Windows 10 Home Users

Do you have these options under Update & Security, Device Encryption?

I’m just trying to understand these easter egg.

Drive encryption via BitLocker is only available on Windows 10 Pro. So to me your settings page looks as expected.

Edit: Just to explain a little further, logging in with a Microsoft account won’t give you any more options here. You would need an account AND a Pro license for that.

I believe that’s only true for “standard BitLocker encryption.” Logging in with a Microsoft account will complete “device encryption”, which is full disk encryption for Windows 10/11 Home users.

1 Like

Apologies for the misleading info, thanks @DHowett for the correction.

1 Like

Thank you Nandor and DHowett for your quick reply. This option is only on this framework laptop. I do have a Acer Nitro 5 with i5 9300H gaming laptop without the option. Very odd.

@Victor_Orozco_Jr There are some requirements for device encryption to be available. It might be the Acer simply does not comply with Microsofts standard. I’ll see if I can find official documentation on that, cause I’m curious now aswell.

According to Microsoft, if a device is eligible for device encryption it will be enabled automatically following a clean install of Windows 10 or 11.

Logging in the administrator with a Microsoft account then seems to be required as a recovery key will be uploaded to that account.

As your settings page shows, your Windows installation is still awaiting this.

The difference between “Pro” BitLocker and standard “device encryption” seems to be mostly in the options to set what is encrypted and how. With standard you don’t get to choose anything, except to opt out of encryption at all.

Nevertheless I’d expect the experience with device encryption enabled to be quite seamless.

More information can be found here: Overview of BitLocker Device Encryption in Windows - Windows security | Microsoft Docs