What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

HDMI input

Perhaps work with elgato. It would function exactly like their CamLink:
6316580_rd

Bonus points if it could also function as an HDMI output.

4 Likes

Are there currently devices that you can buy that have this capability? Is it something that can be jerryrigged into the form factor of a framework card?

Edit: I have found this device on Amazon with these (claimed) dimensions:

It says that it can capture 4k @ 60fps but I highly doubt that. It could probably be reverse engineered and fabbed into something the size of a Framework card, but I have worries about heat.

2 Likes

You would be able to have a heat sink that taps into an aluminium lid that would help with cooling.

A lot of headphones support balanced audio now (https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Balanced-2-5mm-Replacement-Cable/dp/B07QRF4QFW), so a DAC that can output that would be nice.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be in the minority here, yet I want an official framework card which is a USB C connector, available for charging, without any data lines. The idea of random chargers being an attack vector is not something I appreciate, yet I also appreciate the form and aesthetics of my current cards and donā€™t want a 3D printed part.

Also 2 TB external storage, as Iā€™m sure has been said.

6 Likes

Youā€™re definitely not in the minority. Hijacked charging stations are a serious concern. There are some inexpensive things you can put at the end of a cord, though like this one. I forget where I got it. I think theyā€™re called ā€œdata blockersā€.

6 Likes

Expansion card with the Raspberry Pi RP2040! It can fit on some pretty small PCBs like this Adafruit Trinkey Overview | Adafruit Trinkey QT2040 | Adafruit Learning System

3 Likes

@slickmann1 lookup ā€œusb condomsā€

3 Likes

usb expansion cards are only 9$- you could just buy another one, open it up and cut the data lines with an exacto knife

3 Likes

6 Likes

reddit.com/r/thanksihateit

1 Like

usb expansion cards are only 9$- you could just buy another one, open it up and cut the data lines with an exacto knife

I absolutely debated doing that. I decided I didnā€™t want to manually cut pins of my laptopā€™s main power feed though. One wrong move and I bridge a few lines andā€¦ Would much rather a clean and proper solution from the source

I might do this, should be pretty simple, just gotta complete the Ethernet expansion card and I will do this.

1 Like

I would not worry about that since the charging cord must be simple in order to keep the diameter they currently have (two power line, two data line).
You MUST have the two data lines for the power handshake to work (e.g., framework laptop asking the power brick to deliver 20V and says it will not draw over 3.25A). But other lanes such as
You can DIY one by buying a framework USB-C expansion card and cut the data traces so they will not conduct.

The charging communication is over CC1 and CC2 (one for orientation detection and one for communication). You will need to keep all GND lines and all VBUS but D+, D- (USB 2 interface) and all the RX and TX lines (USB 3 interface) can be cut, as well as SBU (display port alt mode indicator)

6 Likes

Thanks for the context. Iā€™m used to USB 2 so if I do ever try this, itā€™s much appreciated. As for concern, a charging brick could easily store hardware, and then itā€™s just routing a couple extra cables. I believe any competent attacker could make it work.

1 Like

you also know that a very easy way to stop malware from auto-launching on external storage is to disable Autoplay, right?
This way you will never worry about anything you plug into your computer. And your favorite antivirus program will warn you about it before anything bad could happen.
Of course, there are other USB devices (e.g., usb keyboard hack maybe) a hacker can enumerate, so if you really want the extra step, you can take it.

2 Likes

I donā€™t run Windows, donā€™t have any form of autoplay, and do stay up to date with security patches. Iā€™m mainly concerned about USB HID impersonation.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to see a FireWire 400 + FireWire 800 card (though Iā€™m not sure how doable that would be, especially with the voltage conversion).

1 Like

im know people brought up the wheel thing before, but this brought a few things to mind that might not have been mentioned. 1: i think asus makes a laptop with a wheel like this on the top and its programmable, so being able to customize functions would be great. the second thing is that i own a corsair keyboard with a programable wheel, so yeah. would be pretty neat to have

1 Like

For a wheel to stick out on the top would mean a bulge sticking out of the laptop, and I donā€™t think that would fit the current aesthetics of the aluminum chassis.

Shameless plug:

Honestly, Iā€™d say itā€™s crude at the moment, but there are ways that it can be improved later on. Currently, I have not found any rotary encoders that would fit within 2mm (in height) while sporting a knob wheel, so itā€™s not possible fit it in a standard expansion card form.

3 Likes