What about touch screens?

Hey there o/ I’m new to the community and interested in the concept of an highly upgradable and repairable laptop. My work sometimes requires a touch screen to take notes, to make sketches or drawings… Maybe it could be a nice add on or exchange part to supply a display module (which maybe is a bit thicker) with underlying touch screen. Maybe in a next generation of these or as compatible exchange part if that is possible. Please let me know what you think about that :smiley:

4 Likes

I believe it’s been said before that the display adapter could support touchscreens, so it is theoretically possible but iirc they don’t have any plans for it at the moment.

3 Likes

If I don’t get an internal touch screen I will buy an external touch screen (w/ pen and all the things that make life in drawing things easyer :D) for it - could be useful anyway. I would prefer to have an internal touch screen with wacom pen support, but there is a workaround…

Frame.work hasn’t stated any plans to release a touchscreen, but the display adapter can support them - I haven’t heard of any user installing one on their own, either. I’d be interested in hearing of someone doing that - AND, if Frame.work ever offered it as an upgrade, I’d buy a touchscreen panel.

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . .
/s

anyone can link me the display adapter specs and connector models…? Maybe I can cad some casing in my spare time…

1 Like

I don’t know if this would be enough for full specs, but the screen itself is on the marketplace here: Framework | Display Kit and the housing for it (plus the webcam etc) is here: Framework | Top Cover Kit.

I’m in the same boat as you but without the CAD etc skills, so will be very interested to see what you can come up with.

They wanted to provide their digital models - I want modify them to match the space needed for a capacitive touch sensor layer… and print me a back cover for prototype ^^ or if it is enough space then I dont have to modify it ^^