Will you be moving to the Framework Laptop 16?

No, the Framework 13" as a portable solution for some work and maybe some light gaming (along with a Nintendo Switch). For heavy work/gaming, I will still revert back to my desktop, which is awaiting an upgrade in perhaps a few years.

Nope I wont be moving from the 13 to the 16.

In fact I just bought another ‘new’ laptop. Well new to me. Its a refurbed 14" Dell lattitude 7480. It cost me £140! (1080p/16GB RAM/250GB SSD) Basically I needed a new work laptop to replace the 2011 E6410 that was solid so I got the Framework but…it just isnt solid enough. It feels too fragile (and expensive) for lugging in and out of dusty filthy server rooms and resting on a range of surfaces with a comms cable etc. I doubt the 16 will be much different, well just more expensive I guess.

So got myself an old junker for work.

1 Like

If the FL16 is going to have this kind of performance, I’ll be all over it:

1 Like

Yes for me the next ‘computer’ upgrade will be my 2016 built X99 Intel 5960X.

it actually does all I need computing wise it’s just rather power hungry. Since the power costs have shot up I downclocked it from 4GHz to just 2.8GHz and a few other tweaks to lower the power draw by 100w. Probably be back to AMD this next time. I was AMD from 1999 to 2016.

I have to say though for a knock about work laptop the Lattitude 7480 is hard to beat. It has an ethernet port built in and stuff!

Not immediately, but probably down the road at some point.

Somewhere without noticing I became old, so it is with mixed feelings that I now find myself checking this site every day for some morsel of news about the 16 like I’m a little kid checking under the Christmas tree to see if there are any new presents for me. Come on Framework, gimme a bone! I’m dyin’ over here.

6 Likes

Oh man @William_Huff tell me about it. Multiple times a day I’m checking this site and reddit

I didn’t even know about the Reddit. Now I’ll have to start checking that too.

Hi @sinatosk

Well you can’t be that old else you may just sit back and wait. What was that? “all good things come to they that wait!”, and that’s what age gives, the ability to wait, but sure maybe not for decades.

So your really having fun just checking up I bet, what would you do when you have the 16? Rest ?

I would not say that I am moving to a FW 16, but I do want to get one. I think that the 16 is more of a desktop replacement for me, and will mostly be stationary and not moved. I tend to take the smallest laptop with me, and so my 13 will still see lots of us.

In general I just want to support Framework. I think what they are doing is very important for the consumer space and computing as a whole. The Framework 16 is further evidence of all of this.

4 Likes

100% this.

To be honest, my little first gen batch 5 FWLT hasn’t seen a whole lot of use. Framework (well, the LTT video) showed up right as my daily driver started making (apparently fake) dying noises. I thought the timing was perfect, but now I’m just sort of waiting for it to kick the bit bucket for real.

I was starting to think about replacing it when I saw Linus’s video and - just like him - ordered one before it was over. It doesn’t quite replace what I have, and I had my doubts just like anyone, but it just made so much sense to support a company like Framework…

I’m quite happy with my 13, even though I haven’t played with it as much as I’d like to. And I am interested in getting some upgrades for it.

I’ll probably get a 16 sometime after they come out, and eventually slot it into my current laptop’s position once it goes. My 13 will still be useful whenever I need to take a machine on the road.

The 16 will more than meet my needs, and I’m definitely into getting more Framework and seeing them grow.

1 Like

I used acer e5-571g with i7-4510U for I don’t know how many years and then the keyboard broke. So I bought Tuxedo Stellaris Gen3 with 5900HX CPU for 2500EUR.
That new laptop is a beast but I’m typing this comment on my old ACER because I plan to sell my Tuxedo. The keyboard is some kind of optomechanical BS where it doesn’t register a key if I click it too softly (even though it passes the bump). And their support is dismissive and rude at times. They didn’t help me fix things and only dragged the matters.

I do have an external mechanical keyboard but I can’t use it all the time. So I can’t stand this up to the point that performance doesn’t matter and I came back to the old laptop.
I bought a new keyboard for my old laptop for 15 EUR and I fixed it myself (ofc I broke several plastic clips on the way as I didn’t know what I was doing and my fan has a bad sound when it spins but what can I do…). 2500EUR for a keyboard which I can’t change vs 15EUR for a membrane keyboard… well the 15EUR is actually a steal…

Oh man… I wish I could buy your laptop in Lithuania… there are no proper choices for me. I.e. don’t buy Tuxedo laptops because not all repairable laptops are actually repairable. They refused to send me a new keyboard to replace it on my own and they don’t have non-ISO layout :cry: even though XMG sells ANSI laptops with the same chassis and is the same kind of child company to Schenker as Tuxedo (yes, XMG and Tuxedo are child companies of the same company who sell builds from Clevo and Tongfang (also System76 also does this the same way (look at their lineups and you’ll see what I mean even though the management is different and I can’t comment on their management styles except from what I experienced with my laptop))).
I’m used to larger laptops but well… FW doesn’t plan to come to my country any time soon.

My plan to order would be to buy a laptop and a spare keyboard so that I’d be able to change it in case I need to.

I’d want a FW16 form factor laptop without that problematic NVidia GPU that caused me so many problems (my Tuxedo laptop can’t connect an external monitor when I use CPU graphics… WTF). I don’t want a gaming laptop, I want a laptop with an ability to offload computation to GPU that can render on CPU graphics.

Actually by giving the choice to not buy NVidia graphics or no graphics at all you actually pack a little punch to NVidia (insert that Linus Torvalds video here). They were improving but it was all a backhanded effort. I’m very happy about being able to buy a GPU later or never… or AMD.

Yes if only to watch that would be my main reason, it’s best show on the road that I’m navigating.

I note your ‘pain’

1 Like

I really want the GPU capabilities. My original plan was to pair the 13 with an external GPU enclosure but the 16 completely derailed those plans. Now I’m going to give my 13 to my mother and get the 16. I’d just like to know what the price is going to be and how long I have to save up for it.

I pretty much live on the road as I’m a truck driver, so a desktop doesn’t work for me. I miss playing 3A games so I’m looking forward to this.

2 Likes

If it has USB4, as it should, then eGPUs will work. Anyone know if this framework-style dGPU has the typical dGPU performance and bandwidth? If so, then the typical eGPU will perform better in every way. I’d prefer to have more M.2, more USB4, and just use the great AMD integrated graphics - no carrying around a heavier and energy inefficient dGPU. Just connect an eGPU when that’s needed which is faster anyway when that work is really needed.

i’m actually really eager to see a preorder or release date announced. My Dell is dying and if the FL 16 starts taking orders within a couple months i’m all in. But if we won’t see these until the end of the year, i’ll need to get something else, which is disappointing.

What leads you to believe that an eGPU will outperform an internal one in the expansion bay?

I can’t even see how to reply to a specific comment on these new fangled forums!

Because desktop GPUs are larger and had to cut fewer corners than laptop GPUs. So long as the USB4 implementation in the AMD frame.work is done right - the eGPU should perform best. Not to mention the laptop being lighter, the GPU being cheaper in most cases (i.e. last gen desktop GPUs), and the cooling being easier. It is actually less proprietary more interchangeable hardware in an eGPU vs a frame.work dGPU… I hope they’re not trying to do too much at once! Lots to perfect already.

EDIT: the above might be off about performance if they’re going to be attaching that thing via direct PCIe - Reddit - Dive into anything

2 Likes

This took me a long time to figure out too, but you highlight the text with your cursor and it’ll give you the quote button. The futurrrrre!

1 Like