What new Expansion Card types do you want to see released?

i can see a request or opportunity for COM port Modules for those field engineers enthusiasts ect. business and home lab enthusiasts dont have to rely on just a cable + comport to usb
as a thougt. neesh market but still valuable.

1 Like

An NFC reader and a FIDO key. I love my Yubikey nano with a push button when I need to press to authenticate or decrypt.

2 Likes

Partner with Logitech to make Logitech Unifying Receiver Expansion Card.
Maybe a 2-port hub (internal unifying + external USB 3.0)
Obviously ā€œinternal unifyingā€ means a integrated chip, not a rigged-on Unifying receiver.
USB WWAN. IR module.

2 Likes

Logitech also has a new receiver design called Bolt. Would love to see this version as well.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the advantage of one vs the other?

I am kinda tempted to use one of the internal usb ports and put it entirely inside the case like I did on the t480s

Just pre-ordered the new AMD Ryzen 7 mainboard and Iā€™m stoked to finally upgrade from Intel 11th gen. Iā€™d like to re-use the Intel mainboard for a NAS.

I figured since Iā€™m switching to DDR5 for the AMD mainboard anyways, my Intel 11th gen would be perfect for this application. Itā€™ll be more quiet and use less power than a refurbished server meant for a data center. Down the line, I could even use my 55Wh battery for built in protection from power loss. Just need the 65Wh batteries to come back in stock.

To that end, would a TB4 ā†’ mini SAS/SATA module be possible? Iā€™ve found some small, 4 bay NAS offerings from OWO marketed towards Mac, but I want more drive bays/customization. I would even give up two of the TB4 ports for separate power and data transmission.

I strongly believe the home/medium-size business NAS market could be shaken up by Framework customers reusing their mainboards with the right modules/cases.

61W batteries . . .

A full sas controller in a module is probably not realistic but you could hook it up like an egpu.

But Iā€™d use the nvme slot instead, more reliable and much cheaper. The case and power supply probably be the more complicated part.

it might not fit?
If we make it fit the expansion card would be significantly larger, to account for the space required to house the complete receiver (together with plastic housing).

That do sound sort of overkill however. Maybe we will try something else.

Just take the housing off, the internals are extremely small. Also they run off 3.3v just fine and pull a bit less power. I was not able to get it to sleep at all though so Itā€™ll allways pull the same ammount of power which is not a lot but it is.

1 Like

I know how much people love the expansion cardsā€¦ but after looking at the 3 rows of cards of the 16 inch model, I kind of imagine just having a screw-in slot on my frame.

A whole expansion card for the headphone jack? I would like just to screw in the jack input and having a more solid/unified case surface. Now it kind of looks like a super lego.

What about taking the space of two expansion cards to install a second ssd? The expansion cards look kind of amazing, but since I do not plan on switching them constantly, I would appreciate if the expansions were just internal with an optional port slot on the frame.

1 Like

An SSD only requires one card as it does currently or are you meaning a ful blown NMVe

But supper lego it is

Hmm that would against the two major advantages

• The cards can be moved between not only all the varieties of motherboards and setup, some 9 without the upcoming 16"
  • It takes the wear away from the main board and as such if a port fails itā€™s a user replaceable part

Both of which go to the heart of the Framework design ethos

I see that Framework 16 would have audio jack not as built-in port, but available as an expansion card.

What would be nice to have is split audio, with separate headphone output and microphone input, instead of just combo TRRS audio jack.

This way I would not need to take audio splitter with me when I am using headphones and lavalier microphone (instead of headset).

5 Likes

How difficult or costly would it be for an audio jack module with an usb-c connection too?

Seems a bit wasteful to use a full usb connection just for the audio jack and physically the audio jack and the usb-c port should fit fine. I am guessing there will be similar issues to the double usb-c port module idea, where we could loose PD and video alt mode in the usb-c.

If the cost of adding the usbc port while loosing those two is not very high comparef to just the audio jack, it mightbe worth considering.

1 Like

You are talking about the 16" without a jack.

Doubling up ports has been mentioned, but even getting two USBC ports which are straight throught hasnā€™t been acheivable.

On the 13" the jack would somehow have to connect to the DAC and in the 16" the DAC would have to be incorporated in the expansion card.

You can read about this issues if you search, reading all this topic though is a bit much :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know doubling the port is, letā€™s say, a work in progress, in fact if you read it I mention it on my own post. But the main problem seems to be doubling it while keeping the PD and the video alt mode. Doubling it for data transfer seems to be trivial.

That is why i am saying that adding a usbc port next to the jack, even if it is only for data transfer (as in no PD and no video) would be nice.

I was asking about the dif

1. 16" the jack has a DAC in the Expansion card
  2. In the 13" the DAC is a separte entity so
    a) how to connect the jack to the onboard system via the USB as
    b) getting a DAC in the Expansion card seems unlikely

I am not sure what your questions have to do with my proposal: having a variation of the expansion card with a jack, that also included a usbc port.

But nevertheless, answering your question:

I doubt you can connect the DAC in the 13" to the expansion card, it would be very hackish and different for every expansion card, specially in different sides. In the 13" you would still have the DAC in the expansion card and you would end up with two of everything, which is why this expansion card does not make a lot of sense for the 13".

But again, not sure what your comment has to do with my suggestion of having a usbc port in the expansion card next to the jack.

I feel Iā€™m going in circles a bit.

1. Are you talking about the 13" which has a jack, then why add another
  2. If you are talking about the 16"

The 16" from what I understand has a DAC, getting a USB C through port would seem impossible ~ given thereā€™s no room for 2 x USB C boards I canā€™t see room for a USB C and a DAC and a 3.5mm Jack socket.

Itā€™s only ā€˜wastefulā€™ if, on the FL16, that you need that ā€˜one moreā€™ usb-c portā€¦when all other 5 ports are already simultaneously occupied.

i.e. The logic is: If you have other 5 ports offering the usb-c portā€¦AND decided not to use them. such that you can form this ā€˜wastefulā€™ argumentā€¦then the issue isnā€™t with the port availability.

And then adding more logic to this: If the other 5 ports are already simultaneously occupiedā€¦then youā€™re all plugged inā€¦ May I introduce you to a USB-C hub / dock? (i.e. additional weight of a hub isnā€™t going to matter at that pointā€¦because youā€™re stationary).

The ā€˜wastefulā€™ argument is wasteful on that front.