What batch am I? (Is it even relevant anymore?)

@Matt_Falcon, have you checked to see what the motherboard model number is under MSINFO32?

Windows + R → “msinfo32.exe” → System Summary → Baseboard Product

Linux has ‘dmidecode’ which lists a SKU Number and Family, but I am not sure if either is a 1:1.

On Linux I am looking at a FRANBMCP## number, mine being 0B, and the serial number having a FRANBMCP## prefix but with AB instead of 0B.

I have not yet researched these, but if yours are different then it may help?

Are you needing support with the items you mentioned in the top of the thread?

Were you able to adjust the Hibernation settings? What level of the power options have you tried? Adjusting the Slider? Power under the Settings app? Classic Control Panel Power Options? Windows Mobility Center? PowerCFG from PowerShell?

I’ve got FRANBMCP0B as well there. :thinking:

Well, kinda, but not really. It’s just something I’ve lumped in with “annoyances of so-called ‘modern’ laptops” that includes things like button-less touchpads (I stuck a strip of VHB tape that blocks touch and emulates a button - works pretty well but the touchpad still slide-clicks like jank far more than it should), the lack of real sleep (“modern standby”), WiFi issues after waking, aaaand these little odd ones I can’t seem to find any consolation with.

Of course - I was just noting that the default option was set to 20 minutes, which struck me as insanely aggressive. Something in firmware seems to have told it to do that, but when I say that, I don’t see any agreement - it’s like I’m the only one with a computer that did that.

This is the only option I have - and the power slider is independent of Windows’ classic controls. However, this slider doesn’t work as well as needed, sometimes, in rare occasions when I need LESS performance to conserve battery. In those cases, I would normally go to “Processor Power Management” and tweak things there.

That’s it, that’s the entire page. A bit unusual, no? It was here that I saw the default setting for hibernate was 20 minutes (Sleep->Hibernate after->On battery = 20 minutes). Of course, I set that to never. Thanks to the drain of Modern Standby, I use hibernate (Win+R, shutdown -h) when I know I’m not going to use the computer for several hours (e.g. end of the day) or need to conserve the last few percent (at 20%, say).

Settings app power options page always has been useless :wink: Mobility Center is a Win7 thing. powercfg is a cmd utility (screw PowerShell, lol) that I only break-out when I get REALLY desperate trying to change/fix something. :wink:

2022 Tempo audio Framework for a designation?

I am not sure when they switched to the Tempo chip. I’m using a Batch 5 which Linux lists as using an Intel PCH HD Audio device, so I would not be able to pull the VEN or PID from device manager for the Tempo device.

(Edit 4/1/2022): Rebooted into Windows, and my Framework has VEN_111D&DEV_7695.
The driver utility detects Tempo audio. No sign of a Realtek device.
VEN8086&DEV_2812 is shown as not attached.

Windows + R → mblctr

A Windows 7 thing sure, but it is still around in Windows 11.

Not really, Microsoft has been shrinking that page down with every subsequent release on my Surface Pro 4. I have been forced to switch to PowerCFG in order to mitigate flickergate as Microsoft has also dropped a lot of the registry keys for that page as well.

I’ll have to load Windows 11 on my spare drive again and see what it shows. In my research I came across something that indicates the sleep modes are chained together, and that the hibernate timer might not be 20 minutes from idle, but 20 minutes from modern standby or so, and thus necessitating a more aggressive setting.

1 Like

Oh, but no, this isn’t to do with the page itself - you can use the same install media, and install it on two different computers, and get each of those results. These are, actually, using the same version of Windows. That’s where I say - hell, try it! When you deal with many different computer models, these sorts of things start to really jump out at you. Something in/about the computer is making Windows choose not to show those options. Probably the same suite of stuff that comprises :open_hands: modern standby :open_hands:

Just not with Windows 11 :joy: ewww. No, Windows 10 at least until MS walks back the “it’s broken but yolo ship it” style of Windows 11…

Maybe. My first thought is that Windows appears to pull some default values from system firmware somehow. I don’t know the mechanism (most likely ACPI, which is made for that purpose), but in particular note, over history it seems every laptop model has had its own Goldilocks settings for “reserve battery level” and “critical battery level” (low battery is almost always 20%). Low at 10%, critical at 5%… low at 7%, critical at 3%, low at 5% and critical at 1%? All up to the manufacturer.

Thus, why I immediately jumped to concluding that system firmware also put the default value for hibernate in there - though it’s increasingly likely that’s just one of many “adaptations” Windows makes when it sees that the system is “modern standby” capable (i.e. removing settings, abstracting stuff, making things more “modern” which is to say “you don’t have any control anymore”). So, that could just be a side effect of Modern Standby.

But counter to that hypothesis, others report having “Processor Power Management” options available, as well as giving me a look of weirdness when I say “hibernate was set to 20 minutes”. Then again, the same folks in the same breath also say “hibernate hasn’t been a thing since like 2010”, to which I can only laugh and no longer be sure if they even know what’s going on :joy:

I guess it is, thus, an open question as to whether it’s one of many settings Windows silently “gives to you” during Setup if it detects a “modern computer” (god I feel a little sick calling it modern - like this is just the new normal), and that setting is the same for any computer it detects Modern Standby support for, vs. legacy computers (like my 2013 Dell Latitude E7440 which has been in actual “suspend-to-RAM” with power LED pulsing, for 4 straight days now and only went from 55% battery to 40% battery - tell me that needed improvement?).

Oof, I’m ranty. So many things about computers past that I just wish were improved, but instead, … we got clickpads and Modern Standby (idling and hibernate in a trenchcoat).

(you can tell I love the Framework’s keyboard, though. I’ll reserve my one minor gripe and just say it’s a pure win :slight_smile: )

@Matt_Falcon - replying here so as not to continue to hijack the batch 10 thread - @moderators, is it possible to move the relevant posts from that thread (here: Batch 10 Guild - #19 by Matt_Falcon) into this one?

Batch 1 i7-1165G7 Windows 10:
Capture

Batch 6 i5-1135G7 Windows 11:
Screenshot 2022-03-26 124415

1 Like

Poking my head in here because I am DEEPLY frustrated with the useless responses I’m getting in my other thread…

Batch numbers have been obsolete (for US shipments at least) since before this thread (regarding a US shipment) was even started. How are any of you (US users) even seeing anything regarding a batch number? There simply IS no batch number shown anywhere on any of my correspondence with Framework, nowhere on the site, nowhere except the forum. It’s like I bought it from an entirely different company (thought it was this very website).

(I already have my laptop - but my concern is with finding community in other people with the same revision… mine was shipped first week of Feb 2022 and used it daily ever since)

It’s really frustrating being “batch-homeless” as there’s nobody I can find that has the same build revision I have, to talk about issues with/experiences with.

@Matt_Falcon - it’s possible that they stopped them after my order, but when I check my orders on my account, the one that I ordered just before the EOY holidays indicates: “Delivery Batch 6”

Perhaps once they had sufficient stock to fulfill orders immediately the batching was discontinued in the US.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve heard that quite a few times lately (it’s the frustrating non-answer I keep getting). Batches determined revision numbers, though, it seems. It’s just that batches were, for lack of a more clear designation of revision number, a way to indicate what revision you had.

Now, it’s more like Apple - on the outside it’s just printed “Framework” (like “iPhone”), and you’ve got to dig in or have external knowledge as to whether it’s a 6, 7, 8, etc. But so far, I haven’t been able to find any distinction between revisions outside of batch number - to which I don’t know what mine is, because some group of folks at Framework didn’t think it was useful for US shipments anymore :sob:

I posted the above before I saw the other thread. That order was placed on 12/11, if that helps any wrt figuring out revision. If there’s anything specific that you’d like to know or have tested let me know. I use a batch one (rev 1?) as my primary machine. The newer one is a family/test machine, so I have more latitude to fiddle around with it.

1 Like

Interesting. Well, I would love to compare Windows power plan settings pages between the two - if you’re a Windows guy. This page, on mine, has always been barren - and it came with a strange default setting of 20 minutes for hibernate time (I changed it to “never”, of course, as I hibernate when/where needed by myself with “shutdown -h”). I really don’t care to burn out the SSD that quickly! haha.

It’s a bit barren, compared to the typical power plan page on any other computer – like the computer I’m increasingly considering my “dream PC” (if it weren’t horribly overpowered with an unnecessary dedicated GPU), a ThinkPad P52:

That’s what a power plan page SHOULD look like :joy: But this computer doesn’t do any of that “modern standby” stuff - and it even has real touchpad buttons :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I only want to know what the heck revision my computer is, as to what group of owners I belong to.

Keep in mind everyone here must treat everyone else with respect. With that in mind I’ve had to delete some posts and edit others.

We’ll keep the thread open for now because @Matt_Falcon deserves help and answers to his legitimate questions, but if things degenerate further this thread will be closed.

5 Likes

Ignoring the power plan options, which is a Windows issue, as it’s not Batch related.

Your assumption about batch and revision is just that, an assumption.

I have seen no evident that two or more batches don’t have the same hardware and firmware setup.

No doubt some batches may and do have but they are not dependent, so maybe you are asking for something that only exists in your mind any hence no one can help.

Where did you get this idea that batches relate to revisions? Because they are coincident in some cases ???

1 Like

Tempo audio chip change in particular (leaving the driver pack feeling incomplete/broken, as if for another model, because there’s no driver for Tempo, leaving me with “High Definition Audio Device”). My experience with being part of a small company and shipping ever-changing revisions also had a lot to do with it (it wasn’t even organized enough to call things “batches” - just a constant churn of revisions on-the-fly; everyone got whatever version we had at the time). Everyone seemed to know “their batch” except for me. Thus, this change to remove batch numbers because they were deemed “irrelevant” left me feeling homeless in the community - a computer with no group identity, no point-in-time I can say “hey I have a Batch 8” and everyone immediately knows what point-in-time that refers to. Whether Batch 8 and 9, 10 are the same is irrelevant - I can say I have a Batch 8 and know that’s what it is, what it has, and who else has a similar one.

That was my goal here with asking, and why I think it’s still good to know. If it isn’t possible to clearly refer to US shipments as batches anymore, there ought to at least be some other way to refer to ourselves as such a point-in-time model of machine. (like a v1.03 motherboard - something!)

All I ask is for some sort of identity, because it’s very clear that a Batch 1 isn’t quite the same as a Batch 8 (Realtek vs Tempo, at the bare minimum - heard murmurs of other uncertain changes). At the moment, all there is to go by is “Batch #”, even if that’s not the most relevant detail - it provides grounding for people to refer to their builds.

@amoun makes a good point.

At first, all shipments were in limited quantity batches. They probably were all manufactured at once so they all had identical hardware. Then feedback came back about improvements that should be made. So Batch 2 incorporated some improvements, batch 3 some more, batch 4 a few more, etc. Each batch is effectively its own revision.

Then things start to get fuzzier. The accelerometer gets dropped and the Tempo chip gets substituted. @RandomUser says this was Batch 4 but I have a Batch 4 and I don’t have a Tempo chip and I do have an accelerometer. So Batch 5? 6?

The announcement that orders for the U.S. and Canada will be filled from stock comes around Batch 8. Batches 8, 9 and 10 are larger quantity batches, likely allocated from the even larger batches going to build stock for the U.S. and Canada. Perhaps they’re even being continuously manufactured by then. By that point, it’s impossible to tell which batch a U.S./Canada unit is. Revisions are still occurring, @RandomUser referred to an alternate source FET, for example, but it’s not clear cut or easy to identify.

Yes, revision numbers would be useful. Perhaps we could decode the FRANBMCP serial numbers?

It could also be that it’s not very relevant at this point. If you have an issue, others in your revision might have the same issue, or they might not. But others in other revisions may also have the same issue. There really doesn’t seem to be any consistency and things don’t seem directly attributable to batches or revisions at this point. This is based on looking at many, many threads.

1 Like

Around batch 4, Framework ran into supply chain issues with the sound cards. After I ordered my Batch 5, I visited the forums around the time Batch 4 was being received with the Tempo sound card. At that time, Batch 5 was a mixed bag. I had hoped the would still be shipping accelerometer in my batch 5.

3 Likes

Yeah, my Batch 4 unit has a Tempo chip and shipped with 3.06. Sometime mid-batch they likely had to make the revision, or used up what stock they had left.

2 Likes

I completely understand the need to gauge what group your laptop was originally in. I am US, recieving mine around April 1st and was informed that no batch applied to me. It was a little frustrating, but when I needed help, Framework was stand up! That’s really what matters in the long run.

3 Likes

Maybe this “no batch” thing was because they were preparing 12th gen laptop + mod to the lid and hinges… It was the last batch of its kind. Meaning they produced the last orders + some extras to fill the gap before the shipment of 12th gen batches.
Ordered a 12th gen 1 month ago on “batch 2”

1 Like