Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Hello all. I’m a bit of a tech addict and I’m not-so-patiently awaiting the shipment of my batch 4, DIY edition Framework Laptop.

I love the idea of a laptop where all the parts are not only replaceable, but USER replaceable. Even simple stuff like a display hinge. I’ve dealt with loose and broken…just about everything on laptops and other devices over the years and it’s always such a pain to get anything fixed. I’ve always fixed my own vehicles and whatever else, but with tech, it often wasn’t practical or even possible. I don’t even need a laptop right now, but I was excited to support what FrameWork is doing and I’m excited to start tinkering with my new laptop.

3 Likes

Hi all, software engineer in Europe. I learned about framework from hacker news a few months ago. Highly anticipating a launch in Europe, which hopefully will happen before I need a new laptop. The whole package of framework seems very appealing to me and I want to support that.

1 Like

Hello there! Loving the modularity of this machine so far! I only have one complaint, and that’s battery life. It feels like the battery drains intensely fast.

1 Like

Hello there Framework Team! Huge fan of your product so far, finally a Laptop which is easy to fix! Just waiting for the otpion to get it in switzerland:)
Probably off-topic but is there a expansion card with ethernet(RJ45) available? Thats the one thing missing imo.
Keep up the good work
Greetings from Switzerland

2 Likes

Not yet but it’s coming.

Official: What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

Community: Ethernet Expansion Card

The main problem is that the expansion card isn’t tall enough so some sort of hinged port is required. That and there’s very little space inside the expansion card.

1 Like

Ah, I see. But good hear that there is one in production:)

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m a mechanical engineer by education and license, but I have spent a majority of my career doing systems and project engineering with a little program management. I learned about Framework from LTT. My current personal computer is a 2014 MacBook Pro, but prior to that I used a Thinkpad X60 that I upgraded a few times to extend its life.

I’m looking for a new laptop to do some personal projects: a little coding and some CAD. The latter is really where I need an upgrade. Integrated graphics on a seven year old dual core just can’t do it. Plus MacOS isn’t particularly well supported by CAD vendors. I love the concept of Framework (repairable and eco conscious), but I may wait for a larger model with more processing oomph.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m just a pc emthusiest and I learned about framework through engadget and have been lurking the forums near everyday looking at people’s experiences. While it’ll be a couple years before I can afford this (hoping my 2015 asus can last that long), I am so excited to get this when I can.

1 Like

I am David and I like tech, especially Apple. I don’t like a lot of their decisions, though, like their anti-repair practices in MacBooks, iPhones, and their “repair” programs.

2 Likes

Hi, I am Karthikeyan, a tech guy from Chennai, India. Ruby on Rails developer by profession and perfecting my Data Science Skills. I am founder of https://doneit.in a productivity app.

I bought a Mac M1 but am always bothered about it, its highly performant, but its proprietary and can’t be tinkered. I am really excited about Framework.

If Framework is available in India, I would like to buy it and use it with GNU/Linux.

So please please please, make it available in India.

1 Like

Kia ora koutou :slight_smile:

I’m Aiden, I live in NZ. I’ve got an XPS 13, 9380, that has taken a bump or two, and now needs to be replaced! I’m not really willing to buy another laptop that isn’t easily repaired, so I’m holding out until you guys can ship to NZ… Alternatively, I might see if I can get it here unofficially. :wink:

Love your work. I’m a software developer and would be interested in contributing code to any firmware you might be building also.

Cheers,
Aiden

3 Likes

Im a Barista manager with a photographer content creator. Im a long time pc builder enthusiast and need to remplace my Lenovo Gen 3 X1 Carbon and always love the small form factor with at least some repairability after a bad experience with a Surface 3.

I just hope they made a expension card for full size SD cars (now i use MicroSD in my camera but it’s not the best)

1 Like

Hey y’all

def background(me):
  print("""
    Fledgling data scientist, space nerd, pursuing a degree in astrophysics. \n
    Background in business analytics and economics. \n
    Dreams of using data skills to research space stuff. \n
    Mac user for over a decade and has built several Windows machines for gaming. \n
    Super excited to build this laptop into a Linux-based data box.
    """)
2 Likes

been in the IT industry for 20 years now, been servicing mainly Dell business laptops for the past 8 years. since the usb C was invented they are serviced even more because that port is broken so often… one V nice feature of this laptop, the card can just be replaced for 9 dollars! brilliant
I learned about Framework from Linus tech tips YouTube…
ultimately right now I am trying to find out which Distro fully works with Wifi and Bluetooth as they will be used Heavily once I receive my laptop

1 Like

Hi. Been a software engineer for 4 years. Heard about Framework from a friend. Don’t have a personal laptop. So I’m excited to build my own Framework DIY, try Linux, and get going on my own side projects! I’m hoping that working on stuff I like keeps up my interest in software development. In the community, I’m excited to see how others express themselves with their Framework builds.

2 Likes

Hello,

My name is Chris and I’m a software engineer, mostly interested in optimising performance of web apps, nowadays mostly Ruby and Ruby on Rails.

I’m located in Poland, so I can’t wait for the framework laptop to be available in EU. While I’m happy with my new arm-based MBP I’d love to finally have a good Linux option for a configurable and upgradeable laptop. I always go for a Linux-based desktop (because I can pick the parts I want) and a macOS-based notebook (mostly for better user support), but I would be very happy for this to change.

2 Likes

Ken Wiens
Retired Project Manager and Management Consultant, focused mainly on large scale ERP and ETRM (Energy Trading & Risk Management) enterprise wide implementations. Started my career (43 years ago) back in the mainframe world (Univac) as a developer and operating systems internalist. My last laptop was a laptop/tablet from HP that had faithfully served me for over 10 years. I replaced the battery several times, upgraded memory and did multiple upgrades in storage (from a standard HD to hybrid to SSD). It still outperforms all budget / mid spec laptops available today, but it is getting increasingly difficult to find batteries and larger drives in the unique format that HP used. I was very disappointed to see that new laptops today offered me no opportunity for upgrades (or even battery replacement) - so the framework was almost exactly what I was looking for. I fully expect the framework to last me another 10 years.

3 Likes

Hello all
I am a retired trucker and avid gadget geek. Waiting for my batch 5 DIY. I will probably have lots of questions.

4 Likes

Hi!

I am a robotics engineer and I generally love tinkering. Just received my laptop a day ago and rolling OSes now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi,

My name’s Josh, Just Josh. Apparently I make Youtube videos on laptops :stuck_out_tongue:

Also occasionally moonlight as a software developer and product manager

Thought i’d say hi as I type up my #framework-laptop review

If there is anything you’d like me to know and potentially mention in the review. Give me a @Just_Josh mention in the correct discussion

6 Likes