Which Linux distribution do you want to use on your Framework Laptop?

i want to slap steam os 3.0/arch on mine for shiggles

3 Likes

I’m bringing my 6 year old Arch installation, which started on a Desktop PC, then moved onto a Samsung laptop, followed by my current ThinkPad.

I’ll probably give UbuntuDDE a try.

More accurate to say, perhaps, that the most widely used distros are based on Debian, than Ubuntu? And thus that Frame.work should be testing on the foundation OS, not the descendants?

6 Likes

If credit is what you are after then maybe. However, Ubuntu is more prominent than vanilla Debian for a reason. That is the basis of my rational at least.

Qubes OS.
I expect the fingerprint reader won’t work for now, but I don’t need that.
64GB of memory gives me a lot of flexibility with the VMs, especially with Windows VMs which are, alas, sometimes still needed.

3 Likes

Manjaro is great. Hope it’ll work.

3 Likes

I’d love to run NixOS (my current distro) or Guix on it.

1 Like

I’ll be using the latest version of fedora, possibly even fedora rawhide. it’s a shame you guys don’t deliver to australia yet. id be happy to help with linux testing.

I voted Ubuntu, Mint, and Debian. PopOS! Would be on the short list too.

1 Like

Void Linux, lovely rolling distribution. I rock the glibc version. sway, Wayland, PipeWire, runit - yummy

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I’d probably use Void Linux with bspwm, could be a deadly combo :wink:

2 Likes

MX Linux, you get the stability and depth of Debian, all the MX packages, and all the extra backported newer versions of popular applications.

Star Labs ships their laptops with MX Linux now and its really awesome.
If these Framework laptops are as good as advertised, they would literally fly with MX Linux on them.

2 Likes

@linkert that’s the first time I’ve heard of Void, it looks really awesome!

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Another longtime nixos user here, glad to see so many of us interested in Framework

1 Like

Another vote for NixOS here!

Disappointed Slackware wasnt mentioned :frowning:

1 Like

I just ordered. I’ll test it with rhel8, almalinux and rocky.