What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

@Josh_Cook
My phone works just fine as an FM Receiver, without any interference issues. I can’t see how it should be a problem in a laptop? I’m talking only about a receiver, not transmitter. But maybe I am missing something?
I imagine the legal situation should be fine, if its just a receiver. And as soon as it is sold via the marketplace, it hardly counts as DIY anymore.

Would love to see USB-A and USB-C on a single expansion card, even at the cost of losing DisplayPort Alt Mode and charging capabilities on that single card (I just hope that USB transfer speeds won’t get hit too hard).

That way I can have one USB-C for charging, USB A & C for general use, and both HDMI and DisplayPort. I would love that

1 Like

A good quality RS-232 serial port would be awesome in my book (not sure if that falls under “microcontroller” in the poll?) Ethernet is a must, too (and multi-gig 2.5/5G Ethernet would be even cooler!)

2 Likes

@dogcow Already being worked on! Currently for router management but can be made for standard RS-232 use.

1 Like

@Shawn_Lewis Interesting idea. I wonder if magnetic resonance charging or inductive charging coils could be installed internally (assuming the metal chassis isn’t interfering) no holes in the desk required.

Totally dumb but I have Gameboy link ports from other projects and was curious if they would fit. Nope not even close.

Even without the pcb the port itself is bigger than the cards.

If you did a gold finger pcb the plug would work…so that’s an option.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll bite, where did you find that cable and what do they call it.

@ImaxinarDM From Amazon. Normal place.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerline-Certified-Delivery-Chromebook/dp/B07SNS51RK

2 Likes

Wow. When I saw the image before I was sure it must be photoshopped since it seemed too specialized for an Anker product.

3 Likes

Is a combined USB-PD port +Ethernet card would be feasible?
Because otherwise, I won’t have a free port, after I plug in the power adapter, the ethernet, and 2 external displays.

Impossible, would cost 300 dollars or so.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerExpand-Ethernet-Delivery-MacBook/dp/B08C9HZ5YT

It is definitely not $300.

1 Like

Alright, you are comparing a company with industry contacts that can make their own silicon and a individual or small company which means we have to use off the shelf parts.

2 Likes

That would be nowhere near 300.

The major consideration here would be space. I expect the Ethernet port would have to be of the expanding variety, or the module would be of a nonstandard thickness.

Maybe it would be more feasible to get an iMac style charging brick / docking station, but only using USB 3.2x2 standard for data (cost), while doing DC conversion power delivery

First of all a 10gig bridge chip is about 100 dollars plus a hub for the two USB C devices and a PD controller aswell as all the magnetics and transformers so around the 250 200 mark.

1 Like

@Twocuddlefish if you look at my previous post above,

I was wondering if you’d be kind enough to use your digital calipers and get a true measurement of the rubber strip I refer to as the “feet.”

Trying to determine how much a developer could potentially add to a module to put alternative PCBs or hardware inside.

@Keith_J_Brett hard to get perfectly consistent measurements but looks like the nominal height for the rear is 3mm and front is 2mm.

Rear foot: 2.8mm-3.1mm

Front feet: 1.9mm-2.1mm

2 Likes

@ Matyas_Baranyai or anyone else, have you seen a USB-C hub that has multiple USB-C connections, kind of like the common USB-A hubs? I would love one to put modules in for, say, sometimes switching my multiple monitor arrangement from the Desktop to the Framework.

I’ve been looking for something similar, or even PCBs with such a design on it. My thought is that it would be sweet to have a rack of expansion cards to function as a modular USB 3.0 or USB 3.1G2 Hub.

@Josh_Cook your numbers make more sense now, but only because you’re talking about 10gbps networking. The original comment we were replying to was only talking about Ethernet, which I assume to mean gigabit. those cost nothing, and don’t need any heat dissipation.

On that note though, I think 10gbe is excessive for most people, but 2.5gbe for an ultralight would be really interesting. Those are more moderately priced, don’t need beefy cooling, and we’re starting to see affordable 2.5gbe consumer switches that use rj45 ports.

1 Like