Windows Server 2022 on Framework 13 (AMD 7840U)

Hello everyone!

I have a question if anyone has done this. I had the idea of installing a Type 1 Hypervisor on my laptop, so my host OS is very low on resources and then having different VMs running that I’ll use for daily work. Like Windows and Linux side by side but separate. But this is more difficult then I first thought, so I ended up around Windows Server 2022.
I am a collage ICT (network) student, so the school gave me all sort of licenses, including Server 2022.
So my idea was, to have that as my main OS, but then through HyperV use different VM’s for all the stuff.

What do you guys think?
Kind regards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Windows server isn’t designed to run on a laptop. I would expect you run into problems with power consumption, modern standby and maybe loading drivers.

I think you should pick either Windows 11 or Linux as your OS (whichever you’ll use more frequently) and then load up VMs for the other as needed.

BTW If you don’t have previous experience with WSL2 it’s quite impressive how well integrated with Windows these days. VSCode will work with WSL, so you can easily do a lot of Linux development in Windows this way too. With WSLg you can even run Wayland GUI applications from WSL.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, Hyper-V is a Type 1 Hypervisor even on client editions of Windows.

WSL is pretty good these days, as @Mario_Limonciello mentions!

2 Likes

As others said, WSL.

However if you are worried about resource usage I would run a linux host. It will be eminently more configurable and lightweight than Windows. libvirt makes things very easy.

1 Like

Something like Windows LTSC or RHEL might be more suitable for you, if they are available.

Alternatively, Framework recommends Fedora, Ubuntu, or regular Windows.

1 Like

Thank you all for replying. The idea was good that I had, but like everyone said, it will not work with Server 2022. I just wanted to use that license I think.

Been looking into Windows LTSC, but don’t have a license for it. Is there a way to get one?
RHEL also a good idea, but that also with a license I think?

I think from what you’ve said thus far you’re probably better off with a “regular” Linux install + libvirt.

You’ll have a nice UI to manage the VMs. If you need to run Windows you have access to licenses for the VMs.
You’ll have the proper hardware support at the “hypervisor” level for power management and suspend.

If you want something like RHEL, Centos Stream and Fedora are upstream community maintained distributions (no license). You will get 95% of the utilities in RHEL except for some of their administrative tools I think.