What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

Yea nah, 2.5 gig is very hard for a IC to support 2.5 gig let alone 1 gig without going 200-300 dollars. I can only find two chips that support 1 gig and are 30 bucks each. For type c that is.

3 Likes

Off the top of my head, I think a magsafe like power connector would be helpful.

Also interested in a 5G cellular data option.

Super nice to have would be hidden USB-A for Logitech dongle.

April fools type would be an Atari/Genesis controller port.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s something for a larger future modelā€¦ make a longer (and slightly wider) expansion card&bay so you can slot your own 2230 (or even 2242) Nvme SSD in it and install it.

1 Like

@Michael_Zornek iā€™m not sure a cellular modem would be doable as any usb ones you can buy today are very bulky when compared to the expansion cards discussed here.

It might be possible with this part though: https://www.eenewseurope.com/news/murata-claims-smallest-nb-iot-cellular-modem

1 Like

Some ideas for Expansion Cards:

1.) GPS
2.) Software Defined Radio
3.) Ham Radio MMDVM Module
4.) Stemma QT port for sensors

3 Likes

I like the ideas, you should post instead in the megathread.

Nice idea, can I add few more ideas?

1. A edge-opened fingerprint scanner
  2. Mag-Safe charger
  3. Programmable buttons (somewhat like gaming mouse buttons, but on-edge of expansion card)
1 Like

That QT connector Iā€™m building into my Swiss army knife expansion card for UART, TTL.

• USB A adapter with a space inside to handle the Logitech USB adapter or other mouse/keyboard adapters to hide them.
  • Hi-Fi DAC Module with Audio Output
2 Likes

Seriously people, I do love the suggestions but please keep this in the megathread. Many of these have already been posted by previous users, and keeping the suggestions in the same place makes it easier for community makers to peruse your ideas :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know it probably breaks the design philosophy, but how about a dongle like module? Most of the electronics inside, but then cords coming out so multiple things can be plugged in?

Other (possibly dumb) ideas:

Storage with a Male USB A module: To make transferring data between the framework and a computer without a type c port easy.

Male USB C: For charging your phone without carrying a cable.

Software key: basically pull it out to remove access to certain files / programs, if you want to let someone use your laptop.

Screwdriver: In case you need to repair your framework on the go.

Storage with a Male USB A module

That is a great idea! Even cooler if the USB-A plug can retract into the module so that itā€™s out of the way in normal use. Then when you need to transfer data, just pop it out, extend the USB-A port, and transfer files.

Another solution that would work for this would be to have a micro type-B connector on the outer edge, so you can still connect it to another device, but with a patch cord. That might be easier to fit into the expansion card dimensions, and it gives the user the ability to choose the right kind of cable ā€“ micro to full size A, or micro to C, etc.

If you go with ā€œHigh Fidelity Audio Output,ā€ please go all the way and make it a full-fledged ASIO compatible interface, with dedicated mic input and such. We music, audio, and video people would LOVE that, especially since Windows audio drivers for music production tend to suck. ASIO4ALL has always been an imperfect solution thatā€™s hit or miss.

2 Likes

A micro usb female expansion card will be released soon, it will include a male to male adapter so if you would like to charge your old phone or need to charge one of your DIY projects that use micro USB you can easily charge it!

1 Like

FM-Receiver with a new audio in-/ouput.
It would be amazing to have a FM-Receiver in there as well (using a headphone cable as antenna). Maybe it can even be combined with a high fidelity audio interface?

As of now, I either need to have a good internet connection, or use the very crappy audio from my phone if I donā€™t want to carry something extra to listen to radio. So this would be a huge plus!

2 Likes

I would not want to do anything radio frequencyā€™s as it may mess up the laptop with interference and also some countries ban DIY radio receivers and transmitters.

1 Like

I really want more ports, single module with both a USb c port that could be used for charging, and a USb a. I donā€™t care if the USB c port loses thunderbolt functionality in this module.

I would like an expansion card that has a downward-facing USB type c port. That way I can hide the charge and docking cable below the laptop for a cleaner desk look. Iā€™ll have to drill a hole in the desk, but thatā€™s ok.

I just donā€™t want to have to use a cable like this:

6 Likes

@Shawn_Lewis Hey, Now Iā€™m seeing something very cool ideas around framework expansion cards. This is great.

@Shawn_Lewis Good idea, I will start developing it as should be easy, apart from the 3d modelling and finding a receptacle that could work in that application.

3 Likes