Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hi

I live in Sydney Australia, and I’ve been monkeying about with PCs for more than 30 years now. At one point, when MP3 players weren’t quite a thing yet, I installed a PC in my car and a 7” touchscreen in the dash of my car. Good times.

I’m super keen to replace my aging Lenovo T420s with a Framework machine, even if that means ordering in the US and figuring out some janky logistics. I usually scan the for um once a week on Saturday, and my first search term is usually ‘Australia’ so I can see who else is stuck in my predicament.

4 Likes

I’ve had Windows reboot my system on 3 occasions after changing the settings to disallow an automatic reboot after update and after disallowing an automatic update all together. This occurred while downloading a 100gb+ file from a crypto coin I hold. This interruption corrupted the file each time and ever since I’ve been preparing myself to leave Windows for Linux. I subsequently discovered framework while searching for a laptop without an os.

The more I read and the more YouTube videos I watched, the more I have found myself in alignment with framework’s principles.

I’m excited to be a part of this and I look forward to new innovations from framework as well as the framework community.

2 Likes

Hi Framework community, I’m Daniel Nerenberg, a long time Tech/IT enthusiast, as a fortunate coincidence I was able to convert that passion into my career. I have consulted and trained, lead teams and done lots of interesting stuff. I have been fortunate enough to travel all over the world. I’m really excited about what Framework is doing, and it’s something I have hoped and wanted for in a laptop manufacturer.

I’m starting a new chapter in my career focusing on the Modern Workplace, and the framework laptop is going to start this chapter with me as my daily driver.

One of the reasons this device inspires me is how it’s a great vehicle to talk about and personify the change I want to see in the world. One of my objectives in my new role will to look for opportunities to talk about how we can all make differences and make positive changes in the world. I believe small personal changes in our daily lives is the start of making big impacts in the world around us.

Excited for what’s next! hope everyone has a great day today!

Daniel

1 Like

Retiree I haven’t used windows in three years. I needed a new laptop and I liked the concept. I am running Manjaro KDE. I have everything working except the finger print reader but I think that is more on me.

2 Likes

Retired Fire Captain, period furniture maker (hobby)
Building my own desktops since 2000
Massive Water Cooled in 2015, in 2018 Water cooled vid card failed and reverted to Air cooled. New build in same case Win10 March, 21
Love the idea of repairable laptop, saw on Linus.

Philadelphia Desk 1790
dan

6 Likes

Hello to You All. I’m a Musician, Junior backend dev/nerd.
I Fell over framework while surfing the youtubes. For those that don’t Know My First experience with a laptop is Thee Macbook 2010 (I think… The white one! the one with snow leopard) I got it for free from a school I attended I had no warranty on the 2th year, it’s death doing a Mac OS update to Lion. I became so mad that day(because no backup and no way to fix it) That I broke it with my bare hands and threw it in the trash. I want so badly to have a future of an upgradable/repairable Laptop that I can’t wait and join this community. I’ve used Desktop most of my Life for their long lifespans and easy repair-ability and replace-ability of parts.

1 Like

Hii~~ I’m a university student majoring in electrical engineering and the moment I saw linus’s video on framework laptops, I fell in love with the concept and though behind it! I hope that framework will be successful and reach out to the bigger markets, if the opportunity rises I would love to become an intern for you guys!

1 Like

Based in the UK. Coming from a bunch of Windows laptops mostly from Asus, a Macbook Pro 2012 which I’m using now, and a Macbook Pro 2018 which has just died and would cost more than a Framework DIY edition for Apple to fix.

Hoping for the Framework UK release soon because that Macbook Pro 2018 is an abomination I should never have bought. The weird thing is that the 2012 version is actually very easy to service - it had a replaceable battery and upgradeable ram and storage. Any Macbook after that has soldered or glued down everything. Also, it seems like the cost has gone up and the reliability has gone down along with the serviceability.

2 Likes

Darsh Gohel from India and I am a Final Year Student and also a Startup Founder working the consumer Market since last 3 year with my Startup and I am Looking forward to work with Framework as Growth Manager as I Have applied today SO Finger’s Crossed

1 Like

Hello! I am a PM at Microsoft working on developer tools! I ordered a Framework today and can’t wait for it to arrive. However, all comments and discussions here will be in a personal capacity unless otherwise noted.

1 Like

I have been a Mac user for >10 years now, currently daily driving a 13’’ 2012 MBP and using a 2017 13’’ MBP at work. I have been waiting for the M1x MBPs but ended up pulling the trigger on the Framework yesterday for personal use. I was convinced after LTT’s coverage and Nirav’s interview with Jason Calacanis.

I am comfortable with the linux terminal but I am not convinced yet that the GUI side can stand up to macOS. My main concerns with the laptop are the trackpad (which I have never seen a non-frustrating one outside of Apple) and consistency of UX, especially keyboard shortcuts. I plan on trying out elementaryOS and zorin. I am excited regardless as I love the concept and want to support the company.

Batch 4 can’t get here soon enough!

P.S. I would love to buy stickers to put on my keycaps to make it match that of a MBP (e.g. framework logo for the “super” key, extra “Fn”, “Control” and “Alt” stickers)

3 Likes

I create Sustainability Intelligence Systems and Materials Management Information Systems for public and private sector clients pursuing a triple bottom line approach to achieving sustainable and equitable growth in a circular economy.

2 Likes

I am a backend QA for a data analytics company. I’ve also taught computer repair and help desk technician skills to many young adults. I have always stressed the importance of reducing e-waste and repairability with technology; when I saw the Framework laptop, I knew I had to help support it! I am very excited to get my own and put a Linux Distro on it. Nice to meet you all!

4 Likes

Greetings! I’m an educator and former bio researcher on the West Coast. Been following Framework since the Ars article about this crazy modular laptop, finally decided to dive in (well, prepare to dive in, given I’m in the November batch).

Total non-Windows novice, but these boards are so chock-full of positive support and helpful tips that even I am confident about making the transition to a Linux laptop.

3 Likes

Greetings! I am student from Germany, that realy likes the idea of a modular laptop(although not wanting to buy a laptop at the moment). I am mostly looking forward to the release of the motherboards as that would give a cool starting point for my first cyberdeck(which could make even more use out of expansion slots as you aren’t limited by size in the same way).
I am currently working on a expansion card that mimics the black magic probe

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m Joey! I work in the broadcast industry in the UK. I think a machine like this is so great for the opportunities and versatility it provides something I am consistently struggling with with current laptops.

What I’d love to see is the opportunity for broadcast/livestream ports as input. Wether this be mini XLR, SDI or HDMI Input, I think it would be great to see that. Though I respect this may not be possible with what it is but would be great to see if it could have visual/pro audio inputs like that! Really intrigued by the development and the possibilities of a laptop like this!

2 Likes

Chocolatier with a background in physics and tech. Just ordered my DIY that will be running Manjaro Linux.

2 Likes

Hi all :wave:
My name is Darren I’m a Scrum Master in Ireland.
I learned about the wonderful work that Framework is doing from linus tech tips and now I’m excited to be here and get invovled with the comminity. I can’t wait for the roll out to come over here will be saving up until that happens so I can be first in line at that time to get a DIY Framework laptop :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey, i’m Ian, I’ve had two laptops so far (neither were new when I got them, I even had to pop in a HDD in my first one when I did get it) and neither are really usable in my opinion (first has a horribly damaged screen, the second was treated poorly by its previous owner which definitely shortened its lifespan harshly).

Between that, the fact that I currently have a functioning desktop, and that I wasn’t keen on buying something so tightly constrained in what you could do with it (so most laptops) left me with zero interest in buying a new one.

Then came the Framework laptop, basically what i’ve been wanting for years; a laptop that’s easy to repair and upgrade, and with swappable I/O to boot, I instantly knew to keep an eye on the project, and after everything I heard about it throughout said time eyeing the project, especially from Linus (particularly his willingness to invest in the company) and Louis Rossmann, I knew that this would be the first new laptop I buy (and hopefully last)

1 Like

Hi, everyone! I’m Pat.
Since I am a Catholic Priest and have no family, I’ve tinkered with computers since the early days.

My first computer was an AT&T PC 6300, given to me as a college present. I was sooo excited. I had only worked on the old Radio Shack TRS-80. This tells you I’m an old fart.

3 Likes