Will you be moving to the Framework Laptop 16?

I wonder how the FL16 will fare against something like this (knowing that FL16 isn’t gaming focused)…maybe under the desktop replacement category:

I do wonder if they’ll go with something 7045, on one hand you’d get a lot more cpu power but you’d also get a much worse igpu and would ned an external chip for usb4 or if they’d rather go with a higher power budget 7040 that has built in usb4 and a much better igpu but is capped at 8 cores. Or it might even be intel, afaik we don’t know jet.

Kinda keen for this product. The Framework 16 offers expandability, and the hope of future upgrades in the same laptop. So the modularity of a desktop - that you can move! I’m excited about that.

Have always preferred desktops for that modularity. You can build them however you want. The raw power was nice too, but life changes y’know. I’m less about brute game power now than I am about flexibility - able to upgrade, maintain, and move around with it. But, a laptop for gaming - if anything breaks it’s expensive, the parts are highly specific to that model and may or may not be available, if the manufacturer even set it up in a way to let you repair it without their service agent’s software. HP and their love of DMI tools come to mind.

Framework promises to resolve most of the above problems. Still have to pay for parts - a motherboard isn’t necessarily going to be any cheaper - but the promise is you’ll be able to buy one, or possibly even upgrade to later M/B & CPU while retaining chassis, power, storage, maybe ram, screen… that’s pretty good. Or keep an old M/B around in an alternative case? I do that with desktops, would like to see that in the laptop space.

Lots to look forward to here. Hoping for AMD options, strong preference there.

So yeah, can’t wait to see what this is at release.

Odds that I eventually buy a Framework 16" laptop are pretty good.

In September though… I’d have to sell my 11th gen 13" to make it remotely make sense. I’ve got an old Linux desktop that’s getting near retirement age. Maybe the Framework could be the new gaming computer, and the gaming computer could shuffle over to Linux desktop duty.

My purchase of the 13" was a so-far fruitless experiment to see if I could stop using MacBooks. I prefer Framework’s approach to hardware and prefer Linux, aside from… all the usual MacBook things. The touchpad more than anything else. Just… also everything else.

The 16" looks so cool though.

Hi James and welcome to the forum

To the OP and topic

No I will not be moving from my log cabin in the woods I am not yet a virtual human, long way to go on that. However as an extra toy and to play the Framework game I will find it hard to resist stashing one for fun.

My Gen 11 keeps me in the loop and I expect it will for a decade or more.

Thanks, nice to meet you. I’ve been here a while, but maybe I didn’t post anything before. I see I didn’t reply to the OP’s post, only the subject. Might as well…

Features that are interesting looking to me vs. the Framework Laptop 13:

• Capable (upgradeable) graphics first and foremost, for video games, and probably some hobbyist CAD and computation, what-have-you… the possibility of running without the extra graphics module sometimes could be desirable, to increase portability and extend battery life.
  • One extra port. Four (power + three) is enough by count, most of the time. But what I really want is to always have every port I might use without carrying loose expansion cards, dongles, and hubs; and five is closer to that ideal than four.
  • Potentially more battery life
  • Bigger screen, on balance, though this is more of a mixed tradeoff.
  • The centered touchpad and absence of a numpad. Very important :wink:

I’m not expecting dramatically better speakers, but that’d be very nice to have. Quieter fans under load would be really nice.

Full sRGB coverage is good on the screen. I hope the hardware colors are no wider than sRGB though, so I don’t have to deal with oversaturated non-color managed software (most of it, still).

Six :slight_smile:

And I really want to see one of these 16" with a dozen spare expansion cards at hand, spare battery in the back, FM radio OH! mini fridge, metal detecto and millions of things

I suppose I’ll just have to buy one for fun, who needs a computer, they’re everwhere.

I will replace my old gaming laptop (probably donate it to a thrift store) and get the 16, because of the upgradable GPU and customizable keyboard.

Keeping my trusty gen 11th 13 as it is :grin:

Will old parts (MB, etc) work for 16" chassis?
I’m thinking of getting a Framework13, and eventually getting the chassis from Framework16 so I can connect a GPU.
Will the lower cover of Framework 16 be able to work with 13" screen? (I figured it would be lighter).

Hi and welcome to the forum

Physically a board from the 13.5" will fit, but good luck getting it to work, so If you were thinking of slotting in, . . .

This has been discussed before, if you search you may find some more info

1 Like

I plan to, but it greatly depends on the GPU options available, and power delivery. I have an MSI GP76 Leopard for my gaming needs and it does everything it can drawing from 230 watts. If the 16 only uses USB-C that is going to put a large constraint on performance.

But I will be watching!

The expansion bay cards can have their own power inputs if they want to.

1 Like

240W is the current capability of USB-PD (2.1) charging…if implemented.

Old news: New USB-C Type 2.1 standard offers up to 240 W power delivery | Ars Technica

Also, historically, with the FL 13 inch, there are two thunderbolt controllers. So really, if we assume the 16inch will also have two thunderbolt controllers (at least), then it could, in theory, be implemented with 240w x 2.

Well that helps. Thanks!

Yes, I will be. I’ve been waiting exactly for something like this. I sold my other laptop to a family member so it’s not going to waste.

My wishlist:

• 120hz, 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 (16:10) IPS screen (with a quick response time, don’t want any ghosting), I would prefer not to have an OLED due to burn-in concerns
  • 8 core Ryzen high performance mobile CPU with 3D VCache (for all cores, not just half)
  • mid/high end mobile AMD GPU using RDNA3 (don’t want Nvidia, I plan to use Linux which has better AMD drivers)
  • Two M.2 slots would be preferred, but not a necessity

They make those? But yeah the mixed vcache thing has been a bit of a misstep imo.

Honestly on mobile I’d rather have a no vcache monolithic design for better power efficiency than vcache and needing an iodie. If you just want 8 cores the 7040 series has got you covered, though I could see them going with a 7045 or more likely something intel on the 16 inch.

I’d get an AMD 16, and im also going to upgrade my 13 to AMD. Once that’s done ill be giving it to my mother to replace her ancient ivy bridge laptop.

1 Like

There haven’t been any official announcements yet, it’s just on my wishlist. Mobile CPUs tend to have less cache than desktop CPUs and they are clocked lower. The Ryzen X3D chips for desktop are very power efficient though so in theory they wouldn’t need to be cut down as much to fit the mobile power budget.

Obviously YES. The Framework 16 is my dream laptop in so many ways, im buying it. I’ll figure out what to use it for later. I also have a 1240p Framework 13, and it would love a big brother in the house.

3 Likes

They do have really good perf per watt, they still got idle power consumption that would be way too much for any serious mobile application. The mobile chips these days are not really cut down versions of the desktop ones, in some regards they are even better than the desktop ones. In the case of amd those are entirely separate monolithic chips instead of the chiplet ones that are used on desktop. Chiplets are cheaper to manufacture and more scalable as you can use multiple of them but there is power overhead for the interconnects and the IO-die which is often on an older node. Not sure if the 7045 series uses the same chiplets as desktop so a x3d might still happen.

1 Like