now i had a chance to buy the laptop at the begining of december.
I’ll mainly used it to study and code a little. Also have plans on 3D printing on the midfuture.

1 Like

Software developer here, .NET mainly. Will get the 12th gen machine tomorrow and have hopes that it will replace my old Lenovo T495. Aiming to use it dual boot with Windows 11/Linux Mint.

Hi, I’m software engineer live in Taiwan,
just got my 12gen framework laptop from USA by purchasing agent,
yeah~ I can’t buy FL in Taiwan even it’s made in Taiwan,
this’s ideal laptop for me, hope one day formally shipping in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Scientist, engineer, skeptic; open source & right-to-repair zealot. Framework owner since early 2022.

Happy New Year from our family to yours!

10 Likes

Hi, I am a neuroscientist who likes open science stuff! I just arrived in Glasgow. Now I am waiting for my Framework to arrive to crack some neural data on sleeping mice.

Maybe I should get an impermeable laptop cover.

I am replacing my 2-year-old G5 5000 DELL, which was a massive disappointment from the first week.

Mint user since 2014.

:sunny:

2 Likes

Happy New Year everyone! :tada:

Audio Technician running primarily Ubuntu Studio, I first got into Linux to keep my 2006 Macbook productive (it’s still going) and have since used various Ubuntu flavours on several other machines.

I buy quality equipment and run it as long as I can, both to protect the environment and because I believe it’s fiscally responsible. As soon as I learned about Framework I wanted to get one.

1 Like

Hello there! I’m Justin. I’m a software developer and a big fan of right-to-repair. I first found out about Framework from Linus Tech Tips and I’ve wanted one of their laptops ever since. I love the philosophy behind Framework and the idea of having a small, portable computer without sacrificing too much of the modularity of a desktop system. I ended up getting the refurbished 11th gen i5 version which looks brand new and has been a dream to use so far. I’m running Fedora Xfce on it since this seems like a good time to get away from Windows.

3 Likes

Hey, I’m an engineering student interested in learning how to code, game develop, and work on hardware in general. I have so far put Linux fedora on my framework and I have had the framework laptop for almost a solid month ( I have been on mac for years now and I haven’t had a solid windows laptop in a while.) coming from mac, it definitely changes your perspective. I thoroughly enjoy typing and using the flat mode it provides. I look forward to contributing to this community as I have been on Reddit since I had the laptop. Once again this is a definite change in how I use hardware and has been very enjoyable so far.

3 Likes

Hello! I am Fletch, a software developer and tinkerer!

Just ordered my ChromeOS Framework and I’m very excited for it to arrive! I’ll mostly be using the laptop for everyday tasks and some lightweight game development with PICO-8!

Y’all are up to some cool stuff with the framework components; can’t wait to see these projects unfold!

3 Likes