Western Digital Drive Update Guide Without Windows/WD Dashboard

The script worked like a charm to upgrade an SN850X 1TB from 620331WD to 620361WD. Thank you very much!

2 Likes

deleted my fork, changes now incorporated into original script

3 Likes

Thanks to you and @not_a_feature the script worked beautifully.

1 Like

I’ve been watching this thread while getting increasingly irritated by my WD SN770’s propensity to flub a wake-from-s2-idle and cause the kernel to remount all my filesystems read-only.

Yesterday, irritation exceeded trepidation and encouraged by @Klaas successfully hacking on @not_a_feature’s script I decided to take the plunge. In case it matters:

$ uname -r
6.1.0-1027-oem
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Linuxmint
Description:	Linux Mint 21.1
Release:	21.1
Codename:	vera

My first attempt at running the script failed. The output gave me the clue I needed. Mint does not include the nvme-cli package and so the command-line tools were not available.
Suggestion: the script be modified to check this and bale early. Happy to submit a patch (not sure it warrats a pull request).

With nvme-cli installed the script ran and produced some unexpected and faintly troubling output.

Model: WD_BLACK SN770 500GB
Firmware Revision: 731030WD

Firmware File: 731120WD.fluf
Dependencies:
731030WD
731100WD

Downloading firmware from https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/firmware/WD_BLACK_SN770_500GB/731120WD/731120WD.fluf...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 2732k  100 2732k    0     0  2442k      0  0:00:01  0:00:01 --:--:-- 2443k

Firmware download success
Firmware download complete. Switching to new firmware...
Success committing firmware action:3 slot:2
Multiple Update Detected (MUD) Value: 2202615
Detected an overlapping firmware/boot partition image update command sequence due to processing a command from a Management Endpoint
Detected an overlapping firmware/boot partition image update command sequence due to processing a command from an Admin SQ on a controller
Firmware update process completed. Please reboot.

I steeled myself for a bricked SSD and rebooted. Happily, everything seemed peachy (and continues to be so).

$ cat /sys/class/nvme/nvme0/firmware_rev
731120WD

Perhaps one of you knowledgeable contributors could help NVMe newbies (like me) understand what ‘Multiple Update’ means in this context.

Thanks for making this available. I’ll report back if it didn’t fix my read-only filesystem problem.

Dino

2 Likes

Hi,

that’s a wonderful suggestion.

I’ve add the requirements checks and converted the gist into a proper repository.

2 Likes

Reporting back to say that since I updated its firmware to 731120WD my WD_BLACK SN770 (details above) has not failed on wake from S2idle in 35 days.

I can’t say that the relationship between S2idle events and drive failures was random but there was no discernible pattern to those failures. Most often the drive would fail every other week although there were several failures that were separated by only a day or two. The longest run between failures was 9 weeks but that was an outlier.

My Framework 13 enters S2idle at least once a day; often many times more. I almost never shut it down. The same usage profile has continued since the firmware was updated.

I’m declaring this a success but will return to update you if the problem ever recurs.

Dino

1 Like

:warning: News: Use the interactive tool wd-fw-update.

1 Like

Thank you for the FW guide, successfully upgraded my SN740 2TB FW by a SN770M one.

So far no issues switching from 73110000 to 731120WD

Hope now my dell would stop freezing after deep sleep

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: WD Green SSD Firmware Download Failed