Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Last year computer science student (graduating soon!), full time software developer, and an active member for a local computer technician group, and I’m from Indonesia. They said I’m one of a kind in my community, that looking for devices that fully upgradable even the case or the shape is old (I still use a Core2Duo laptop from 2009 which I think still suits me, even tho I have another newer laptop just in case the old one encounter a problem). But actually my first focus for upgradable device is for mobile devices. I hate where we need to replace a smartphone every 1 or 2 years to keep up with software updates, and I ever had a Lumia a year before the tech giant behind of it announces that they will discontinue the mobile phone. Still disappointed. But in recent years, we know that laptops are now almost become what smartphones are, nearly not upgradable at all, either because they used soldered RAM and SSDs, and/or unrepairable at all. It is a pain, considering I’m a software developer, and I’m the type who don’t like to change laptop often, I prefer upgrading it, but even I know PC can be upgraded, I need a laptop for work. So when I heard about framework laptop from a IT fact posts in social media, I’m looking forward to having it. Aside from tech, I’m also a biker. Cheers!

10 Likes

Hello frame-maniacs!
My name is Cesar, I’m from Brazil. Graduated in Product Design and Masters degree in Branding. Afficionated by disruptive innovation and always looking for new interesting and well formed brands!
Also, looking for a new laptop to replace my 2011 MacBook which is facing some problems after 10 years of great hard work.

Congrats on the initiative and looking forward to being a first buyer!

8 Likes

Looking for a customisable laptop that can grow and meet my expectations over time. Heard of Framework from my aggregated news feed on mobile phone and here i am. Product design looks great and the consumer desire to have custom build machines is why i am keen to know when you start shipping to UK. Be sure to release stats on quietness and heat dissipation ;->.

7 Likes

Graduated in bioengineering, I’m an Italian engineer experienced in the professional ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) testing, safe and defensive driving training, eco driving coaching and engineering professional skilled in HMI applied to the automotive environment.
Technology lover and photography pasionate, both analog and digital; in my software kit there are in particular Capture One Pro and the Affinity suite…
I’m Win and Mac user, but I’m looking for a new “technological philosophy” that could mark a change - careful to people and the environment :recycle:

9 Likes

My name is Braden Gibbons.
Technology lover, I guess.
Stumbled across a Verge article about the Framework laptop, though I check it out.
It’s pretty cool.

8 Likes

:raised_hands:
Love this :slight_smile: This is what I’m trying to do as well but never knew how to describe it. Thanks!

7 Likes

Psychology/CMPSC major who has gotten too into the tinkering scene. Been experimenting with raspberry pi’s now and currently my laptop has continued freezing so finding one I could tinker with and use the cpu as its own single board is beyond cool. I am however only a bit worried about the lack of graphics or thunderbolt options and am eagerly awaiting some thunderbolt support.

5 Likes

Discovered this project on Twitter just after it launched and have been following with interest. I’m a music producer/performer in the UK looking for a laptop to produce on the road and to use on stage. Repairability and stability is really important to me, as is system memory and USB performance - no internal USB hubs please! I’m a Fairphone user too, I love that there’s now a laptop project following a similar repairability ethos!

I’d love to replace my day job MBP with a Framework Laptop too running Linux but unfortunately a small but significant part of my job requires XCode :frowning:

5 Likes

Automotive Engineering student from Germany. I love well designed products of any kind. Louis Rossmann “guided” me here, l like the idea. It is true, the notebook form-factor did not change much for 10+ years and possible will not for the next 10+.
Tipping my toe in the FOSS-Developement :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Computer science student, working part time as a software engineer in EU. I’m currently looking for a modular and repairable notebook solution, which supports Linux (favorable Ubuntu derivates) without driver issues (or “out of the box”).

6 Likes

Hello. I’m a electronic technician for Electrode-Chemical Device Inc. Been employed for 16 years. Self taught on computer around 1985. 8088 computer with dual 5.25" floppy disk drive and DOS 3.30. Read the article on Framework at MSNBC website. I’m waiting for Dick Tracy watch to appear as in the comic books. I’m a Bicentennial High School Graduate, class of 1976. Saw the moon landing on a black & white TV, at the age of 11. My grandparents saw more than I could ever witness.

7 Likes

IT guy from Germany using an old Lenovo laptop with Windows every day. Quite sensitive to screen flickering and other things other people don’t sense.
Have been looking for a new laptop for some time with a high quality screen, keyboard, low noise and easy to fix. But couldn’t find one.
For me, a laptop is still the most versatile tool, even with the powerful smartphones and tablets out there today. With the laptop I feel more control over the things and can easily install and modify software as needed. And if something is wrong there is a possibility to analyze things f.e. with a network trace. With a modular hardware I could also change the hardware.
My wishlist: Screen with no PWM (flicker free, this is a must), good colour reproduction (no bluish cast), resolution HD or higher, 15 inch, good keyboard, low fan noise and good fan controller, trackpoint (no endless swiping on the touchpad), Ryzen, LAN, multiple USB ports (mouse, usb stick, dongle etc.) good quality components that lasts, a construction that lasts (no hot spots) and I prefer a matte screen.
The Framework Laptop looks great and I love the aluminium body.
Let’s make it a success!

7 Likes

Looks like your wish came true :wink:

“To maximize eye comfort, we use a DC mode backlight controller instead of a PWM one that can cause visible flickering.”

12 Likes

@Moray_Macdonald Hello! I use the other sustainable phone (Teracube 2e) and I’ve the same issue as you - need macOS XCode (in my case, to build mobile apps). Maybe I’ll just delegate this to a Mac Mini I’ve got around here. Another alternative would be to make a “hackintosh” load run on the Framework - there are legal and ethical considerations, but hypothetically if one had enough Mac hardware, one could decommission one and claim they were moving the license over to the Framework :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi im a tech enthusiast looking for a laptop that was light enough but still pack a punch for nostalgic gaming(ex:emulator playstation, steam etc) and working(ex: autocad,3d max, microsoft project etc). I hope this laptop also include a customize bezzel for the screen to suit the need of 2 in 1 laptop (tablet and laptop) and try to have a 15.6 in screen where nowdays laptop says that it was the best ratio be it for gaming and working…i’ll suggest more as the project work ot ways to realization… thanks…keep at it

5 Likes

Software engineer, gadget and puzzle enthusiast, avid gamer - previous follower of Phonebloks and Project Ara. Even if the specs don’t make this a gaming powerhouse, I firmly support modularity, customization, and the recycling aspect of “don’t throw away the whole unit when one component breaks” as is so often the case these days.

Doing it this way may be less profitable (see planned obsolescence over industries outside of computing too…), but it’s the RIGHT way to do it, and investing time and effort will lend to more scalable concepts and designs over time.

8 Likes

Quasi retired IT professional with mostly Windows server and VMware experience. I always love getting my hands on some new hardware and love the DYI aspect of this project.

6 Likes

Long-time Apple user who moved to Linux Manjaro last year. My main computer remains a mid-2010 iMac computer. I replaced the failed HD with an SSD card, which required using car windshield sucking cups! Although I still have a macOS partition, I spend 99% of my digital time in Manjaro. I’ve been looking into multiple interesting DIY/user upgradable solutions in the laptop and mini form factors. Apart of Framework, the MNT Reform project has caught my eye. Would be great to see some collaboration between the two!

8 Likes

Soon-to-be computer science / technology student looking for a laptop to last me through college (and beyond). Need something portable that’ll grow with me, and that satisfies my need to tinker. Got send here by Louis Rossmann.
I like building my own PCs, and always hated just how restrictive modern laptops are. It really feels impossible to buy anything that’ll last you for a long time, they really don’t make them like the Macbook that lasted my friend 10 years before becoming obsolete…
My main question is what the pricing is going to be like. There’s a lot to be said about saving money by upgrading instead of replacing, but the expansion cards especially feel like the type of gadget that usually comes with a huge price premium.
Another worry of mine is the drivers and bios. Got burned pretty hard by the Lenovo yoga, practically unusable with the Wifi issues and randomly draining battery. Also the processor throttled to hell at low battery, apparently caused by poorimplementation of the Ryzen chip.

7 Likes

Automotive engineer, farmer, general nerd from Missouri. I appreciate things that can be fixed. I’ve always been an Mac user (much to the dismay of my engineering colleagues) but I am not a fan of the post-Steve Jobs Apple philosophy of non-serviceable systems: I always have figured if somebody creates a system, somebody else should be able to work on that system.

I mostly use a computer as an interface between me and instrumented test engines, so the concept of expansion cards sold me. It would be nice to be able to be able to build integrated sensor ports, since a lot of engine sensors use funky plugs. If that’s possible, a Framework would be a one-stop diagnostics machine. I’d still use it to game though.

10 Likes